Flooding within few minutes of rain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flooding within few minutes of rain

It really is sad to think about how garbage impacts the drainage system in my country. Most people here do not care about their garbages and throw them away anywhere. In turn, streets are polluted with litter. And when it rains, problema arise.

Even just a few minutes of moderate rainfall can wreak havoc in my city. Flood fills most streets and it rises high so fast too. Classes are always suspended during these times because of the flood. All because of the undisciplined people who cannot throw their garbage in proper places.

Even if laws are implemented, what are their sense if the people cannot even follow them?

The thing that's very concerning right now is the potential of more severe floods when storm season comes. If the streets are already flooded with only a few minutes of rain, what more when continuous rains will come? It seems like the people never really learned much from the great flood that happened in September of 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by gracer View Post
      The thing that's very concerning right now is the potential of more severe floods when storm season comes. If the streets are already flooded with only a few minutes of rain, what more when continuous rains will come? It seems like the people never really learned much from the great flood that happened in September of 2009.
      Hay, we never really learn.

I see roads being repaired and they are building higher roads which is kind of nonsense. Why not go to the root of the problem of floods? The drainage system and the overflow of garbage on the streets. And they should have fixed that before the rainy season has come.

And the people always complain about floods when all along they have never really followed rules. Garbage everywhere then it blocks the drainage. Let us just hope and pray that an Ondoy part 2 will not happen.

Comment

This has become an epidemic, people have no idea of the outcome of their actions right at that very moment when it's taken place. It's quite heinous to bump into these disasters. Most of them are avoidable, but playing with someone else's safety has turned into a skill we all seem to be professionals at. Global Warming is just a warning. if we aim to have a promising future, taking action upon these issues now is imperative.

Comment

Originally posted by noachleo View Post
          This has become an epidemic, people have no idea of the outcome of their actions right at that very moment when it's taken place. It's quite heinous to bump into these disasters. Most of them are avoidable, but playing with someone else's safety has turned into a skill we all seem to be professionals at. Global Warming is just a warning. if we aim to have a promising future, taking action upon these issues now is imperative.
          Yeah, the things we do now will affect not only our generation but also the future generations. I wish we all think about the future of our children and grandchildren. There will come a time that they will not be able to enjoy the beauty of the world all because of our selfishness.

Comment

For those living in the Philippines, how often do you experience flooding? I would certainly be interested in hearing more about how often this happens and the impact it has on your daily lives.

On a related note, have any of the governments plans to build a dam in Marikina City, raise the flood plain along the Laguna Lake and improve the Pasig-Marikina river taken place yet? If I recall correctly, these plans were first pledged back in 2012 although I haven't seen any updates as to whether these have actually been implemented as of yet.

Comment

It's the same here where I live. Not just do roads flood easily during periods of rain, but the water is also dirty and you can catch diseases from it. One of the worst polluted areas in my region is the big river that runs through our town. Ironically, it's the major water source here, and yet, people still throw their garbage into it and poison it with agricultural chemicals. A while ago there was a case where a boy fell into the river and barely survived a hepatitis infection.
              My question is: how or when does it happen that people begin to disassociate themselves from their natural surroundings and from common sense? Why would they defecate into the water that they drink?

Comment

Yes, I believe this is called a flash flood? Where a month or two's worth of rain is downpoored withing 1 day. They had one in Boscastle once. It was terrible, luckily no one got killed in that incident but this one is a disaster. Where I live, it's okay because there is not much rain at all.

Comment

In the world so many cities, towns and place will face floods due to rain that too small amount of rain in their area that is because of just failure of the proper flow of the rain water to rivers or dams. So of the cause of floods are due to
                  1. Constructing buildings near water bodies by removing their existing on the earth.
                  2. No proper fowl of rain water through drainage.
                  3. Not creating proper channel to fowl the rain water.
                  https://www.rapidresponse.org.in

Comment

Working...
                  X