Construction Workers Buried Alive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Construction Workers Buried Alive

3 construction workers, who were all cousins were buried alive while working on a construction site in Antipolo, Philippines at 8:30 AM yesterday. They were installing a cement post for the 2-story building they were working on when the soil around them suddenly collapsed. They were buried in a 12 cubic foot of soil, which was believed to have loosened because of the wastewater released from nearby houses. It wasn't stated in the article but according to the TV news report I have watched yesterday, the contractor and Engineer of the project claimed that he didn't know about the state of the soil they were working on but his statement is questionable for me.

As an engineer, isn't it supposed to be his responsibility to check on the overall safety and integrity of the area he's going to work on? The management of the construction have volunteered to shoulder the expenses of the funeral and burial of the workers but I don't think it should end that way. Obviously, there was negligence on the part of the management and I think the workers who died deserve more than just funeral and burial compensation.

Here's an article on the story:

http://www.philstar.com/nation/2016/...polo-landslide
    SashaS likes this.

The management and the engineers tasked to oversee that project should be held accountable for the deaths of those construction workers. This wasn't just a case of negligence. There weren't enough safety measures imposed. The management was lax and the engineers were not careful.
    gracer likes this.

Comment

I agree with what you said xTinx. There rules and the law should really be more strictly implemented with this kind of industry because it's a very risky field. I always feel mad for the ordinary workers and their families every time accidents like these happen because there's just not much tooth for contractors and management on construction businesses. The workers are the ones who exert the most in making construction projects possible and yet they are not protected well.
      SashaS likes this.

Comment

Its a shame these kinds of things happen. These workers are usually underpaid for the risky work that they do and its often the case that those individuals are only working in those high risk jobs because they have no other choice. This is the case here in South Africa, where there are illegal miners risking their lives in improvised mines hoping to get a nugget of gold after a month's work. There needs to be more regulation in these industries and the workers should be more protected. Not only are the workers put in harm's way, but the families, as they are most likely relying on their husbands/fathers for their income.
        gracer likes this.

Comment

I think we have the same situation with regards to the mining and construction industry SashaS. It's really sad to think that these workers are willing to risk their lives in their jobs so they could have something to take home for their families. In a news interview after the incident, the wife of one of the workers who died said that this thing has left her with a double burden because not only did she lost a husband but she also lost her brother in the incident. The brother also has a family with kids who depend solely on his salary for their daily needs.
          SashaS likes this.

Comment

I found an article stating that investigators are looking into the possibility of the contractors being liable for the incident. The name of the company wasn't stated though. They say it will took them about a week before declaring a statement about the case.

I'm with you on this one, as contractors and engineers, they do have the responsibility of making sure that the area is safe for building an establishment. I hope the families pursue this case and not be contented with just the funeral expenses shouldered by the company. After all, if they're not reprimanded and punished, this incident might happen again.

Sadly, lots of families assume that when a company shoulders the expenses for the funeral, it's fine already. They don't pursue the case anymore especially if the company gives them some more financial assistance. For me, lives are lost and money cannot pay for that.
            The Antipolo City government is looking into the possible liability of the contractor involved in the private construction site where three workers died and two more sustained injuries in a
            gracer likes this.

Comment

Working...
            X