No announcement yet.

56% of 100 cities most exposed to natural hazards are located in four countries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56% of 100 cities most exposed to natural hazards are located in four countries

According to the 2015 Natural Hazards Risk Atlas, 56% of the 100 cities most-exposed to hazards are located in 4 Asian Countries. Philippines leads the list with 21 cities followed by China 16 cities, Japan 11 and 8 in Bangladesh. The analysis considers the combined risk posed by tropical storms and cyclones, floods, earthquakes, tsunamis, severe storms, extra-tropical cyclones, wildfires, storm surges, volcanoes and landslides. http://maplecroft.com/portfolio/new-...sk-maplecroft/

Look like most of Asia gets the worst of it. The Philippines is already a disaster prone country and foreign aid and international relief efforts are pretty much a recurring phenomenon over there. China may yet put up some measures at some point seeing as how they are now becoming poised to become a green energy power house just by passing a resolution last year. Japan is developed and may have that political power to do something since they were already given an example of what would happen if they didn't at Fukushima.

Comment

Oh my, I did not realize that China had so may cities at high risk of natural disaster. I guess I am just not very well educated about China. I was aware that Japan had a lot of risks, as well as the Philippines. Seeing Bangladesh on the list is very sad though. They are such a poor country, they are not equipped to deal with natural disasters, or even really prepare for them.

Comment

China has more cities of high risk natural disaster than india.?
        I can understand Philippines and Japan,but how is India not there on that list..? i mean i am happy it is not there in that list but still it is quite baffling to note that india is relatively safe than other Asian countries.

Comment

I would have expected the U.S. to make this list. China and other Eastern countries are heavily populated as well, which is one of the reasons for making the list. I still think that the U.S. should have made it because we have tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards, floods, volcanoes, and earthquakes. I just don't see any other region with that much activity but maybe I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by mairj23 View Post
            I would have expected the U.S. to make this list. China and other Eastern countries are heavily populated as well, which is one of the reasons for making the list. I still think that the U.S. should have made it because we have tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards, floods, volcanoes, and earthquakes. I just don't see any other region with that much activity but maybe I'm wrong.
            No you are wrong.They have taken into consideration the intensity of these disasters.US has loads of disasters attacking the country,but the severity on comparison is a tad lower than what it happens in the asian countries.Just lent a thought.

Comment

"Recurring phenomenon" is an overstatement. Anyway, you don't live in the Philippines so you don't really have an idea of what's happening here like for real. FYI, all countries are prone to disaster and the statistical data that the thread started provided only pertain to natural disasters and not disaster in general. International efforts have done little to help calamity-struck areas in the Philippines get back on their feet (some were even just for show if not limited to relief goods). And though domestic efforts may have been slow, everyone's recovering at their own pace. Some have already recovered with flying colors. No need to blow this part out of proportion.

Comment

As disastrous as this is for the countries mentioned, I know that it is a good idea to check the weather predictions before visiting any of them or even stay away. However, I do feel for the people of these countries as they have experienced much disaster over the last period. It only seems to be increasing. I do hope they get all the help they need to put their lives back together.

Comment

It's really sad that my country has the highest number of cities prone to natural disasters and hazards. Well, we are located in the Pacific region so we are prone to tropical storms. And not only that, as because we are located in the Pacific Ring of Fire, we are prone to earthquakes and volcanic eruption.

Comment

Working...
                  X