Crane Collapse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crane Collapse

A 565-foot crane collapsed in Lower Manhattan today, killing one person and injuring three others. Two of the three have life-threatening injuries. Details and photographs for this story are available on CNN here.
    "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

I read that the crane operators were removing civilians from the area when they were lowering the crane. But there were still civilians involved in the accident due to falling debris. I'd say it's good that they were able to remove most people from the area and saved some more lives.

But it irks me that they only have inspection of the cranes and trucks now after this incident. I think the authorities should inspect such vehicles on a regular basis since they are used in public places as well. I hope they learn a lesson from this and conduct regular screenings and maintenance schedule checks for such cranes and trucks.

Comment

Here's a follow-up report of the crane collapse that gave NYC a scare: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...368086461.html. Shops in the neighborhood have started operating again. The incident propelled the NYC government to improve crane safety. Citizens will be informed of crane operations so they will take care to avoid construction sites and potential dangers.

Comment

xTinx Thank you for the update! It baffles me that it is only now that the authorities are looking into crane safety issues. But I guess, this is one accident where we all can learn from. It's not just the authorities but also us, the civilians, as well. We should really try to avoid places where there are cranes because we never know when an accident might happen. I hope that the authorities will use the power of the internet to warn citizens whenever there are constructions going on.

Comment

Briannagodess But let's just hope that they do look into the Internet for this reason. People search the Internet for other things and looking at constructions sites with cranes in their area may be the last thing on their minds. Safety campaigns may be in order.

Comment

Originally posted by xTinx View Post
            Briannagodess But let's just hope that they do look into the Internet for this reason. People search the Internet for other things and looking at constructions sites with cranes in their area may be the last thing on their minds. Safety campaigns may be in order.
            I guess that's true. Maybe more warnings on news networks and show will suffice as well. Then maybe bulletin board announcements might also work. There really are many options to warn people about construction sites and cranes. I hope the authorities make use of all of these methods so that more people can benefit from it.

The thing with people is, we're so busy. We tend to overlook such things and warnings. If an incident like this hasn't happened, I doubt the authorities would even send out warnings about crane operations. It takes an incident like this to keep us on alert.

Comment

Most construction company are after making money and they are not serious about their workers safety. The use of old machinery has resulted to many accidents. Poor designs have also contributed to the accidents that we are experiencing lately. The use of substandard materials in construction can lead to such accidents.

Comment

Working...
              X