The World's Most Common Natural Disasters By Country

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The World's Most Common Natural Disasters By Country

I thought this was an interesting article. Using 114 years of research, Apparently, the US is the most disaster prone due to our high incidence of earthquakes. China and the Philippines are numbers two and three. While this article is focused on insurance, it has some interesting data.

California’s earthquake is a reminder that nature doesn’t always play nice. But just where do these disasters occur the most?
    januz101 and ASurvivor like this.
    Live your dream, don't dream your life.
    Chris L-S, CEO/Owner/Administrator, Disaster.Com

That is an interesting article and graph. Thanks for sharing it. I'm not to surprised the US tops the list considering the size and layout of our country. I was a little surprised to find that the "tropical cyclone" percentage was so small due to "hurricane alley" down south. Granted, earthquakes are far more common.
    "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

Comment

I was kind of surprised to see the Phillipines as #3... but they are on the ring of fire (although so are lots of other countries).
      Live your dream, don't dream your life.
      Chris L-S, CEO/Owner/Administrator, Disaster.Com

Comment

As sad as it seems, Philippines which is my country is one of the regular hotspots of natural disaster.. Though I'm still thankful that we survived all of those, still being hit by numerous disasters in the past left us nothing but hardships. But I don't have any regrets being born here as we have a strong standing heritage of helping others in times of need.

Comment

That's definitely an interesting read. Thanks for sharing. I had no idea that those kind of stats were even calculated regularly. I'm amazed at the amount of storms in the US that they talked about in an article. When I think of disasters and things like that I almost never think of storms. It's also crazy that flood loss insurance was nearly 10 million dollars. It's be interesting to have a book that sited all of these facts for every country for the last 100 years. I may be a nerd but I like the idea of being able to just learn that information.

Comment

The Philippines have around 20 tropical storms or typhoons crossing its Area of Responsibility per year. That alone will put it in third place. Also, the lack of infrastructure projects to stem the flooding adds to the dangers in it. Next, it is in the ring of fire. The buildings are only made to withstand around 7 intensity quakes, based on the Building code (I need to search more if this has been updated). The sad thing is, most people do not have insurance with the Act of God clause to protect them financially.

Comment

It is understandable that Philippines is a place where suffer most common natural disasters. However, I do not expect that US is at the top of the list. I am surprised to see that Japan is not as disastrous as I have expected. There are several severe earthquakes which are still impressive in my mind.

Comment

Great article. Thank you for sharing it. When you think about it though, the United States has every type of ecosystem here that you find around the world and not just one or two like most countries. We have; massive (super) volcanoes, major fault lines, deserts, savannahs, mountains, tropical areas, swamps, etc... so naturally, we would have the highest disaster rate. There are very few countries that have the diversity of environments as we do. So it makes a lot of sense that the US is #1 on that list.

Comment

I know that Philippines is included. It's so obvious that we suffer many disasters in a year. We suffer massive typhoons 15-20 times a year, causing deaths and casualties. However, as one have said, I didn't expect US to be at the top of the list.

Comment

Working...
                  X