No announcement yet.

Insects food of the future?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was in my early 20s, I was lucky to have entered a rainforest with my friends who grew up near the vicinity. We chanced upon a fallen tree and noticed some white worms wriggling their way up the log. One of my friends picked up a worm and tasted it. He said it tasted like milkl. And he got a handful and offered them to us. There were 6 of us and I was the only hesitant in the group. So with caution, I put one worm in my mouth and slowly bit on it. Yeah, he was right all along. That worm tasted like milk. And you know what that is? Baby termites, the giant termites in the forest.

Comment

As we wipe out higher levels of animals and fishes due to over use, we are forced to eat lower forms of animals to get protein. So as someone here pointed out, originally lobster was something which was only eaten by poor people. But as it became popular the amount of lobsters started to decline. So probably Americans will be forced to start eating insects in the future. I am not sure exactly how these insects are raised, but it has to be more economical then raising chickens or cows.

Comment

Originally posted by tanker View Post
        As we wipe out higher levels of animals and fishes due to over use, we are forced to eat lower forms of animals to get protein. So as someone here pointed out, originally lobster was something which was only eaten by poor people. But as it became popular the amount of lobsters started to decline. So probably Americans will be forced to start eating insects in the future. I am not sure exactly how these insects are raised, but it has to be more economical then raising chickens or cows.
        From what I understand, ten pounds of animal feed yields six pounds of insect meat, for comparison, ten pounds of animal feed yields just one pound of beef, three pounds of pork and five pounds of chicken.

According to this article by Quartz, as global food prices continue to rise, the cost of animal feed has has driven up meat prices.

Because they are cold-blooded, insects require less energy to stay warm and are therefore more efficient at converting feed into protein (crickets, for example, need 12 times less feed than cattle, four times less than sheep, and half as much as pigs and broiler chickens to produce the same amount of protein). Also, the cost of gathering insects (as is the practice in developing countries) or producing them at scale is relatively low.

Graph copyright: Quartz

Comment

Wow producing meat is very costly. Now I want to see the comparison between wheat floor and cricket flour. I heard many bakeries are starting to use it for the non vegan gluten free market. From what I remember cricket flour have less carbs than wheat flour but has more protein.

All products that uses an ingredient known as "natural red color" is made of a beetle found in Mexico. So many people are unaware they have been eating insects.

Comment

There is a good delicacy on insects. I have watched a program on our local TV about worms being fried to be eaten. According to the Department of Health, the said worm is safe to eat and it gives enough protein for our body. I have also watched bugs being fried and becoming crunchy as snack for the day. I haven't tasted it yet though.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy View Post
              Wow producing meat is very costly. Now I want to see the comparison between wheat floor and cricket flour. I heard many bakeries are starting to use it for the non vegan gluten free market. From what I remember cricket flour have less carbs than wheat flour but has more protein.

All products that uses an ingredient known as "natural red color" is made of a beetle found in Mexico. So many people are unaware they have been eating insects.
              While conducting some research on the cost of cricket flour, I was able to find this article which puts the cost of cricket flour at anywhere between $20 and $40 per pound depending on the supplier and time of the year. Obviously, this is substantially higher than the cost of wheat flour which sells for approximately $1 per pound.

Comment

Originally posted by dillinger10 View Post

Would your feelings change if you were in the wilderness and your only option to survive was to eat bugs? You even mentioned that they tasted like chips and it was more a mind over matter thing.
                Well I don't really know the answer to that. If I was in the wilderness I would actually be fishing and hunting for my food, not sitting around picking at the group for insects. However, if my life depended on it I am sure I would come to a point where I would be so hungry I really wouldn't care what I ate. If this was a real life event, and I still had this same feeling about bugs I would just eat some poison berry's or have someone inject me with poison so that way I can have better food in the afterlife. :P

Comment

jesuslover0314 What is your opinion about commercial lipstick and natural red food coloring? Those things were made of crushed beetles. The only lipstick that don't use crushed beetles are the vegan lipsticks. Majority of lipstick brands from Avon to Cover girl used crushed beetles. Those beetles are also used for making tomato sauce and strawberry ice cream. Those beetles are harvested from Mexico. Majority of commercial red colored food from candies to juices uses those beetles. Most likely you have eaten those beetles with you not being aware of it. Most countries commercially uses those insects. They were crushed into powder.
                  dillinger10 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy View Post
                    jesuslover0314 What is your opinion about commercial lipstick and natural red food coloring? Those things were made of crushed beetles. The only lipstick that don't use crushed beetles are the vegan lipsticks. Majority of lipstick brands from Avon to Cover girl used crushed beetles. Those beetles are also used for making tomato sauce and strawberry ice cream. Those beetles are harvested from Mexico. Majority of commercial red colored food from candies to juices uses those beetles. Most likely you have eaten those beetles with you not being aware of it. Most countries commercially uses those insects. They were crushed into powder.
                    Excellent point, Billy. I was curious as to what other foods contains bugs and found this article which provided some eye opening information - among them, the FDA allows mushrooms to contain 19 maggots and 74 mites in every 3.5-ounce can and that chocolate contains ground up cockroaches. That certainly gives you food for thought - sorry for the bad pun!

Comment

Some commercial brand of tomato sauce also uses the battle used for making red lipstick. These beetles were said to give thus vibrant red color making the food more appetizing. These beetles are also used for making candies and fruit juices. I have a feeling many vegans are unaware they already eaten this specie of beetle.

I heard silkworms are becoming a popular source of food as well. After trying to harvest silk from the insect pupa, they were being used as food items.

Comment

I am a strict vegan so I cannot think of eating insects. But for survival if I need to do it I will do it. But why should we eat these little creatures when most of them are really helpful in balancing our environment. A large number of them are already facing extinction due to high use of pesticides and if humans also started eating them they will disappear from earth within no time. Personally, I think we should think of eating other food items instead of these poor insects. If they happen to disappear that can result in very bad consequences in our food grain production which will ultimately lead to famine.

Comment

You are so getting along with Durian Rider an Freely Banana girl. First of all pesticides happens because of vegetables and plant based food. Second of all most edible insects are pest to livelihood on farmers and invasive pest to ecosystems. They were overpopulated invasive animals, they were not like the Elephants or tigers that were endangered and needed to be saved. Grasshoppers, Locusts, Beetles and Silk worms are not endangered animals. Eating these insects is better for the environment than keeping them alive.

If you eat vegetables, insects die we the its organic or sprayed.

Comment

Working...
                          X