I will rather have a vegetable garden than lawn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I will rather have a vegetable garden than lawn

With all the food shortages, famine ,drought and food price hike going on, I will rather have vegetables on my backyard instead of Bermuda grass. Maybe if I will raise rabbits for food , I may have use for the grass but I want to diversity when it comes to the food I can eat. There is no uniform house rule in my town so I won't have to worry about being sued for having no grass on my lawn.

On my backyard I planted some greens and root vegetables. I also decided to have fruit bearing trees. I am sure the trees won't be useful on the first few years but patience will be rewarding in the end. I didn't waste the space on my roof top and balcony as I decided to have a container garden. I didn't plant any ornamental plant unless they were edible. I hope my garden will be so sustainable that I wont be needing to buy vegetables from the grocery. I believe that even people who lives in urban areas should start vegetable gardening. The plants decreases the air pollution and they provide food as well.
    Last edited by Billy; 06-18-2015, 02:17 AM.
    gracer, Tumbleweed and fcphdJim like this.

Exactly,that is why even before a couple of years people had stated that it would be a better idea to dive into agriculture,because with all other sectors reaching a saturation point,Agriculture may as well start to be the backbone of many an economies.
    Its tough to become a farmer though,despite the simple process involved.
    Billy likes this.

Comment

• Billy
      Billy commented
      Editing a comment
      There is now a trend of urban farming on New York. There are people who are container farming vegetables on the rooftop of sky scrapers. They said that the polluted air of the city is actually good for the plants. Imagine the decrease of air pollution if more people are farmng on cities. I do hope that this trend will keep growing specially in air polluted areas.

With all the news stories about drought and lack of food in other places, it's really a nice idea to tend your own fruit and vegetable garden right in your own backyard or even on your balcony. In the provinces here in the Philippines, most houses have ample backyards and most of the residents have their own fruit bearing trees and vegetable gardens. So whenever storm season or economically challenging times come to them, they don't worry much because they have food in their backyards. If they don't have money to buy viands from stores and groceries, they just turn to their gardens and they survive.
    Billy likes this.

Comment

In our house, we have a variety of plants - decorative and edible like vegetables and spices and fruits. The few ornamentals are tended by my wife and the edibles are all mine. I had lime trees, ginger, banana, cashew, mulberry, sweet potato, oh, the list is long. It is a joy to harvest from my plants especially when people eating the meal would remark about the freshness of the vegetables. By the way, I also have big planter pots to augment my garden beds.
      Billy likes this.

Comment

The only ornamental plants I will plant in my backyard are the edible and medicinal ones. I don't like plants that are useless during famine. Did you know Rose is edible? It can be turned into tea, the petals can be used for salads and you can even use them to make Jams and candies. The roses from flower shops though cannot be eaten because they were marinated in preservatives and laundry bleach. I am sure that one is going to be poisonous.

Comment

There are several plants that can be grown for consumption. Lots of them aren't your typical salad based diet, but can be grown for consumption. But the point I would like emphasize more on is your idea of raising rabbits. You can just let the vegetation on the back yard grow out like weeds and feed the rabbits with that. To be honest I'd rather have meat from rabbits then greenery. I think if you had a stable of 20 females and several males, you can have meat everyday of the week. Can you imagine having that much rabbits. Also, you could raise pigeons instead of chickens. They multiply easily and don't make as much noise.

Comment

About pigeons, Unlike chickens, they were easier to free range. They don't need a cage at all, they will always comeback to you even if out kill some of them for food. So I guess pigeons who are raised for meat have a more human life than a chicken. About chickens, I hate roosters! Making noise 3 am in the morning while you are trying to sleep is really a hassle. I do raise rabbits for meat but I love my vegetables, I really like some balance on my meal. When I eat chicken or pork, I felt like there is a day tightening on my cheast but I dont experience that with rabbit because they have less fat. You can also use their poop to grow button mushrooms and straw mushrooms.

Comment

I always think it is a good idea to plant some fruit and vegetables of your own. It is not even for "famine". There are a range of benefits from this.
              1. It keeps you active. To take care of your crops, it is a form of workout which is good for your health.
              2. You know exactly what you put on (and under) your crops. So there will be no overuse of chemical fertilizers and/or pesticides.
              3. It saves you a little bit money here and there. It should be cheaper than buy from the supermarket.
              4. It will be fresher than the produce you buy from the store.

It is also a good idea to raise a few chickens in the backyard. Just for some eggs lol. Believe it or not, the eggs laid by free range chickens will be 10x better than those confined "assembly line" chickens.

Comment

We also have a garden in our backyard. We have malunggay plant, mango tree, aloe vera plant and 'tanglad' plant. Sorry as I do not know the English translations of some of them, lol. Most of these we use in everyday cooking and they grow all year round too!

Comment

Briannagodess I will try to translate them in English for you. malunggay is Moringa and it is now internationally popular because of it's health benefits. Tanglad is called lemongrass because it looks like a grass and smells like lemons rinds. Back to the topic, I started to grow pineapples in buckets. I found out that the crown of the pineapple can be planted to soil and it will grow into a pineapple again. I just harvested one and after eating the flesh, I replanted it again. After the Garlic shortage that happened in my area, I started planting garlic in buckets too.

Comment

• Briannagodess
                    Briannagodess commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you for the translations! Yeah moringa is also really good for milk production in breastfeeding moms. Lemongrass sounds about right for tanglad as we use it to make our dishes smell nice!

Wow pineapples are delicious however I think they would only grow in cooler climates so we really cannot plant this. It is nice to plant garlic also as some food recipes have it as an ingredient.

• Billy
                    Billy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Morningga is a proven super food, I remember a documentary where they fed it to malnourished children in Africa and in just one week the children were energetic and nourished again. They also tried it to it to cancer patients and they see some gradual improvements their health.

I live in an apartment building which makes having a garden very hard (haha). We do have a balcony which means we have set up some plants as well as a basil plant which has come in useful so much. When I move out of New York in the future I will definitely be planting a apple tree plant as well as tomatoes and cucumbers. I think a lawn is truly nice but having a garden is not only nice but pleasing to the eye and useful on top of that!

Comment

I've been looking into the vegetable garden option in addition to rabbits. I'm all about a quick turn around. Especially if you have very little space to work with. I would like to see results and a harvest every month. I did a quick search and there are a few vegetables that are ready to be harvest in 30 days or less.

If you just grew lettuce, green onion, and radishes, you would have a steady supply every month.
                    The 12 fastest growing vegetables to get your garden started, whether you're starting late in the season or are just impatient and can't wait to harvest!

Comment

I once saw a yard where the lawn was a vegetable garden set up to look like landscaping. It was pretty awesome. In place of flowers they had cabbage heads and artichokes. They also had sunflowers growing. It was pretty inventive and I have been considering copycatting the design.
                      Where there is an beginning, there is an end.
                      Where there is an end, there is a new beginning.

Comment

I would prefer a vegetable garden too. As long as there was a little space for me to have a small table and chair outside, I'd be happy. All a lawn really does is look decorative and even then, this requres a great deal of maintenance. A vegetable plot, on the other hand, provides food, can look amazing, as other posters have already suggested and there is a certain joy in looking out at a crop which you have grown yourself. Far more satisfying than keeping the edges of a boring old lawn straight.

Comment

When I owned my own home I always had a vegetable garden. I grew more then enough for me so I use to take the majority of what I had grown and bring it to the local food banks and soup kitchen. I knew then that it was going to good use. It was a very gratifying thing to know you made the difference in a person's life by doing something so little.

Comment

Working...
                          X