What Foods Do You Stockpile?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Foods Do You Stockpile?

The last thing that I want is to starve to death. I stockpile food for a few reasons; I can purchase foods with coupons or on sale for much lower prices, I can ensure that I don't have to worry about grocery shopping on tight weeks, and most importantly, I know we have food in the event of an emergency.

I stockpile the following:

-Flour
    -Rice
    -Canned Vegetables
    -Canned Chicken
    -Canned Tuna (gross to me, but hubby loves it)
    -Chef Boyardee
    -Hormel Compleats
    -Powdered Milk
    -Canned evaporated milk

Among other things, but with our stockpile of those foods, I feel that we could survive for a while. Sure, it wouldn't be our favorite foods, but it's still food!

What do you stockpile, food-wise?
    Sunflogun and Billy like this.

Ramen noodles, they were really good for emergencies and they were very cheap. Just like you I stockpile beans and grains because we need carbs to survive. I also have Sunflower seeds because I love eating sunflower sprouts and its the easiest vegetable to grow indoors that can be harvested in few days, no matter what is the season. I also stockphiled some herbs and spices because I can't survive without favors.

I can relate with your husband because I also love canned tuna. I also stockpile eggs, I preserve half of them because I love salted eggs. Its eggs fermented in brine for months. They tasted like cheese.

Comment

I always have an abundance of canned foods on hand: beans, milk, vegetables, pastas and meats. There doesn't seem to be much that you can't buy in a can.

Comment

Pretty much in the same line of what you mention here. Basically I go for water, canned food and rice, I think that with these three categories we can have enough provisions to face a disaster. Here's an interesting link I came across recently: How to Stock Your Disaster Pantry

Originally posted by lin-duh View Post
        The last thing that I want is to starve to death. I stockpile food for a few reasons; I can purchase foods with coupons or on sale for much lower prices, I can ensure that I don't have to worry about grocery shopping on tight weeks, and most importantly, I know we have food in the event of an emergency.

I stockpile the following:

-Flour
        -Rice
        -Canned Vegetables
        -Canned Chicken
        -Canned Tuna (gross to me, but hubby loves it)
        -Chef Boyardee
        -Hormel Compleats
        -Powdered Milk
        -Canned evaporated milk

Among other things, but with our stockpile of those foods, I feel that we could survive for a while. Sure, it wouldn't be our favorite foods, but it's still food!

What do you stockpile, food-wise?
        As part of our April cover story on surviving anything, PopMech set up our own disaster pantry. Here's our guide to a sensible backup food supply that will sustain a family for a month.

Comment

I am allergic to a lot of things. So you won't find any flour, milk or meat in my pantry. Instead I tend to stock up on dried beans and legumes, such as lentils, chickpeas, white beans, aduki beans, etc. I have glass jars containing various nut meals, such as almond meal, hazelnut meal and walnut meal. Then there are my containers with quinoa, amaranth and buckwheat. I also have dried seaweed, chocolate, pickles, spirulina, vegetable chips, dried fruit and vegetables, and so much more. My main worry is not to starve to death but to suffer some severe allergic reaction to a certain type of food.

Comment

Before I buy things, I always make sure to check the expiration date. I don't want but something that will expire in few days. We buy canned foods because they can last a long time. Too much hoarding of food sometimes leads to more wasted food because of too much food ends u reaching their expiration date. I hate wasting food so In don't buy something I won't end up eating because of that. Usually buy canned foods that will take years before expiring.
            Last edited by Billy; 07-25-2015, 03:48 AM.

Comment

You guys should really look into getting MRE's, or affectionately known as meals ready to eat. Their shelf life is significantly longer then canned goods and can be eaten right out of packaging. In a disaster situation, that is the go to meal, when you don't have fire and water to prepare meals. [ATTACH=CONFIG]n42609[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Billy View Post
                Ramen noodles, they were really good for emergencies and they were very cheap. Just like you I stockpile beans and grains because we need carbs to survive. I also have Sunflower seeds because I love eating sunflower sprouts and its the easiest vegetable to grow indoors that can be harvested in few days, no matter what is the season. I also stockphiled some herbs and spices because I can't survive without favors.

I can relate with your husband because I also love canned tuna. I also stockpile eggs, I preserve half of them because I love salted eggs. Its eggs fermented in brine for months. They tasted like cheese.

Oh yes! I forgot to mention....I stockpile lots of ramen noodles and lots of beans!

I rotate my stock of beans especially. That's because I use a lot in the fall to make chili.

I also stock tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce

I'm glad you like tuna but....gross.

How do you preserve your eggs?

Comment

• Billy
                  Billy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Do you hate fish in general or you just don't like them canned?

Before you attempt to preserve eggs, try to go to a Chinese restaurant and try salted eggs and see if its something you will like. The yolk tasted like cheese. I decided to share to you this video that shows how to make salted eggs:
                  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I_0li-vB6Kw

Duck eggs and quail eggs are more ideal for salted eggs because the brine make the whites creamy. If you use chicken eggs, only the yolk is delicious. The whites can still be eaten but It doesn't have the texture people enjoy with salted eggs.

Originally posted by JoshPosh View Post
                You guys should really look into getting MRE's, or affectionately known as meals ready to eat. Their shelf life is significantly longer then canned goods and can be eaten right out of packaging. In a disaster situation, that is the go to meal, when you don't have fire and water to prepare meals. [ATTACH=CONFIG]n42609[/ATTACH]

I have thought about it, but the cost is very high! From what I have seen, it's wayyy cheaper to stock up on canned stuff. Plus, I try to have things that we can eat with no heat or water. Cold Chef Boyardee out of the can isn't necessarily delicious, but it is certainly edible.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshPosh View Post
                  I heard MRE's can last a decade and they were usually eaten by soldiers who are in war. I have seen someone making a taste test of them and they said it is palatable enough but not delicious. I think someone told me before that they tasted better than astronaut food but it will never be able a good everyday food. Its only good for emergencies. I have a feeling they were of really good for the body because they can last for a very long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy View Post
                    I heard MRE's can last a decade and they were usually eaten by soldiers who are in war.
                    For whatever it is worth, there is a guide to MRE shelf life here. If they are part of one's preps, it doesn't hurt to look it over. Bon appétit.
                    "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

Comment

I don't like seafood at all, except for shrimp.

Thanks so much for sharing the video. I will have to have some at a Chinese restaurant. I had honestly never heard of them. Again, thanks for sharing!

Comment

lin-duh Other are two types of preserved eggs sold at Chinese restaurants, salted egg and century eggs. I think the century eggs will be too nightmarish for westerners so I don't recognize it. Salted eggs looks like regular hard boiled eggs but they tasted like cheese. They were usually added in salads. They worked really well with mangoes and tomatoes.

Another process of preserving eggs is pickling them. There are YouTube videos on how to do them too. Its a more popular process in the US but I don't know what pickled eggs tasted like. I am already happy with salted eggs because they were easy to do can being able preserve eggs for a long time is great if you have an abundance of them.

Comment

I like to stockpile freeze dried foods. I have been looking into getting my own freeze dryer to make my own freeze dried meals instead of buying them. Otherwise I usually just stock pile on as much dry goods as I can such as beans, rice, flour, noodles.... etc. Ramen is a good thing to stock pile also.
                          Where there is an beginning, there is an end.
                          Where there is an end, there is a new beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by lin-duh View Post

I have thought about it, but the cost is very high! From what I have seen, it's wayyy cheaper to stock up on canned stuff. Plus, I try to have things that we can eat with no heat or water. Cold Chef Boyardee out of the can isn't necessarily delicious, but it is certainly edible.

In the right conditions the MRE's should last you about 5 years. Can goods from what I recall is what 2 years at best?

Comment

Working...
                            X