Chlorine Leak Makes 40 People Sick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chlorine Leak Makes 40 People Sick

At a water park in California, 40 people... mostly children... began complaining of burning throats and were vomiting. They were taken to the hospital and investigation showed they were exposed to high levels. of sodium hypochlorite, a form of Chlorine which is used to keep the pools clean. A spokes person said that this kind of thing happens every few years. If they knew this then they should have been monitoring the chlorine levels much more closely they they apparently were.
    A water park in northern California remains closed after dozens of people there became sick yesterday afternoon.
    Where there is an beginning, there is an end.
    Where there is an end, there is a new beginning.

I've heard of this happening many times on a smaller and less dangerous level. That's why it's so important to keep a close eye on the chemical levels and pH balance in the pool waters. Even in your small home pools!

Comment

Even the mild levels of chlorine swimming pools uses hurts my skin. I feel a burning sensation in my eyes and skin when I am in public pools. This is why I prefer swimming in oceans, brooks and waterfalls. I really don't like the chemicals used to keep water clean on pools. If you can afford it' it is better to have your own pool. You are guaranteed to be safe from chemical accidents and those people who pees underwater because they were too lazy to go to the bathroom.

Comment

One time we were in a beach resort with a swimming pool. After wallowing in the sandy beach, we decided to try the pool. I had noticed that dark green color of the pool so I asked the lifeguard if the water is dirty. He said it was new water the night before so it's clean. When I dipped in the pool, I noticed the odor of the water. If it's not too much chlorine then what is it? I called my family and told them to stay away from that pool for it might cause something bad to us.

Comment

It seems as though a check was long overdue and these should be scheduled far more frequently if these type of incidents are known to occur regularly.

I cannot abide public pools myself, especially those in holiday resorts. It's the thought of all the pee. Yuk!

Comment

I find swimming pools to be very unsanitary and the chemicals they load into them very dangerous. I try to avoid swimming pools unless it is my own, when I get one. Then again, I really don't have time to go swimming anyway. But when I do find the time, there is a nice lake nearby.

Comment

I share most of your thoughts guys. My family loves to swim so sometimes we would go out on beach holidays, if we don't have the time to go to the beach, we usually go to resorts with swimming pools. It's refreshing to be soaked in water especially during very hot weather but sometimes swimming pools could be so unsanitary especially if there are many people in it. You don't know how many people have already peed on it plus the Chlorine sometimes irritates the skin.

This latest case of Chlorine leak is one good reason why it's better to stay out of swimming pools as much as possible. Chlorine is known to be very dangerous especially in large amounts.

In relation to Chlorine, I could just imagine what the people, especially the children in Syria are going through every time they are exposed to the Chlorine gas being dispersed by the military in fighting ISIS. The people of Syria are exposed to it almost every day. That's how pitiful their situation is and it's heartbreaking.

Comment

I thought there was a device that is attached to the pools that measures the chlorine levels in the pools at all times? I know that in the past, there was a rest period where everyone was required to leave the pool for about 30 minutes. During that time the lifeguards would take a sample of the water and they would test it. Once everything was done, everyone was allowed back in the pool. Don't they still do that?

Comment

Chlorine is highly effective at cleansing but highly toxic to the human body. They should be monitoring the situations. People tend think that nothing will ever happen to them and their ignorance gets them into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by KimberlyD View Post
                    I thought there was a device that is attached to the pools that measures the chlorine levels in the pools at all times? I know that in the past, there was a rest period where everyone was required to leave the pool for about 30 minutes. During that time the lifeguards would take a sample of the water and they would test it. Once everything was done, everyone was allowed back in the pool. Don't they still do that?

Some public pools I've been to do that and most of my friends with private pools do that. However when it's a matter of a large place making money it's an inconvenience to them I think.

Comment

I always thought it was mandatory because every public pool I ever went to as a kid did that. I always thought that if they did not do that regularly and were caught they would get shut down.... now that I know that they don't, I don't think I will visit any public pools without finding out if they do do that or not first.

Comment

How shocking that it had to go so far that the kids were getting ill before anyone noticed. One would think that the smell alone would have alerted the adults in the vicinity. Are we so used to chlorine pools that we can't smell this poison anymore?
                        I remember one time when I visited a public indoor pool in a different town, wearing my brand new swim suit. The stench of chlorine almost made me throw up. But I went into the water nonetheless, as I really felt like going for a swim. Within ten minutes I had to get out of the pool again, as I was assailed by an attack of dizziness. But the most disturbing thing was that the dye in my new swimsuit had faded from a deep blue to grey. I alerted the staff at the pool, but they thought that I was over-reacting.

Comment

Wow that's so sad. That must be such an awful experience because I've always hated Chlorine and I find it disgusting and unnecessary.

Comment

Isn't there a natural non toxic alternative to Chlorine for pools. I could swear I read somewhere about there being one available, but cost a lot more then Chlorine. I would rather pay the higher price and be safe then to risk my safety or the safety of my family. Not to mention, I have dogs and if I have a private pool, I would not want them drinking chlorine water.

Comment

Maybe KimberlyD, but I wouldn't count on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X