Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I will become a parent I won't let my kids rely on one food staple.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • If I will become a parent I won't let my kids rely on one food staple.

    One thing that is very known about Asians is our reliance to Rice. If you will go to an Asian Branch of KFC, the fried chicken is partnered with rice and not with mashed potatoes or biscuits. The structure of most Asian meals consist of the viand and rice. Viand is the dish you will pair up with the rice. So in case of KFC, the fried chicken is the viand. Only few Asian countries that don't rely in rice and the only one I can name is Mongolia. Their main staple is milk curd.

    India uses rice as a staple but they have other staples like beans and flat bread. So I believe Indians can survive a rice famine.

    Most East Asian and South east Asians relied too much on rice.

    Back to the topic, A long time ago, Ireland depends on one staple and that is the potato. When the potato famine happened millions of Irish people died. This famine is also the reason why the Irish language declined. Just imagine how a rice famine can damage Asia. I want to make sure my kids will learn to eat different type of staples they can pair with their meals.

    Just imagine how a wheat famine can impact countries were bread is the main staple.

    For some countries these are their main staple:

    Peas
    Beans
    Plantains
    Sweet potato
    Manioc
    Tapioca
    Unripe banana
    Lentil
    Chia seeds
    Oat meal
    Taro
    Corn

    If I become a parent I will introduce my children to different kinds of staple because making them rely too much on rice is not a good disaster and economic crisis preparation. People adjusting to a new staple actually experiences withdrawals.
    Last edited by Billy; 06-20-2015, 05:27 AM.

  • #2
    Pardon me but a person with one staple can easily shift to another food staple in times of disasters and calamity. In 1973 when there was a sudden increase of oil prices in the world market, our country was terribly hit and food supplies were affected. I was our family's errand boy who would line up in the Barangay office (that's the community government) to buy rice. But I cannot buy rice only. In order to buy rice I also have to buy an equal amount of milled corn. So what we ate during those times was rice for dinner and corn for lunch. It's just fine, we lived on it for some months.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Alexandoy View Post
      Pardon me but a person with one staple can easily shift to another food staple in times of disasters and calamity. In 1973 when there was a sudden increase of oil prices in the world market, our country was terribly hit and food supplies were affected. I was our family's errand boy who would line up in the Barangay office (that's the community government) to buy rice. But I cannot buy rice only. In order to buy rice I also have to buy an equal amount of milled corn. So what we ate during those times was rice for dinner and corn for lunch. It's just fine, we lived on it for some months.
      Not all Filipino families are that resourceful though. There are starving families who starves because they can't afford rice. They didnt know that something cheaper like plantain or sweet potato can give them sustainance they needed. There won't be a rice shortage and rice Price hike if Filipinos are not dependent on rice. Majority of families are dependent on rice.

      Also adjusting to a new staple is not easy. You won't fill full if you don't have your main staple. You will have withdrawals. People who are raised to be multistaple don't have a hard time adjusting.

      Comment


      • #4
        During WWII, we had no choice but to manage on limited staples in the UK as there was food rationing. People soon got around this though as the government and various other organisations had provided information on ways to make the most of this. Additionally, pepole were advised on how to grow food and rear pigs for pork.

        If such advice hadn't been provided however, I do think people would have really suffered, simply through lack of knowledge.

        Billy, I understand what you mean about adjusting to a new staple. My usual carbs are bread and potatoes and I can recall a time during my student days when I had a 5kg bag of rice at home and very little money for anything else. For three weeks, I ate rice every day and whilst the portions I ate will surely have seemed huge to you, they barely filled me. It was actually that point which inspired me to find out more about food and cookery so I would never have to do that again.
        Billy likes this.

        Comment


        • #5
          I worked abroad once on a country were the main staple is lentil and I never felt full or satisfied because it is not the one I grew up with. I also tried Pasta, It is delicious it I but felt like I am having withdrawals because of the lack of rice. I think a person who is raised to eat different staples won't have a hard time adjusting because their stomach is able to feel satisfied no matter what is their source of carbs. In Asia the McDonald's serves rice burger. That is how extreme Asians preferred Rice over bread or Pasta. I noticed most Americans are multi staple when it comes to diet. Americans eats different dishes around the world so shortage of one certain staple wont be a national issue. At certain point I tried adjusting to bread and potatoes and had a hard time. I am not rice dependent anymore. I can eat different type of staple and feel satisfied.
          Last edited by Billy; 06-21-2015, 02:27 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            I think that's a wonderful idea! In case they need to, it'll be good for them to know how to cook other types of food, and how to eat them as well. Crawdads you have to eat a certain way. Not to mention the health benefits. One of the biggest threats, post apoclypse is scurvy. The variety could easily save their lives
            Billy likes this.

            Comment


            • #7
              Having a multi staple diet is great because not only diversifies your nutrition. A famine of a certain staple won't be a struggle for you. Just imagine the if Irish people find alternatives to potatoes during the potato famine. Ireland's history would have been different if they have alternatives to potatoes. I don't want my kids to experience the withdrawals I experienced in a country that doesn't eat rice. A person who doesn't rely on one staple food can handle any food shortage and famine.

              Comment


              • #8
                Yes, I strongly agree with you on the fact that we should not depend on any food item even when there is no famine. We should also train our kids for this. It is beneficial to take seasonal foods as during that time there is high concentration of vitamins and minerals in them. But I am surprised to see the news about the death of the people of Ireland due to acute shortage of potato. I wonder how people can die when there is shortage of their favourite food. Usually, they will be forced to eat other eatables in such conditions.

                But it is a relief that due to globalization almost all food items are readily available all over the world and people are free to choose from a number of options. But due to high rise in population a possible famine in future cannot be ruled out.


                Originally posted by Billy View Post
                One thing that is very known about Asians is our reliance to Rice. If you will go to an Asian Branch of KFC, the fried chicken is partnered with rice and not with mashed potatoes or biscuits. The structure of most Asian meals consist of the viand and rice. Viand is the dish you will pair up with the rice. So in case of KFC, the fried chicken is the viand. Only few Asian countries that don't rely in rice and the only one I can name is Mongolia. Their main staple is milk curd.

                India uses rice as a staple but they have other staples like beans and flat bread. So I believe Indians can survive a rice famine.

                Most East Asian and South east Asians relied too much on rice.

                Back to the topic, A long time ago, Ireland depends on one staple and that is the potato. When the potato famine happened millions of Irish people died. This famine is also the reason why the Irish language declined. Just imagine how a rice famine can damage Asia. I want to make sure my kids will learn to eat different type of staples they can pair with their meals.

                Just imagine how a wheat famine can impact countries were bread is the main staple.

                For some countries these are their main staple:

                Peas
                Beans
                Plantains
                Sweet potato
                Manioc
                Tapioca
                Unripe banana
                Lentil
                Chia seeds
                Oat meal
                Taro
                Corn

                If I become a parent I will introduce my children to different kinds of staple because making them rely too much on rice is not a good disaster and economic crisis preparation. People adjusting to a new staple actually experiences withdrawals.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Eating multiple types of food is not only good for famine and disaster preparation but it's also good for your health. Your body needs to get all the vitamins, proteins etc. that it needs, and by only using rice as a pair for every food you're going to run into issues. Do people in Asia who eat rice regularly get sick of it? Or do they eat it religiously?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    FuZyOn We love Rice so much we will eat hot dogs with a plate of rice instead of a bun. McDonalds actually have Rice buns for Asian branches because many Asians prefer rice over bread. Yes we love meat and vegetables but for us Asians everything have to be paired with rice. You can imagine the crazy withdrawal I go through when I try to change my diet. A large serving of steak with potatoes didn't make me feel full because my body is craving the carbs from rice. The only Asian country I know that doesn't rely on Rice is Mongolia because their main staple is horse or camel milk. Milk curd is important for Mongolians.
                    Last edited by Billy; 08-03-2015, 05:03 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Interesting, I've never thought about this topic before, and I think that's great. If you raise your children that way they are going to be more adaptable, because when you rely too much on a food staple it's difficult for your digestive system to accept a different type of food, besides that if you eat different types of food it will be definitely nutritional for you!
                      It's a great way to raise your children, keep it up!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It really take me a long time before I managed to feel satisfied with a diverse diet when it comes to staple. The price of rice kept on rising on my country so I decided to explore than other options. I know an event of rice shortage will cause a lot of chaos in my country but I am not going to be part of that chaos but I can now Survive without it. I can have a meal with beans, plantains or corn. I also learned how to make bread with non wheat flours. I enjoyed using beans flour, pumpkin flour and plantain flour. So A wheat shortage won't affect me neither.
                        Last edited by Billy; 08-03-2015, 05:04 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Billy View Post
                          FuZyOn We love Rice so much we will eat hot dogs with a plate of rice instead of a bun. McDonalds actually have Rice buns for Asian branches because many Asians prefer rice over bread. Yes we love meat and vegetables but for us Asians everything have to be paired with rice. You can imagine the crazy withdrawal I go through when I try to change my diet. A large serving of steam with potatoes didn't make me feel full because my body is craving the carbs from rice. The only Asian country I know that doesn't rely on Rice is Mongolia because their main staple is horse or camel milk. Milk curd is important for Mongolians.
                          Oh, I understand. Thank you so much for the clarification! Here in Romania we're usually eating a lot of beans and ham, although I think we have a pretty diversified culture. We eat a lot of different types of meat, ranging from chicken to rabbits, ducks and so on.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            So is beans the main staple of Romania or do you have have a more diverse selection of staple that you pair with dishes? We do eat bread and pasta here but only as a snack or party food. I admire the Italians because they don't rely on a staple too. If there is shortage of wheat, they have pasta made corn, buckwheat,barley and even beans. They also eat rice, polenta, potatoes and beans.

                            In my county, beans is not a staple, its a side dish for rice. I feel much more healthier when I diversified my diet instead of relying on the same staple. I don't suffer from withdrawal anymore.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X