Four People Die of Explosion in South Korea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four People Die of Explosion in South Korea

4 factory workers were reported dead after an explosion in a South Korean chemical factory. Two people are still missing after the explosion. The explosions have been said to have occurred while workers were welding the interior parts of a waste water storage facility.

The upper structure of the storage facility collapsed after the blast. Investigation on the real cause of the accident is still ongoing.

Here’s a link to the site:

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/07/03/as...ory-explosion/
    dillinger10 likes this.

Looks like it might have been negligence as well,because i too worked on the fabrication of a DM Plant and yes an accident happened,thank goodness no loss of life or injuries,but it was all ignorance because when fabricating the base plates on a second or third column lift,we need to ensure the base support is just not a hinge,we never know the chemical reactions that can happen,a small precautionary measure could have averted this.
    I might be wrong,but i tried co relating with what happened when we were erecting a DM Storage Tank.

Comment

bala It may be a case of an error somewhere on the process. It's still a mystery as to what could have caused the blast. Your explanation about the kind of work and the dangers that chemical factory workers have to face on their daily job gave me an idea about the real situation inside these kinds of factories.

Comment

This is obviously the case of human error. Either there was something combustible in the storage facility (perhaps the chemicals themselves reacted with the heat emitted by the welding machine) or something went wrong with the way the interior was welded.

Comment

This incident somehow reminds me of the tragedy that happened here in the Philippines one or two months ago. It has the same scenario. Factory workers were inside the factory working while there was welding going on at the gates of the factory. Then a fire broke out which killed around more than 70 people. More and more factory related incidents are now happening around the globe. I wonder if some laws or rules need to be revised regarding the managng and handling of factories to avoid more deaths in these areas.

Comment

Originally posted by gracer View Post
            bala It may be a case of an error somewhere on the process. It's still a mystery as to what could have caused the blast. Your explanation about the kind of work and the dangers that chemical factory workers have to face on their daily job gave me an idea about the real situation inside these kinds of factories.
            Thanks.
            Moreover i read it all over again and could atleast arrive at a sequence,but i am not sure this might have been the exact cause.
            It was stated that workers were welding the interior of a waste water storage facility and it couldn't have been possible without gas or any chemical waste being trapped inside the storage so that might have triggered the blast.
            Whatever may it be,prayers for those people who lost their lives.
            gracer likes this.

Comment

I know many of us were complaining about our office jobs but if you think about it, we are still lucky compared to people who works in more dangerous environments. Many people had been injured and lost their lives in the factories they worked for. There is so many possible hazards on industrial environments. The jobs of these people were really risky. I don't know who is too blame with this accident but I hope the families of the victims will get financial .

Comment

It was reported yesterday that a fifth person has died from their injuries and a sixth person still remains missing. The article also suggests that although the exact cause of the explosion is still unknown, firefighters believe that remaining gas at the waste water storage may have triggered the fire.

Something very similar happened in the Philippines earlier this year when a welder repairing a gate set fire to the factory due to the close proximity of highly combustible chemicals.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy View Post
                  I know many of us were complaining about our office jobs but if you think about it, we are still lucky compared to people who works in more dangerous environments. Many people had been injured and lost their lives in the factories they worked for. There is so many possible hazards on industrial environments. The jobs of these people were really risky. I don't know who is too blame with this accident but I hope the families of the victims will get financial .
                  I really admire people who work in uncomfortable situations or places just to provide for the family. Factory workers are one of those. They are in danger everytime they work and they get little money in return but they still risk their lives just to provide for the family.

Crewmen in ships also face a lot of danger. Not only from pirates but also from accidents that can happen at sea. But they risk it just to provide their family with good lives. Not to mention the fact that they are miles away from their loved ones with no communication.

Comment

You're right Billy Briannagodess Briannagodess You guys are right. The people who work in dangerous conditions just to bring in money for their families should be admired and commended for their courage and sacrifice. For those of us who work in more comfortable conditions, it's really a wake up call for us to be thankful of what we have and of the lives we're living.

dillinger10 Yes, the fire that killed at least 74 factory workers who were all inside the factory during the time the fire out. It was one of the most tragic factory related incident that I have seen in my lifetime here in the Philippines. This incident prompted thorough investigation of other neighboring factories and hopefully would result to a firmer implementation of rules and regulations related to factories.

Comment

Far too many people work in less then ideal situations to feed their families. We tend to take our jobs for granted until we hear something like this and then we realize how lucky we are. You have to commend people who get up and go to work every day not knowing if they are going to be coming back home or not. It is a very sad story. I feel for all those involved.

Comment

Working...
                      X