No announcement yet.

450 LPG cylinders explode inside truck in Punjab, no casualty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder how that guy got out of it unscathed. This happened pretty close to where I live. These drivers don't know sh*t about the safety rules. They just transport these from one place to another as fast as possible. I wonder who's to blame.

Comment

There was another incident involving a driver of a LPG tanker in India today. According to the report, one of the tires burst which lead to the truck catching fire and falling into a roadside canal. Unfortunately, the driver was killed instantly, though a major tragedy was avoided as the truck was empty at the time of the accident.

Perhaps bala and calicer1996 can give us a better picture as to how often accidents involving LPG tankers take place in India. Were these just isolated incidents or are they common occurrences?

Comment

Originally posted by calicer1996 View Post
        I wonder how that guy got out of it unscathed. This happened pretty close to where I live. These drivers don't know sh*t about the safety rules. They just transport these from one place to another as fast as possible. I wonder who's to blame.
        Thank you for the insight as it is important for us to know if this is just an isolated case or not. So sad to know that drivers of these cylinders in India are not careful in transporting their products. They not only put themselves at risk but also innocent civilians.

I think both the employer and the driver should be held liable for these kinds of accidents. It is the employer's job to brief the driver on how to transport a cylinder LPG properly. If the driver was briefed on it but do not follow the proper guidelines, then he is also liable.

Comment

I am beginning to think that LPG tanker accidents are a regular occurrence in India as there was another accident yesterday on the Jaipur-Ajmer highway near Dudu. According to this Times of India report, the tanker overturned while the driver was attempting to overtake another vehicle. Upon turning over, approximately 20 percent of the near 32 tons of LPG leaked out of the truck. A dozen houses were evacuated due to the smell of gas and nearby hotel and restaurant owners were asked to close down for the day. The highway was also shut down for more than seven hours.

Both the driver and the helper were able to escape with minor injuries and an investigation as to whether there was negligence on the part of the driver is now underway. I wonder how much, if at all, the recent monsoons play a part in the potential damage to the roads/highways and causing potholes. Of course, it is also just as likely that this was sheer driver error.

Comment

That would have been a colossal tragedy had there been casualties involved. If a cylinder explodes, others explode too due to a phenomenon called resonance. Indeed, a major tragedy was averted and the driver was very lucky. It's unfortunate and transporting inflammable cooking gas in questionable conditions is a big lapse on the part of concerned authorities.

Comment

Originally posted by dillinger10 View Post
              Perhaps bala and calicer1996 can give us a better picture as to how often accidents involving LPG tankers take place in India. Were these just isolated incidents or are they common occurrences?
              Not just in India but all across,its all because of carelessness.Once they forget to turn off a knob or wantedly have it done,the gas is sure gonna fill up the room.One spark and kaboom,dead..!!
              In India housewives make a big mistake by forgetting to turn off the gas knob.Should you have a vent like a window it ain't a problem,else if not,you have one..a big one.

Comment

Originally posted by Briannagodess View Post

Thank you for the insight as it is important for us to know if this is just an isolated case or not. So sad to know that drivers of these cylinders in India are not careful in transporting their products. They not only put themselves at risk but also innocent civilians.

I think both the employer and the driver should be held liable for these kinds of accidents. It is the employer's job to brief the driver on how to transport a cylinder LPG properly. If the driver was briefed on it but do not follow the proper guidelines, then he is also liable.
                Yeah, I guess what you said is right.

Comment

Originally posted by bala View Post
                  Not just in India but all across,its all because of carelessness.Once they forget to turn off a knob or wantedly have it done,the gas is sure gonna fill up the room.One spark and kaboom,dead..!!
                  In India housewives make a big mistake by forgetting to turn off the gas knob.Should you have a vent like a window it ain't a problem,else if not,you have one..a big one.
                  Haha! I have been through that experience. It was scary! And to top it all off, it happened on Diwali!

Comment

Haha! I have been through that experience. It was scary! And to top it all off, it happened on Diwali!
                    U ave been in a gas leak../?
                    Dude..Seriously ?/ because the chances of it being fatal rise exponentially.I am sure you were only "lucky" to have survived that scare..
                    Either way,prayers for your safety as well.Its a bad way to leave the world,especially scarred.

Comment

Originally posted by bala View Post
                      U ave been in a gas leak../?
                      Dude..Seriously ?/ because the chances of it being fatal rise exponentially.I am sure you were only "lucky" to have survived that scare..
                      Either way,prayers for your safety as well.Its a bad way to leave the world,especially scarred.
                      Actually, my mom forgot to turn off the gas. We went shopping for diwali. Came back and saw our house was filled with smoke. We were scared to death. Firecrackers everywhere. We were just way too lucky to avert that tragedy. I still shiver when I think about that fateful day.

Comment

A series of explosions took place in a truck carrying 450 Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) cylinders at Udhowal village, This village in Nakodar tehsil in Jalandhar district village, 7 km from Machhiwara. According to the article's preliminary investigations revealed that the incident too place due to the bad condition of the road. The truck received a jerk on a pit triggering explosions just because of that 450 cylinders, 80 exploded one after the other. Although driver and conductor of the truck managed to escape.

Comment

Actually, my mom forgot to turn off the gas. We went shopping for diwali. Came back and saw our house was filled with smoke. We were scared to death. Firecrackers everywhere. We were just way too lucky to avert that tragedy. I still shiver when I think about that fateful day.
                          Did it have vents,i mean your house ??
                          I reckon it would have been because only u had enuf vents in your house.When gases store up it creates an internal expansive pressure.It is far too dangerous and one spark can have a huge impact when there is no escape for those gases.

Comment

bala Is the industry regulated by the government? Accidents still happen regardless, but the hazardous materials segment of business is heavily overseen here, and it involves quite a bit of training, as well as licensing. Because of this, the jobs tend to pay a lot better than others, since there are risks involved, and those handling the materials realize the dangers ahead of time.

Comment

@yeah, most of the windows were open. Luckily. I know about that pressure building due to gases. We were just lucky.

Comment

The driver is very lucky to get out of this alive. It could have ended a lot differently and surprisingly no other people were killed. They are very luck because it could have been so much worse. Looking at the pictures I don't know how it wasn't. This was something that could have been prevented had all the safety checked been carried out before the truck hit the road. This is definitely neglect on the part of the driver. He should have made sure that his load was properly secured before me left with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X