Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another ice cream company is found to have listeria, and closing its doors.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another ice cream company is found to have listeria, and closing its doors.

Even though there seems to be no connection between the two companies; listeria traces have now been found in the ice cream from a second company, forcing that company to close down it ice cream production, as authorities are trying to find out what could be causing the listeria.
    Ice cream is not normally a place where bacteria can grow, although listeria can grow when refrigerated.
    It may be possible that some ingredient that is used in the production of ice cream has contaminated both factories, and if that is the case, then it seems to me that other companies might also be using that very same ingredient.
    Eating any kind of ice cream right now just might not be a good idea until they are able to find out what i causing the spread of the listeria.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/0...cmp=latestnews

This is getting out of hand! Now there are two of them.

Comment

Let them not reopen their kitchens till they have ensured the safety of customers.Thanks to Nebraska Dept of Agriculture for their testing,let this might have gone unnoticed.

p.S :Since the bacteria can't grow on freezign temps how can it on an ice cream that really makes me go nuts and baffled at the same time.

Comment

I have been following this ongoing situation on the news, first starting with the recall by Sabra for their hummus and then with the recall by Blue Bell. I must admit, I have never heard of Jeni's prior to today. It seems as though they are a small company that conducts a large amount of their business online with two retail stores in Ohio and one store each in Tennessee, Illinois, Georgia, South Carolina and California.

The statement CEO announced today that they are closing all of their scoop shops until they are 100% confident that every item they sell is safe.

Inventure Foods has also issued a voluntary recall of its Fresh Frozen line of vegetables and some varieties of its Jamba "At Home" line of smoothie kits after listeria was discovered at its facility in Jefferson, Georgia.

More on this recall can be read here

Comment

Although the business has temporarily shut down in an attempt to rectify the problem, I predict that they will face real dufficulties when they re-open. The brand name will be associated with listeria for years to come and even though the factory might be declared safe, public trust has been lost. It will be very difficult to claw back.

Comment

Originally posted by missbishi View Post
            Although the business has temporarily shut down in an attempt to rectify the problem, I predict that they will face real dufficulties when they re-open. The brand name will be associated with listeria for years to come and even though the factory might be declared safe, public trust has been lost. It will be very difficult to claw back.
            Yes, that is going to be really hard to overcome, especially for such a small business. This type of negative press can really destroy a business. To compound matters further, The Columbus Dispatch reports that Jeni's has found listeria at the company's Columbus production facility as well as in Nebraska.

Comment

A disaster that will impact the ice cream supply!? Uh-oh, if my little girl sees this, there may be mass hysteria.

In all seriousness, though, listeria is bad news. There are details on what it is and what it does here. I've never experienced it, but I have had the "delight" of salmonella poisoning. I didn't die, of course, but I sure felt like it.
              Last edited by ASurvivor; 10-22-2016, 02:53 AM.
              fcphdJim likes this.
              "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

Comment

While conducting more research on listeria, I came across this CNN article which claims that approximately 1,600 people are affected each year with the disease and approximately 16% of those infected die. Further research seems to indicate there are on average 300 listeria deaths each year. The 16% of people dying is high, especially when compared to other more common food-born diseases like salmonella, which kills less than 1% of infected patients.

Comment

I think we may be just be seeing the tip of the iceberg on these recalls. As Dillinger mentioned, first it was the hummus, then the ice cream, and who knows what will be next.
                  I received an automated phone call from Kroger yesterday telling me that I had purchased frozen vegetables (which I had) , and saying that they were being pulled off of the shelves for suspected listeria, and to bring the package in for a refund.
                  Like the ice cream theat Sam's Club called about, we had already used up the frozen vegetables; but it seems likely that frozen veggies might become the next recall.

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed View Post
                    I think we may be just be seeing the tip of the iceberg on these recalls. As Dillinger mentioned, first it was the hummus, then the ice cream, and who knows what will be next.
                    I received an automated phone call from Kroger yesterday telling me that I had purchased frozen vegetables (which I had) , and saying that they were being pulled off of the shelves for suspected listeria, and to bring the package in for a refund.
                    Like the ice cream theat Sam's Club called about, we had already used up the frozen vegetables; but it seems likely that frozen veggies might become the next recall.
                    That is a concerning trend Tumbleweed Which brand of frozen vegetables were recalled?

This Forbes article suggest that foods that are refrigerated for long periods of time, preseved meats, root vegetables, canned and raw seafood and fruits are all very susceptible to listeria.

Comment

After reading that, am never going to eat any ice cream until the situation is rectified. I really hope that no one has gotten infected. Actually all the ice cream factories should be closed temporarily and so that they can be investigated to know if the ice cream is safe or not.

Comment

Originally posted by dannixx55 View Post
                        After reading that, am never going to eat any ice cream until the situation is rectified. I really hope that no one has gotten infected. Actually all the ice cream factories should be closed temporarily and so that they can be investigated to know if the ice cream is safe or not.
                        Just so I understand, are you suggesting that every ice cream factory in the United States should be closed down or just the factories owned by Jeni's? If you are suggesting the latter, then they have already closed down all of their factories and their storefronts also.

Comment

dillinger10, I don't remember what brand of frozen veggies it was that I bought, and I hung up (it was an automated call) after they had said it was about the frozen vegetables possibly having listeria, and to bring them in for a refund. I have not heard about this recall anywhere else; so maybe it was just a temporary one.

What has always seemed really strange to me is that with all of the sanitary precautions and safety regulations that they have for manufacturing plants; there are a lot more reports of people getting sick now than ever before.
                          I remember when you could go into any restaurant, and order your meat as rare as you wanted it, and no one ever got sick or died from eating it.
                          Fruits and veggies were sold at roadside stands, and farmers markets, and we didn't get sick. It seems like there are less safe foods to eat now than ever before, and still more safety restrictions. Part of it might be that we have so many products that are imported from China, and other countries with less safety restrictions.

Comment

Well, I have a solution for that. Make your own ice cream at home and don't take any risks eating products that may or may not be contaminated.
                            I wonder what went wrong during the production and how the bacteria managed to get into the ice cream. It would have to be something unsavory that is causing such a drama. In all my time I have never come across contaminated ice cream, apart from when I was a kid and one of my neighbors thought it was a good idea to use some antiquated ice cream making equipment to make the kids in our village happy. Everyone who tried the ice cream got diarrhea.
                            fcphdJim likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                              Well, I have a solution for that. Make your own ice cream at home and don't take any risks eating products that may or may not be contaminated.
                              I wonder what went wrong during the production and how the bacteria managed to get into the ice cream. It would have to be something unsavory that is causing such a drama. In all my time I have never come across contaminated ice cream, apart from when I was a kid and one of my neighbors thought it was a good idea to use some antiquated ice cream making equipment to make the kids in our village happy. Everyone who tried the ice cream got diarrhea.
                              From what I have read, listeria is rarely found in ice cream because it can't grow at freezing temperatures. I read this article in the New York Daily News which suggests that perhaps the bacteria - which is found in water and soil - may have been tracked into the manufacturing facility due to improper sanitation practices.

Comment

Working...
                              X