If you can't beat them, eat them!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you can't beat them, eat them!

One of the most common causes of famine would be pest. These animals are the reason why many farmers experienced bankruptcy. The most common way most farmers deal with pest is with the use of pesticides.

Years ago I was able to talk with a 90 year old man who survived the Great depression. He is dead now but he has a story that kind of makes me think. His farm got attacked by Garden Snails and rabbits. He can't afford to buy pesticides against the snails so he decided a very practical solution. He decided to eat them. Garden snails are edible and so as rabbit meat. In no time he is able to get rid of the pest by consuming them.

I know many farmers in China eat the locusts because they harm their rice fields. I think carp became invasive in some rivers in the United States and to save the local species on the rivers, there are residents who decided to eat the invasive animals.

I think there will be less famine cost by invasive animals if people will consider eating them. It will control their population in no time.

It does seem like the natural order of things - killing and eating things which threaten our food supply. You see animals doing this on the Discovery Channel all the time. It's just the pests themselves which may seem unappetising to some. I've certainly heard of people trapping rabbits, not only to protect their crops, but to eat as well.

Comment

• Billy
      Billy commented
      Editing a comment
      I think by far rabbits might be the easiest one to eat among the pest. Most likely people will have issues with insects, reptiles or amphibians. I know Vegans always say meat eaters harm nature but this is a scenario where the meat eaters helps nature and also save an economy.
      Last edited by Billy; 05-12-2015, 09:14 PM.

In a serious famine the people most likely do this right away. If the pest is really the only cause of the famine it will probably work, but often drought or blight is involved, and those things can't be stopped.

Comment

I think famine caused by blight and drought can be solved by planting alternate crops. I remember the story of a farmer who decided to plant corn instead of rice because corn will need less water in times of droughts. For sure thought transitioning from one crop to another will be a long and slow process. It will take a lot of work and patience to go through this. I heard recently the lion fish is becoming a pest in American oceans. I hope some Americans will consider eating this fish. It will really save some endangered species in American oceans. I mean a fish is not as controversial as an insect.

Comment

I'm all for that. Everything is almost edible, so all you have to do is figure out how to cook it right.

I just wish there was a pest problem with cows in the area so I can have steaks everyday. But seriously, in my current area I think stray cats would be on the menu. I always see new cats in the area. In a few months I see new litters. It never ends. I'm part Chinese so I don't have a problem eating them.
        Last edited by JoshPosh; 05-17-2015, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• Billy
          Billy commented
          Editing a comment
          I dont see cats are pest though, I rather see them as pest control because they kill rats. (I am a cat person btw so killing a cat is not something I will do, ) I wont mind eating a field mouse but I will not dare a to eat a city rat.

I would rather try to sell those snails to someone who needs them, rather than eating them. I find them too disgusting to eat, I hope I'm not the only one.

Comment

• Billy
          Billy commented
          Editing a comment
          Well if you think about it, Pigs are more disgusting than snails. Pigs eats their own poop. Snails only eats plants. If you blend them with a food processor and add some some flour seasonings, you can turn them into delicious crispy fried patties.

Originally posted by Arvis View Post
        I would rather try to sell those snails to someone who needs them, rather than eating them. I find them too disgusting to eat, I hope I'm not the only one.

What's disgusting in one country is actually a delicacy in others. I for one have no problem eating anything. If I was hungry and if you cook it right, I'd probably eat it. Now if you were cooking really off base like chilled monkey brains? I would have a hard time swallowing that. But if you took the time to cook it with sauces and spice, it might actually taste good. It's all about preparation and the texture after cooking it.

Comment

if you think about it people loves to eat ice cream despite of the fact that companies loves adding castoreum on them. Castoreum is the butt of a beaver. Yes beavers are killed because their butts were essential for making commercialized ice cream brands.
          Eating invasive fishes will be good for the environment. It will save the local species from getting instinct.

Comment

• JoshPosh
            JoshPosh commented
            Editing a comment
            You won't eat cats because you're a cat lover. It's not because they eat rats. Let's get that out of the way. If it came down to it. I eat a rat and a cat. So there is no pest problem. I'm a dog lover myself, but I'll eat a dog if I have to. I won't fall back on the excuse saying that dogs control the cat problem. Cat's are a pest in my area. All they do is multiply and rip through everyone garbage and crap in my soft garden soil. That is a pest that can scale walls.

But its not always snails and rabbits. There are way more dangerous pests that cannot be eaten. So, it's not fool proof.
          But still, nice story!

Comment

Originally posted by JoshPosh View Post

What's disgusting in one country is actually a delicacy in others. I for one have no problem eating anything. If I was hungry and if you cook it right, I'd probably eat it. Now if you were cooking really off base like chilled monkey brains? I would have a hard time swallowing that. But if you took the time to cook it with sauces and spice, it might actually taste good. It's all about preparation and the texture after cooking it.
          It's a good point, but simply taste about the food isn't everything for me. It's kind of important how it smells, how it looks and what it is after all.
          And as calicer1996 said, not always pests can be eaten.
          Snails are also a problem in my garden, they are like... everywhere. So is there an alternative method of dealing with them, apart from eating and pesticides? Garden is very large and money is an issue.

Comment

• JoshPosh
            JoshPosh commented
            Editing a comment
            Take the snails and let them sit in some water to purge them of any dirt and debris. Change out the water frequently, and later boil them. Let them boil for awhile and after that throw them into some butter and garlic. Boil them in that for a bit. Now try and eat them. You can eat them if you really had to. It's about survival.

JoshPosh Wow man! Is there anything that you can't eat? I am amazed!

Comment

I remember when I was in college, I had read an article about the rats that ravaged the rice fields in Thailand. What the government did was to make a research on the meat of the rats - if it is edible and palatable. It turned out that rat meat is just like rabbit meat that is similar to venison - deer meat. Thailand launched a campaign on the new delicacy... rat meat. And so the rice fields were freed of rats because of that innovation.

Comment

Though talking about health, it's not always safe to eat them. I sometimes don't even want to touch these pests. They are pests and I hope they are not pests to human health also. Though I have heard of worms and bugs being eaten by people for survival. Insects are also being processed as a snack and being served on snack house. It's just too hard to just eat the insects.

Comment

In the 1970s First Lady Imelda Marcos of the Philippines imported the golden snail from Vietnam. The purpose was not clear although some people said that it was for food. The snails were released in the rice fields so the farmers will have something during harder times. But it turned out that the farmers did not relish the golden snails for food so in effect those big snails became pests in the rice field.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandoy View Post
                  In the 1970s First Lady Imelda Marcos of the Philippines imported the golden snail from Vietnam. The purpose was not clear although some people said that it was for food. The snails were released in the rice fields so the farmers will have something during harder times. But it turned out that the farmers did not relish the golden snails for food so in effect those big snails became pests in the rice field.
                  I have heard of the story. Those snails are said to help in agriculture though as you have stated, it just became as a pest. About those snails, it is really being eaten and it taste delicious. I once had adventure on the Cordillera Region Philippines and we had this culture exchange. One of the food served are the cooked snails, boiled added with soy sauce and others (cooked like adobo) and it really taste the best.

Comment

Working...
                  X