Public Gardens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Gardens

One way to keep people from starving, even in our own country is through the use of public gardens. There is so much public land that is just wasted as owners of the property just sit on it until deciding what to do with it or how to develop it. I think that some land owners should allow people to use the space as a public garden area until such time as the market booms and they build on it or otherwise decide what to do with it. I have a friend who moved to a different state and almost starved as she tried to get on her feet with employment and housing. There was a public garden near her house where people could go to plant food and where others could go to harvest it. She had to visit the garden on a few occassions and that was her source of food because she could not afford to buy groceries. In America, land and resources are plentiful and working on a public garden is something that everyone can do to help their fellow community members if they do not have enough financial resources to donate money. I think we could all do a lot of good if we all went back to what the basics of helping people is really all about.

Have you heard of guerrilla gardening? There are a few places in England who have embraced the concept with great success. It involves turning neglected patches of land into flourishing gardens that people can enjoy as a community. Any patch of land will do, from the central reservation of a roundabout to a grass verge! It's a fantastic thing (albeit it technically illegal in the UK) and it's really taking off. The notion that I could wander around my locale and gather enough fruit and veg for a week is extremely exciting to me, and could provide people who would otherwise have to do without, with the opportunity to benefit from a nutritious and healthy diet
    Rosyrain likes this.

Comment

I would love for something like that to start happening here where I live. I am not sure if other places in the US have adopted this concept, but it seems like it would be a great idea and something that could benefit so many people. The one complaint I hear from people who are low income around where I live is that they can buy only limited amounts of produce because it is so expensive. If we could develop more gardens then people would be able to spread their food budgets so much more.

Comment

I have a public garden near me, and a not-so-near public farm as well where you can pick your own fresh fruits and vegetables. The public garden's really huge and has impeccable maintainence crews, and there's a lot of goodies around. It's a really big location for weddings, field trips, stuff of the like. Not only does it have an advantage for preserval of food, it also has a public societal aspect as well.

Comment

This is a very good idea! Have the community contribute to the well being of the garden and in turn, reward them with the food they grow!
          I live in South Africa, where no such thing exists, so this concept is very new to me. It can create a social community and help out with people who are seeking friends and other individuals to talk to. I think it's a great concept, especially for areas that have people who are in need of food. Community based projects such as this are what we need more of in the world, instead of commercial businesses selling basic food at high markups.

Comment

Around here we don't have any of these types of projects either but I'm general I do think they are a good idea. What annoys me most though that in the year 2016, some people are having to rely on schemes like these in the first place.

Surely more needs to be done?

Comment

Working...
            X