No announcement yet.

I will rather have a vegetable garden than lawn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even if you don't have a backyard, there is so much that you can grow inside an apartment and on your balcony, and that includes a composting area and a worm farm. All it takes is some organisation and dedication. Obviously, you'll have to invest in some things, like containers, etc. that you wouldn't be needing if you had a backyard, but in the end it all pays off. I'm not so sure about keeping chickens in an apartment for eggs, but I have seen it done. In fact, I used to have a neighbor who had a rooster and two hens on his balcony on the seventh floor. Obviously, regulations here are not as strict as in first world countries.
    You can do so much to become self-sustained. All you need is some creative ideas and a bit of research.

Comment

I definitely believe that having a backyard garden is important and beneficial. I also appreciate lawns but if space is limited and it's a choice between a lawn and a vegetable garden, I would definitely choose and recommend a vegetable garden. Vegetable gardens provide us with our own form of food security. It won't necessarily prevent us from having to buy vegetables or groceries again but it can definitely decrease the amount of money we spend buying vegetables and food in general. In the event that certain foods are in short supply, we can at least have a little in our yard to supply us for a period of time. I personally think the quality can be much better when we tend to our own garden. In addition, I think gardening can be exciting and rewarding when you are able to watch your own vegetables or fruit trees grow and actually reap what you sow.

Comment

If I had a yard at all, I'd be right there with you on this one. I much prefer to grow food than something to just look at. Non edibles don't inspire me to put any effort into the yard. I think growing some of your own food is s great way to improve your health too becaus eating super fresh produce has the highest nutrients you can get.

Comment

There are plants though that can be ornamental and edible at the same . Nopales cactus recall looks beautiful and it has edible leaves and it can produced a prickly pear which is a very delicious fruit. Roses are used as a vegetable in many countries while in India they make a syrup out of them and they used for many desserts. I heard you can also make a jam out of roses. Chamomiles were beautiful flowers used as a delicious tea and if you eat their flowers raw, they tasted like apples. Calamondins were miniature limes that can grow in pots, they were popular decorative plants in California. They were smaller than lemon but you can use them as replacement for lemons.

Comment

We also have a small garden area in the front yard and parts of the back yard.
            Because there are a lot of trees on the property, some parts of the yard do not get enough sun for anything to grow; but by utilizing planter pots, we can grow vegetables in the areas where we do get sunshine.

Sadly, more and more areas are telling people that they are not allowed to grow vegetables in their yards, especially the front yard, where plants are visible from the road.
            This is being contested in court , because people are supposed to have a right to privacy in their own yard, and should be able to grow food there if they want to.

I think that if a person did make the garden have a landscaped look, by mixing flowers and veggies together, it would not be as noticible as just having a vegetable patch in the front yard.

https://reason.com/archives/2015/07/20/turf-war

Comment

Absolutely.
              If I had known my HOA was so against them I would not have bought where I did.
              Lawns are so useless! Rather have tons of good edible stuff.
              Next house is going to take this into consideration. Something with more area to put towards growing produce.

Comment

Being able to make our own produce will give us abundance of food even if there is a nationwide crisis. It is easier to maintain a backyard garden over a commercial mass produce agricultural farm. The prices of many basic necessities like food kept on rising, it won't be much of a problem if we can make our own food. I saw a YouTube Gardener who is not buying groceries anymore, he have a harvest everyday. It took him years to make a self sustaining homestead but he is now thriving. He also have hens to provide him some eggs as well.

Comment

Yes, it is the need of the hour. It is really a welcome sign that people are becoming health conscious nowadays. In India it is becoming very popular due to extensive use of pesticides on crops by big farm owners. There is a big mindset change happening here. People want to cultivate what they want to eat. It is really a nice thing for the whole world.

Comment

I agree with this. I would turn my whole lawn into a garden. I live on an 8 acre farm anyways and we always plant a huge garden every year. I feel that in this day in society, we better figure out how to grow our own food supply. There may be a day sooner than we think, where a lot of the veggies and fruits we see in the stores wont be available anymore.

Comment

Working...
                    X