Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another ice cream company is found to have listeria, and closing its doors.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The latest is Blue Bell had evidence of listeria bacteria in their facility as far back as March 2013. The company continued to ship ice cream products even after the FDA said it was inadequately cleaned. As of of now, there are three deaths linked to the tainted ice cream. Details can be read here.
    Zyni and dillinger10 like this.
    "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

Comment

Shocking, yet not surprising. That is about as bad as it gets and willful ignorance at its worst. How in the world was the plant in Oklahoma not closed down after investigators found water condensation dripping into frozen sherbert containers during production and possibly into the ice cream as well? I've never purchased Blue Bell ice cream before but if I did, I would certainly be boycotting them after reading that report.

I like how they have pledged to implement major plant upgrades despite having been aware of inadequacies since 2013. If they really cared, those upgrades would have taken place already.
      Last edited by dillinger10; 05-08-2015, 12:54 AM.
      Zyni, ASurvivor and fcphdJim like this.

Comment

This is awful. I was pretty outraged by the horsemeat scandal in the UK a few years back but at least horsemeat won't kill you! To think that these company involved had received prior warnings about this bacteria yet did nothing to remedy the situation. I suspect that the public will indeed boycott the company now - I certainly wouldn't place any trust in them after this incident.

Comment

Well said, Dillinger. A mishap is one thing; a lengthy, unfixed, and deadly (3 deaths, 7 sick) screw-up is quite another thing. Having done quite a bit of business in the Midwest, I'm vaguely familiar with the brand, but I'm fully sure I wouldn't buy one of their dairy products any time soon.

Comment

Blue Bell isn't one of the cheapo brands either. People expect decent quality of that brand.

Too many companies seem to have bought into the so-called "acceptable loss" mentality. I guess as long as it's cheaper to pay off a few lawsuits than it is to pull their tainted products, we should (sadly) expect more of this. It's just sickening.

Why aren't they facing criminal charges?

Comment

Originally posted by Zyni View Post
              B

Why aren't they facing criminal charges?
              Good point, surely they are culpable of causing death by negligence or some similar charge.

Comment

Another company was forced to recall their products from the shelves due to possible contamination with Listera today. Packages of bean sprouts and mung bean sprouts were recalled by Good Seed Inc. of Springfield, Va.

While looking for more information, I came across this study which reveals that in 2010, it was estimated that 23,150 people worldwide were infected with listeria. Of those infected, 5,463 people died - 23.6 percent.

Meanwhile, The CDC estimates that 1600 illnesses and 260 deaths due to listeriosis occur annually in the United States. Despite the recent outbreaks, compared to 1996-1998, the incidence of listeriosis had declined by approximately 42% in 2012.

Comment

I hope they can find the source of contamination and correct the issue. Simone should look at every ingredient used by these different facilities and see if there are any in common. It sounds like the bacteria is coming in from an outside source and thus getting into the product.

Comment

Jeniís Splendid Ice Creams announced today that they plan to re-open buy the end of the week after overhauling their production plant which involved removing walls, establishing foot foaming stations and adding a conveyor belt at a cost of approximately $200,000. This article in The Columbus Dispatch confirms that the recall will cost the company at least $2.5 million after 535,000 pounds of product was removed from all locations.

Comment

Originally posted by DancingLady View Post
                      I hope they can find the source of contamination and correct the issue. Simone should look at every ingredient used by these different facilities and see if there are any in common. It sounds like the bacteria is coming in from an outside source and thus getting into the product.
                      Finding the contamination source is not as important as shutting down these companies who don't care about others and only want to fill their pockets, by hook or by crook.

Comment

Unfortunately as a result of the listeria outbreak, it was reported today that Blue Bell will lay off approximately 37 percent of its workforce - 750 full-time employees and 700 part-time workers. An additional 1,400 workers will also be given a leave of absence though they will still receive a substantial portion of their wages.

More on this news can be read here and here.

Comment

Results from the FDA's official investigation of Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams found inadequate testing and cleaning in its Columbus plant that had become contaminated with listeria. The report revealed that managers failed to implement an adequate sampling and testing program and surfaces - including floors - were insufficiently sanitized. It was also reported that listeria residue was found on some equipment.

It was also reported today that an FDA investigation of Jeni's back in 2008 showed evidence of rodents and insects in their manufacturing plants and inadequate personal cleanliness of employees. These types of repeated offenses should surely be enough to make any question buying their products again.

More on the FDA findings can be read here.

Comment

I think that ice cream company has faulty sanitation and lack of hygiene of their employees. I guess this involves the regulating agency. How in the world was that ice cream factory given a permit? Here, the local government have the so called sanidad - sanitary inspectors who visit the factories. It is a must that they do every 6 months at least.

Comment

The latest is Blue Bell is back in production. Their products apparently passed inspection. There is details on the reopening here.

Comment

Working...
                              X