Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why natural disasters are more common nowadays?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why natural disasters are more common nowadays?

Do you feel that earth is becoming a very dangerous place to live nowadays? Everyday we can see news of some of other kind of disasters across the globe. Scientists agree on the fact that these calamities have a direct linkage to sudden climatic change and global warming. So almost all disasters are man made disasters. We wanted to destroy mother nature for our safety and selfish needs and finally it has come to a stage where there is no safety at all.

But it is a relief that the number of deaths due to natural calamities is reduced in recent times. Thanks to the focus on disaster preparedness and prevention programmes.

jlutzcurtis likes this.

No, I don't feel that it is any more dangerous now due to natural disasters. What we do have now is 24/7 global news that sensationalizes every storm or other disaster that happens. There have been frequent widespread disasters all through history, but it is only recently that they have received such coverage. If you start to research disasters in years past you will quickly see that they were common and severe then too.

My grandparents and in-laws could speak of severe windstorms, blizzards, heatwaves, dust storms, etc. from personal experience, but I have not experienced most of those in my lifetime. The old-timers just stoically accepted natural disasters as part of life and rebuilt, rather than hysterically calling for the government to do something as is common these days.
    dillinger10 likes this.

Comment

its really to early to say if its really increasing because We don't have good data prior to the advent of satellites in the 1950's.The trends maybe due to climate change, but yes definitely too early to even arrive at a conclusion.
      Growing population and global warming have an impact but not final on the extent or the factor.

Comment

Global warming definitely has its say in all the disasters happening around the world, but I don't think our planet is becoming more dangerous because of it. I just think the media coverage is much bigger and the reporters are fast on broadcasting the latest disasters, not as slow as it was in the past.

Comment

Jim makes some excellent points regarding the media coverage. This absolutely plays a large role in people's perceptions. I know that last year when we discussed the frequency of earthquakes and took a look at the numbers, we found that geophysical disasters (including earthquakes, volcanoes, landslides and avalanches) has remained very stable since the 1950's.
          fcphdJim likes this.

Comment

I'm not really sure if natural disasters are more common now, but I think they are. My parents usually tell me that when they were young natural disasters were not that common... And I think this has definitely something to do with climate change and global warming, i do believe in them and I think that they're becoming bigger and bigger, for example: my city used to have one of the bests weathers in all the country, not that hot in summer and not that cold in winter, but now the weather has progressively become more extreme, and this is scary, imagine how it will be in a couple of years? And not just my city, earth in general will become a more dangerous place to live in.

Comment

Originally posted by talk2me View Post
              Do you feel that earth is becoming a very dangerous place to live nowadays? Everyday we can see news of some of other kind of disasters across the globe. Scientists agree on the fact that these calamities have a direct linkage to sudden climatic change and global warming. So almost all disasters are man made disasters. We wanted to destroy mother nature for our safety and selfish needs and finally it has come to a stage where there is no safety at all.

But it is a relief that the number of deaths due to natural calamities is reduced in recent times. Thanks to the focus on disaster preparedness and prevention programmes.

You've sorted out some great points. Nowadays often natural disasters are hitting in the earth various places. And the danger all man made, we need to become very kind to our mother nature, so that the environment balance become stable. And natural disaster reduces significantly.

Comment

Working...
              X