Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of natural disaster is most likely to happen in your area?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of natural disaster is most likely to happen in your area?

I live in CA so my answer is earthquakes. We also get droughts. Previously I lived on the east coast where hurricanes were prevalent. I know much more about preparing for hurricanes than I do earthquakes. What about where you live?

I'm from Malta and I'd probably say earthquake. We're right on top of the edge of one of the Earth's plates. Still, we've only had a serious earthquake in 1693. It was really bad though, most of the architecture was destroyed. At least no one is reported to have died.

Comment

Honestly i feel,since we are near to the coast,we are vulnerable to Tsunamis and Earthquakes.There are also chances of cyclone formation in here.Apart from that there is no big vulnerability.Man made list though is huge.

Comment

I live in the Philippines, and we are in the Pacific Ring of Fire. We always have earthquakes though they are not that strong. Typhoons are also very likely to happen here. Recently, we have been experiencing stronger typhoons such as Haiyan. Flash floods due to typhoons are also very common with thousands of people usually being displaced.

Comment

Thanks for your responses so far! I love the international community on here. There are so many interesting perspectives from all over the world. Keep 'em coming!

Comment

I think flooding and landslide is most likely to happen to my area. I live on a valley. There is frequent raining. The rain is heavy especially in summer. We have already got several black rain and red rain warmings this summer. The management office and the sewage department need to check the slope and the drainage system before summer to prevent possible disaster each year.

Comment

I live in Winnemucca Nevada, we are prone to brush fires mostly, but we have the potential for earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. If there is an earthquake I'm high tailing it out of the area because these are dormant volcanoes and earthquakes would indicate possible eruptions. Because the area I am in is a valley surrounded by mountains, flood is also a big possible for me to.

Comment

I am in Reno. We are not subject to a large number of different disasters, and most of those tend to be moderate and short duration. However, like kevinkimers said, we are at risk from some catastrophic major ones. Fortunately, they do not happen very often. But if one does, it is going to be very, very, bad.

Just my opinion.
                Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best and always remember TANSTAAFL
                (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A Heinlein)

Comment

In NE Washington our most likely threats are wildfires and severe winter weather. However, in the summer of 2012 we had a freak windstorm (possibly a derecho) that snapped off trees and power poles and knocked out power across the entire county, so other unexpected disasters are obviously possible. If Mount Rainier were to ever erupt, we would likely be directly in the path of the ash plume.

Comment

In India during rainy seasons landslides are common. A lot of people become prey to this disaster every year and it is on the rise. Deforestation is considered as the main reason behind this. Floods are common in some parts of the country but not a countrywide phenomenon. This can be attributed to the poor seepage systems present in some of the metro cities. Few years back tsunami also struck our coastal areas and a lot of people died.

Comment

I live in a mountainous area so landslides are very common here especially during the rainy season. One of our major roads which has been totally wiped out because half of the mountain that contains part of the road has literally collapsed because of continuous strong rains from last year's storms.

Comment

Working...
                      X