450 LPG cylinders explode inside truck in Punjab, no casualty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 450 LPG cylinders explode inside truck in Punjab, no casualty

A series of explosions occurred today in a truck carrying 450 LPG cylinders near Machiwara, about 40 km from here, police said.
    A series of explosions took place in a truck carrying 450 liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) cylinders at Udhowal village, 7km from Machhiwara, in the wee hours of Tuesday.
    Last edited by calicer1996; 07-15-2015, 12:07 AM.

According to this article in The Tribune, it would appear that these cylinders collided with each other as the driver encountered a bumpy road, which then caused the gas cylinders to catch fire due to the leakage. Surely this must have been some kind of safety violation if they weren't secured well enough to avoid them from colliding and catching fire. The driver of the truck can consider himself very fortunate to have escaped unharmed.

Comment

Quoted from the article:

"If a leak from the cylinder valve is detected, move the cylinder to a safe location at least 20 metres from any sources of ignition until empty."

The driver should have been more vigilant about the products he is transporting. He is very lucky he did not get hurt and he did not hurt anybody. But before he travelled, he should have made sure that the cylinders have no leakage to have prevented this disaster.

Comment

Briannagodess : Preliminary investigations reveal that the accident took place as the road was bumpy due to recent rains and the truck received a big jolt at one of the pits on the road as is always is on Indian roads.
        At least thank god there weren't any causalities lest it would have been a big "tragedy"

Sometimes the driver never really can do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by bala View Post
          Briannagodess : Preliminary investigations reveal that the accident took place as the road was bumpy due to recent rains and the truck received a big jolt at one of the pits on the road as is always is on Indian roads.
          At least thank god there weren't any causalities lest it would have been a big "tragedy"

Isn't it the drivers responsibility to ensure that all of the cylinders are secured safely prior to departure? Either the setup does not meet safety standards (these gas cylinders shouldn't come lose during transportation), the driver failed to ensure they were secured prior to making his journey or the driver is responsible for driving too fast on poor road conditions. I am sure he is not the first driver to have taken this route.

Comment

I could just imagine how strong the explosion was. I remember a neighbor's LPG tank explode before and the impact was strong. One tank of LPG exploding is already very strong, what more with 450 tanks? The driver was indeed lucky to be alive and it's also fortunate that nobody was hurt from the explosion.

Combustible and explosive materials such as LPG tanks should be handled extra cautiously especially when being transported. I agree with Briannagodess & dillinger10 that the driver should have at least made sure that the cylinders were securely in place first before transporting them.

Comment

I'm sure that the incident was the culmination of unsuitable driving conditions, unsecured goods and a vehicle that was likely to be unprepared for such terrain. Whetehr this was a saety violation in India, I have no idea but here in the UK, it is likely that both the driver and his employers would have been prosecuted over this.

Comment

Originally posted by dillinger10 View Post
                According to this article in The Tribune, it would appear that these cylinders collided with each other as the driver encountered a bumpy road, which then caused the gas cylinders to catch fire due to the leakage. Surely this must have been some kind of safety violation if they weren't secured well enough to avoid them from colliding and catching fire. The driver of the truck can consider himself very fortunate to have escaped unharmed.

That's an incredibly unlucky situation for the driver although I do agree that he should have had assured extra safety measures not just for himself but for others as well. In the end, I would consider himself to be very lucky to be alive and quite thankful that there were no casualties. An explosion like this is likely to cause quite a lot of damage. The driver will likely face punishment over this, however.

Comment

Originally posted by bala View Post

The article stated that there was a leakage from the cylinders. That means that the cylinders were not properly secured prior to traveling. The driver or the manufacturer should have made sure that the products were appropriately filled and restrained. Again, in the article I provided, there is no problem in transporting the cylinders provided they are properly restrained and filled to the appropriate level. If there is a leakage, it is the driver's responsibility to move the cylinder away at least 20 metres until it is empty. This is to prevent explosions.

But yes, thank goodness nobody got hurt from the incident. Though, I hope the driver would be properly lectured on how to transport and handle a cylinder.

Comment

Isn't it the drivers responsibility to ensure that all of the cylinders are secured safely prior to departure? Either the setup does not meet safety standards (these gas cylinders shouldn't come lose during transportation), the driver failed to ensure they were secured prior to making his journey or the driver is responsible for driving too fast on poor road conditions. I am sure he is not the first driver to have taken this route.
                    Exactly my point, thank you! The driver is responsible for the cylinders since he is the one transporting them. I do hope that the manufacturer had given him instructions on how to handle the cylinders properly but I am assuming he did not as from the accident that have happened.

Comment

Originally posted by gracer View Post
                      I could just imagine how strong the explosion was. I remember a neighbor's LPG tank explode before and the impact was strong. One tank of LPG exploding is already very strong, what more with 450 tanks? The driver was indeed lucky to be alive and it's also fortunate that nobody was hurt from the explosion.

Combustible and explosive materials such as LPG tanks should be handled extra cautiously especially when being transported. I agree with Briannagodess & dillinger10 that the driver should have at least made sure that the cylinders were securely in place first before transporting them.
                      We handle our LPG tank very carefully at our house. Just one tank is actually very dangerous already so this incident is quite a scary one. Thank goodness, nobody got hurt. But that explosion could have been avoided if the driver was more careful. If not avoided, at least reduced if he was able to see that his cylinders are problematic.

Comment

Originally posted by missbishi View Post
                        I'm sure that the incident was the culmination of unsuitable driving conditions, unsecured goods and a vehicle that was likely to be unprepared for such terrain. Whetehr this was a saety violation in India, I have no idea but here in the UK, it is likely that both the driver and his employers would have been prosecuted over this.
                        The driver and employers in this incident should be held responsible too. This is just a lucky incident. If they continue mishandling their cylinders, there might be a repeat of this incident. And I shudder to think if the next incident will be as lucky as this one.

Comment

Originally posted by rofltank- View Post

That's an incredibly unlucky situation for the driver although I do agree that he should have had assured extra safety measures not just for himself but for others as well. In the end, I would consider himself to be very lucky to be alive and quite thankful that there were no casualties. An explosion like this is likely to cause quite a lot of damage. The driver will likely face punishment over this, however.
                          I do hope that the authorities will not take this case lightly as there are no injuries involved. There should still be an ample punishment for the driver and manufacturer of the cylinder as they still endangered people's lives. If they are not punished, this incident is likely to happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by rofltank- View Post

The photo below of what is left of the truck (very little), really goes to show how fortunate the driver was to escape without harm. That is some serious damage as one would expect from an explosion of such magnitude.

Photo Copyright: The India Tribune

This Punjab Tribune article mentions that it took firefighters four hours to finally put out the flames

Comment

The photo below of what is left of the truck (very little), really goes to show how fortunate the driver was to escape without harm. That is some serious damage as one would expect from an explosion of such magnitude.

Photo Copyright: The India Tribune

This Punjab Tribune article mentions that it took firefighters four hours to finally put out the flames

Viewing that photo he probably had an extremely small chance of getting out of that situation alive.. even being injured. I stand by my statement as well after viewing this picture.. I'm extremely surprised that there were no other casualties with this type of explosion.

Comment

Working...
                              X