Earth Hour

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earth Hour

Since this forum is dedicated to natural disasters, I thought of posting about the upcoming Earth Hour on March 19. It has been a yearly worldwide effort to individually turn off all lights and energy consuming items as a way of contributing to Earth Hour. Just an hour of turning off our lights can greatly contribute in the conservation of our planet.

What can you say about this yearly course of action to counteract climate change? Do you also join the millions of people all over the world who participate in the Earth Hour?

I don't consider Earth Hour a game changer. It's just a small event. Even if it captures the entire world. To make a real change we must save the enegry on a consistent level. An hour per year is cernainly not enough.

Comment

I'll definitely join in, besides, it doesn't take that much time or effort to save yourself some money by turning off the lights. Just charge up a phone or tablet beforehand and watch some movies if you want to entertain yourself. I found it great making a little tent out of blankets and letting the kids play in there with a torch and some books. Earth Hour won't save the world, but it will influence people to think differently and perhaps change their attitude towards the way they use electricity so excessively.
      gracer likes this.

Comment

I'm only somewhat familiar with the event. While I doubt it would have a huge impact upon the energy consumption of the world, drawing attention to the idea of using less is a positive thing. So, yes, I could see participating.
        gracer and pwarbi like this.
        "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

Comment

As far as I see it, I don't think that earth hour is meant to be 'a game changer' as its been called, and they're not saying that by doing this we're going to save the planet. For me it's more about raising awareness and getting people talking and thinking about what were doing to the earth, and maybe how we can do things a bit differently.
          gracer likes this.

Comment

Oh yes, I always participate in Earth Hour. The event is about creating social awareness of the big picture and focussing the world's attention on climate change and demonstrating that as a society and a global community, that we actually *care* what happens to our planet - people power and all that!
            gracer likes this.

Comment

My sister actually works for the Environment Department in our local city government office. All month long they have been preparing for this Earth Hour event. And since she has worked there for about three years now, my family also joins in turning off the lights for that one hour every year. And although it's just a small move, it has big impacts because it's spreading the message of how important energy conservation is. If we could spread this information, more people will know and understand just how switching off the lights or unplugging the plugs can be helpful. And if we do that everyday, just imagine how much energy we can conserve. Here's an article I found about it:

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/20...oin-earth-hour
              gracer likes this.

Comment

As I write this post, Earth Hour has already been finished and I think it has been a success as it did for the past years it has been practiced. I just hope that it doesn't only stop with just a single hour of every year. As what Briannagodess said, if we practice saving energy each and everyday just by simply turning off our lights when we're not using them, unplugging appliances even when they're turned off, and becoming more responsible in our daily electric consumption, we could do a good contribution in combating the further occurrence of climate change.

Comment

Working...
                X