Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insects food of the future?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Insects food of the future?

    Most Americans will find eating insects repulsive and disgusting but if you think about it, a cricket is much cleaner than a pig or a chicken. Pigs and chickens are being genetically modified and they were injected with lots of harmful chemicals. Crickets are much more organic and they were herbivores. They have higher protein but they have less fat. If you are a woman who loves using lipstick, your lipstick is red because itís made of crushed beetles. So yes there are things humans consume that have insects on it that people are not aware of. At this time most humans find insects disgusting but with all the famines in the world, this could be the future food source. In an earlier thread of mine I said that it took 30 years to make Americans accept eating lobster. Recently I get to taste an energy bar that is made of crickets and itís actually delicious, it tasted like a chocolate brownie. For todayís generation people will find eating insects barbaric or gross but this could be the progressive food source of the future.
    Insects donít need a lot of space, food and water unlike most animals we eat as meat and they wonít need fertilizers like fruits and vegetables. They have nutrition that is found in both plant based and carnivorous diet. So the benefits are there.

    By far these are the insects known to be safe to eat:

    Certain kinds of beetles
    Cricket (can be turned into flour and cricket flour is popular to some gluten free people)
    grasshopper
    Silk worms
    grub
    meal worm
    tequila worm

    Here are some videos of people trying to eat bugs for the first time:


    dillinger10 likes this.

  • #2
    That sucks man,i don't want to miss my vegan food,but humans in here are cutting across the cycle,leaving it completely exposed.Should humans restart and build the cycle vegans can still exist.Reconsider 'humans".I too will do my part.

    Comment


    • Billy
      Billy commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe Vegans can still exist but if you are a Vegan, its better to start a garden in your backyard because you wont be able to trust those GMO and pesticide filled commercial veggies. Also in case of Famine, At least you are able to raise your own food.

      In case of meat eaters, they should learn how to hunt or at least organically farm animals that they eat.

  • #3
    I doubt many people would be willing to eat bugs if there was any other source of calories left to be eaten first. I would think it would a last resort for people only to be done when they realize it's literally do or die. You mentioned that crickets are low fat. That does pose a nutritional problem. People can not survive long on a low fat food if they don't have enough carbs. Just like someone lost in the woods for an extended period of time will starve even if they are eating rabbits because the rabbits do not have enough fat to sustain a person for very long.
    Billy likes this.

    Comment


    • #4
      Originally posted by DancingLady View Post
      I doubt many people would be willing to eat bugs if there was any other source of calories left to be eaten first. I would think it would a last resort for people only to be done when they realize it's literally do or die. You mentioned that crickets are low fat. That does pose a nutritional problem. People can not survive long on a low fat food if they don't have enough carbs. Just like someone lost in the woods for an extended period of time will starve even if they are eating rabbits because the rabbits do not have enough fat to sustain a person for very long.
      Actually, approximately two billion people eat a wide variety of insects - both cooked and raw - on a regular basis. 80% of countries around the world have them on the menu in some form. and it is really only Western countries where eating insects has yet to gain a strong foothold, however, this is starting to become a growing trend with gourmet insect bars, which are high in protein, leading the way.

      You can read more about the popularity of insects around the globe here.
      Billy likes this.

      Comment


      • #5
        I did know that there are places where incests are commonly eaten, but yes, I am referring to the western world. The gross factor is likely to be a huge hindrance to most people. I don't know if I'd be able to eat them without gagging myself. I suppose if they were so mashed up in a food processor you couldn't tell what it was when it was mixed in with other foods that would be different. I know some bugs are clean, but the perception is that they are dirty.

        Comment


        • #6
          It is one of the best livestock in cases of famine because it is a cheap source of protein and it is easier to farm them over mammals, birds and fishes. They were also less sensitive than crops and they don't take a lot of space. don't I think it will be embraced by people by an instant but people will eventually give in. Potatoes are originally planted by people as food for swine and now it is a dominant staple in many countries.
          Last edited by Billy; 05-11-2015, 11:35 AM.

          Comment


          • #7
            I've eaten crickets before and they are pretty good actually. It's all about preparation and sauces/spices. If you cook it right you would never know that it was insects. It's when it is still alive and moving around is what makes it hard to put down.

            Comment


            • #8
              Originally posted by JoshPosh View Post
              I've eaten crickets before and they are pretty good actually. It's all about preparation and sauces/spices. If you cook it right you would never know that it was insects. It's when it is still alive and moving around is what makes it hard to put down.

              So what kind of cricket dish they did serve you? I think usually crickets are stir fried but cricket desserts are becoming a trend nowadays. Also making a flour out of them is becoming popular because it is good for gluten free people. I believe in 10 years cricket flour will be highly accepted. It is a low carb and high protein flour that is gluten free. It is also easier to raise them over wheat.

              Comment


              • #9
                I cannot imagine myself eating insects. But I remember when I was in grade school and I vacationed in the province, my cousin and I went to the field to catch brown beetle locally known as SALAGUBANG. My aunt detached the wings of the beetles that we caught and she fried it in oil and soy sauce. That was our dinner for that night. I couldn't eat. Although the taste was kind of delicious, I was like eating cockroaches. Yuck.

                Comment


                • #10
                  Originally posted by Billy View Post


                  So what kind of cricket dish they did serve you? I think usually crickets are stir fried but cricket desserts are becoming a trend nowadays. Also making a flour out of them is becoming popular because it is good for gluten free people. I believe in 10 years cricket flour will be highly accepted. It is a low carb and high protein flour that is gluten free. It is also easier to raise them over wheat.


                  I ate this bad boy in the Philippines.

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    This topic has become big news in my little community. In July we are going to celebrate our first annual grasshopper festival. The "Bug Chef" David Gordon is going to visit our town to give a talk and demonstration. And, we have several locals who have committed to raising food-grade grasshoppers as a business. There is already a demand for the grasshoppers for flour, and the growers are exploring other potential outlets. I may even get in on the fun, as I'm currently in discussion with one of the growers about building custom plexiglass and screen grasshopper cages. I doubt that people in the west will get past the "gross" factor of eating whole bugs anytime soon, but when they are ground up and cooked into dishes they are simply a great (and readily-available) source of protein.
                    Billy likes this.

                    Comment


                    • Billy
                      Billy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think I will give it 40 years before it became fully accepted in the west. Oh I remember the Mars One program will make the astronauts farm insects in Mars so they will have a protein source on their colony. By far it is only the hippies who are interested on eating them. I like the taste of the brownies made of cricket flour. I never felt I was eating insects at all. That festival will really open minds of some people. I think the stigma againts eating bugs will slowly disappear but It won,t be an easyway?.

                  • #12
                    Billy : Actually a good idea,because more than Engineering/or any science,agriculture is and will be the backbone of most economies.India is overloaded with engineers that no one takes up agriculture.it is a good time to quit engineering and start it up,before others pitch in.
                    Also vegans can survive as u suggested,but meat lovers ..future looks bleak

                    Comment


                    • #13
                      I've had Chapulines at least a couple of times and it isn't half bad. It is Mexican dish made from grasshoppers. They are thoroughly cleaned and cooked in a mixture of lime juice, garlic, and a salt extract from agave worms.

                      Beyond that, it would make sense to explore this source of proteins. We live in a very hungry world, so we have to get creative. Considering us humans are omnivores, why not tap another food source.
                      "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

                      Comment


                      • #14
                        You guys may not really care what I have to say about this but this IS disgusting. I have ate some bugs before because I was forced too, but I would much rather have food that was placed on this earth for us humans to eat. Just the texture and the look of the bugs make me wanna puke.

                        All my life I have been quite afraid of bugs, as if they may hurt me. I am not as scared of bugs as I used too be but that fear is still there, and eating a bug that I am afraid of just isn't going to work out for me.

                        I had ate several bugs before but it was because I was forced to do so. Just remembering that time was gross, but it tasted like chips. However, I will not ever want to eat a bug again. Eating bugs that want to eat you does not flow well in the brain.

                        When I look at bugs no matter what they look like I see that disgusting texture and look. It makes me want to puke seeing these awful looking insects. I will not ever want to eat a bug. I am thinking to myself, never! Sure, there may be protein involved but I am protein... That is my middle name! So, no bugs needed.

                        Comment


                        • Billy
                          Billy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          They don't taste and look like bugs when they were powdered into flour. Flour made of bugs is actually healthier than flour made of wheat which causes diabetes, obesity and cancer. Lips stick and natural red food coloring is made of Beatles. I think you are just born n a generation where it is seen as gross but the generations after you won't. BTW some mainstream bakeries are now using cricket flour for their gluten free breads.

                          Red Velvet cupcakes most likely to have bugs.

                      • #15
                        Originally posted by jesuslover0314 View Post
                        You guys may not really care what I have to say about this but this IS disgusting. I have ate some bugs before because I was forced too, but I would much rather have food that was placed on this earth for us humans to eat. Just the texture and the look of the bugs make me wanna puke.

                        All my life I have been quite afraid of bugs, as if they may hurt me. I am not as scared of bugs as I used too be but that fear is still there, and eating a bug that I am afraid of just isn't going to work out for me.

                        I had ate several bugs before but it was because I was forced to do so. Just remembering that time was gross, but it tasted like chips. However, I will not ever want to eat a bug again. Eating bugs that want to eat you does not flow well in the brain.

                        When I look at bugs no matter what they look like I see that disgusting texture and look. It makes me want to puke seeing these awful looking insects. I will not ever want to eat a bug. I am thinking to myself, never! Sure, there may be protein involved but I am protein... That is my middle name! So, no bugs needed.
                        Would your feelings change if you were in the wilderness and your only option to survive was to eat bugs? You even mentioned that they tasted like chips and it was more a mind over matter thing.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X