The fish are on drugs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The fish are on drugs

I live in the Pacific Northwest and was listening to the radio the other day, when a report came out that some of the fish in the Puget Sound were testing positive for cocaine, prescription medications, and a slew of other chemicals because of these things being dumped in the water and sewers around the region. I was startled by this because we eat a lot of salmon and other local fish. It is the kind of story that really makes you think twice before flushing your old prescriptions down the toilet. The moral of the story is to be smart about what kind of impact your actions may have on the environment. Are there issues like this where you live?

Where I live, all the waste is dumped right into the river, less than a mile from the area where the river meets the ocean. At the beach, people have built a bridge so that we can walk over the river because it's so dirty and it smells rancid. It's a result of our inconsiderate and foolish government, who fails to address the most simple issues, yet easily forks out hundreds of millions of tax payers money for private vehicles and services. It's interesting to see what effects these drugs have on fish as they are rather emotionless creatures and it's hard to tell when something is abnormal with their minds, if anything happens at all.

We do however, have a few recycling bins around, but it's not the norm for anyone to have them at home, everything goes into the trash or down the drain. Eventually the world will wake up, the situation has not become bad enough for most people to realize what they have done, yet.

Comment

This is indeed a wake up call for us to be very careful in getting rid of our old prescription drugs or in putting anything down the drain. Everything we do to our environment will always come back at us. Just like what happened during a massive flooding in a city down south here in my country. The flood which was the biggest so far was caused by the irresponsible throwing of garbage in the drains and in the ocean surrounding the city. After the flood, piles and piles of garbage were seen on the seashore and on the drainage systems of the said city.

Comment

Our local fishermen often catch fish that contain gun powder (because of dynamite fishing) and dinoflagellates (because of red tide) so it's not a surprise if your fisherfolks out there catch fish that have eaten cocaine and other illegal substances.

Comment

Fish!
          Wow that's interesting.
          I have heard that trace amounts of hormones from birth control products have been found in the water supply, but now it's starting to show up in fish.
          Drugs too?
          Just goes to show you that what we toss out ends up back in our ecosystem...
          We need to be very mindful how we deal with our waste.

Comment

It really hits home when our own waste ends up in the food we are consuming. People need to be more careful and really think about the environmental impacts of our descisions. Our own laziness as consumers could wind up killing us someday. I think about things like this when I am out shopping and going about my business. If a prescription is expired, take the time to go to the pharmacy and have it disposed of properly. If an item can be recycled, take the time to put it in the right bin. Our lives are not so busy that we can't take 10 minutes out of our day to do the right thing.

Comment

I found this one article, although this one pertains just to anti-anxiety drugs and the effects on fishes are not that negative. But it still stands that their behaviours changed just because we were careless about where we flush our drugs. The effects of the drugs on fishes were that they were more risk-taking, fearless and active. Although this isn't so bad, it still jeopardises the natural behaviours of these fishes. Whereas they would naturally cower in the dark, they might go exploring unknown places and even eat at a faster speed. And who knows if they have been exposed to more drugs what will happen?
              Levels of human drugs commonly found in the world's waterways may be altering the way fishes behave

Comment

Working...
              X