No announcement yet.

On a more positive note... ( sort of )

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On a more positive note... ( sort of )

I've been reading a lot of negative things lately and I figured it would be nice to share something positive that not many people seem to know.
    Norman Borlaug was an agricultural scientist who developed different varieties of high-yielding wheat. He was responsible for upping food production 300% and is said to have saved the lives of over a billion people worldwide from starvation, making him one of the most influential men in history.

So while people do things like this without really getting any recognition, we are too busy idolizing the Kardashians and complaining about iPhones taking too long to charge.
    Damn I hate people.
    xTinx and Briannagodess like this.

I found this article about Norman Borlaug. He definitely deserves the Nobel Prize Award, although he is not much renowned in the world. Aside from cross-breeding high yielding wheat or the dwarf wheat, he also:

1. Cross-bred different wheats to come up with some new breeds that are resistant to rust, a plant pest. This has raised yields from 20 to 40 percent.

2. Created "Shuttle Breeding" in Mexico which again, raised plant yields.

From 1950 to 1992, there was an increase in yield of 150 percent just because of the achievements of Norman Borlaug. But despite his efforts, there were critics that doubted his achievements. Aside from that, not a lot of benefactors have helped his cause.:/
    Forbes Welcome page -- Forbes is a global media company, focusing on business, investing, technology, entrepreneurship, leadership, and lifestyle.
    SashaS likes this.

Comment

This is the first time I've heard about him but reading about him here makes me believe that Norman Borlaug is indeed a man worthy of honor. He exemplifies the real meaning of being of service to others because he does what he has to do without even aiming for recognition at all. Most people nowadays usually have their own personal agendas when they do something positive for humankind or our planet earth. This is most especially true of politicians who only help for media exposure and gaining people's trusts.
      SashaS likes this.

Comment

Interesting. I'm constantly amazed at the ingenuity in the scientific community. Crop science, in particular, has a (quite literally) down to earth application. We have a hungry world; it is our collective job to see those mouths are fed.
        SashaS likes this.
        "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

Comment

Originally posted by SashaS View Post
          I've been reading a lot of negative things lately and I figured it would be nice to share something positive that not many people seem to know.
          Norman Borlaug was an agricultural scientist who developed different varieties of high-yielding wheat. He was responsible for upping food production 300% and is said to have saved the lives of over a billion people worldwide from starvation, making him one of the most influential men in history.

So while people do things like this without really getting any recognition, we are too busy idolizing the Kardashians and complaining about iPhones taking too long to charge.
          Damn I hate people.
          I had a laugh out of the last paragraph. You voiced the very sentiments I've had for a long time now. I do not understand why women glorify the likes of Kim Kardashian whose morals had long since been buried 12 feet under the ground. Everyday I think about those old folks peddling their wares on the street while looking after their grandchildren and the rest of their family. I think about NGO workers and volunteers who risk their lives for the sake of others.

And when you open your social media account, everyone's just bragging about their vacations, the food they ate and the luxury items they bought from high-end stores. I wonder if people ever stop to think about what they can do to ease the suffering of the voiceless, the weak and those living below the poverty line. Thankfully there are still people like Mr. Borlaug who use their skills to make a difference. I can only hope and pray there would be more people like him.
          SashaS likes this.

Comment

Working...
          X