Japan heat wave leaves 3 dead, more than 3000 hospitalized

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Heat] Japan heat wave leaves 3 dead, more than 3000 hospitalized

India, Pakistan and Europe have been hit hard with heat waves over the last month and now Japan is suffering through a heat wave of their own which has left 3 people dead and hospitalized more than 3000 others. Temperatures in Tokyo have exceeded 95F / 35 C so far this week causing the death of a 92-year-old man after he collapsed in a field. Average temperatures across Japan are up dramatically over the last week rising from 86 to 95 degrees. The highest temperature of 102.74 degrees was recorded in Tatebayashi in the Gunma Prefecture.

More can be read here.

3000 hospitalized? That is a lot. I can only hope that the Japanese government are doing everything they can to advise people of the most effective ways in which they can keep cool. Similarly, I hope that employers are giving their staff a little leeway in such conditions, it would be unreasonable to expect them to perfom at their optimum in that kind of heat.

Comment

A few tips that can come in handy
      1.drink sufficient amounts of water often, even if you are not thirsty (to avoid dehydration).
      2.Always use Protection when out,more like gloves,sleeve cover ups etc.

I use Ice water in my cooler and apply It libberally to my face/body,pedestal fan and overhead fan hitting me as well.Maybe that too can help.

Comment

Originally posted by missbishi View Post
        3000 hospitalized? That is a lot. I can only hope that the Japanese government are doing everything they can to advise people of the most effective ways in which they can keep cool. Similarly, I hope that employers are giving their staff a little leeway in such conditions, it would be unreasonable to expect them to perfom at their optimum in that kind of heat.
        Typically, Japan are very good about being proactive and being prepared for heat waves. The Japan Meteorological Agency have posted heat advisories across the country in public areas as can be seen in the photo below.

Photo Copyright: Denisse Rauda / Stars and Stripes.

Japan Today reports that a fourth person has now died from the heat with a total of 3,058 treated for heat exhaustion.
        Last edited by dillinger10; 07-15-2015, 12:20 PM.

Comment

It's a terrible thing seeing that people are actually dying because of the heat and seeing that thousands of people are hospitalized for that sort of thing. Nowadays, especially in third world country (Japan is not necessarily one of those but heat waves are still common) people have to take extra precautions regarding heat waves and climate changes.

Comment

Ever since a neighbor of mine died of heatwave, I drink water more than I needed and don't have to wait to be thirsty to do so. On the bright side of this situation this incident in Japan have less casualties than the ones in Pakistan and India. Drinking water is not really a hard task but people always seemed to forget it. They were too busy that they forget this simple task that can keep them alive. Don't come out of your house until without hydrating your self. I know some people refuse to drink water because they don't went to pee in the middle of their busy day.

Comment

Quoted from the article:

''A survey conducted by Showa University Professor Yasufumi Miyake revealed that over 2,400 people have died from heatstroke in Japan over five years until 2014 and nearly 80 percent of them were aged 70 or above, the Japan Times reported.''

It is quite alarming that most deaths from the heat are old people aged 70 above. I researched why and here are the reasons:

1. They do not adjust well to changes in temperature as compared to young people.
              2. They probably have chronic medical conditions that hinder their body's capacity to respond to heat.
              3. They probably take medications that hinder their body's ability to sweat.

As we are younger, we need to help the older generation get throught extreme heat. Always offer them water to hydrate them. Check up on them often to see any signs of heat stroke. And convince them to stay indoors to stay cooler.

Comment

Extreme weather will always claim the most fragile ones first. But, having lived in Australia most of my life, I have to say that a lot of those "oldies" are much tougher than me. They can tolerate hot, humid weather much better than younger generations. And I think it has a lot to do with energy preservation. People accustomed to hot climates know that you have to stay indoors and take it easy when temperatures soar above 30C, no matter how much you want to get out and do what you have to do. The majority of people, who aren't used to excessively hot weather, are ignorant about the fact that, under the "right" circumstances, you can collapse from heat exhaustion within 15 minutes.

Comment

The summer season is already over in my country, My biggest concern is the monsoon . It seemed like many people had been dying from dehydration and heatwave, its something that we can all prevent or avoid if we will only just drink water and knee our selves hydrated. I know there are some people who thinks climate change is not real but with all the crazy weather is going on, its real.

I think elderly people were more vulnerable from heatwaves because the older we get, the less thirsty we get. Most older people drinks less water. This why earlier I advice to drink water even if yo are not thirsty.

Comment

This is really sad. I've realized that a number of countries have been affected by heat waves so far this year and many persons have died. In my country, although I haven't heard of heat waves so far, meteorologists have noted record high temperatures since the start of the summer season. Therefore, the possibility exists that we could be affected negatively by the intense heat as well. We have been encouraged to avoid direct exposure to the sun during the days where possible and to keep as cool as possible. Drinking a lot of water is crucial as well, and eating foods that have high water content. Also it is best to be in well ventilated areas.

Comment

These heat waves are more and more common, not only in Japan, but also in many countries in the world. The main problem is that there is a huge climate variation from one day to another and many of the affected areas are not prepared for so much heat. Naturally the more fragile people suffer and this is normally older people.

Comment

Another heat wave over the weekend in Japan has caused the deaths of six more people and left another 3,000 citizens hospitalized. Sine June, almost 40 people have now been killed by heatstroke in Japan, while some 25,000 have been admitted to hospitals. Temperatures are routinely exceeding 100 F.

More can be read here.

Comment

Working...
                        X