Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighting Hunger in your Own Country Versus Fighting Hunger in Foreign Countries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fighting Hunger in your Own Country Versus Fighting Hunger in Foreign Countries

    A lot of people wish that we could help prevent Hunger in every corner of the world, but how much can we really do?

    I think that we should start to focus more on helping people in our own countries than we currently do. I see commercials all the time that say "donate 40 cents a day to help a child in need in developing countries," but I never see any commercials say "help feed the people in your neighborhood today by donating unneeded items." Also, the government seems to use a lot of our money to help other countries, but are less willing to help people in our own country who are in need, I think we should get a better handle on our own country before we start trying to help others.

    Also, how do we know that the money or food we donate is actually feeding the people in other countries? The government or local agencies in those countries may be taking our money and putting it in their own pockets instead of feeding the unfortunate. That still happens here in the United States, but at least we can donate to local shelters and know the food and money is actually helping those people in need.

    What do you all think? Should we put more emphasis on helping people in our own country than we currently do?

  • #2
    Here in my country, we can't even alleviate hunger and poverty. Even when the government helps the poor, it's still not enough to eradicate the problem. For me, it's more important to fight the hunger in my country first before the foreign ones.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by hatteraslover View Post
      A lot of people wish that we could help prevent Hunger in every corner of the world, but how much can we really do?

      I think that we should start to focus more on helping people in our own countries than we currently do. I see commercials all the time that say "donate 40 cents a day to help a child in need in developing countries," but I never see any commercials say "help feed the people in your neighborhood today by donating unneeded items." Also, the government seems to use a lot of our money to help other countries, but are less willing to help people in our own country who are in need, I think we should get a better handle on our own country before we start trying to help others.

      Also, how do we know that the money or food we donate is actually feeding the people in other countries? The government or local agencies in those countries may be taking our money and putting it in their own pockets instead of feeding the unfortunate. That still happens here in the United States, but at least we can donate to local shelters and know the food and money is actually helping those people in need.

      What do you all think? Should we put more emphasis on helping people in our own country than we currently do?
      Of course the whole logic behind this is some kind of laundering even from the charity money they get.
      They have their terms and conditions.For instance they receive a donation of $500,only $250 odd goes for the real needy.That is why iti s rather a more satisfactory way to buy them food straightaway because they really can't steal anything from "food".
      No offence to ones who run it,but this seems the idea behind running a charity and they call it mutual benefit.

      Comment


      • #4
        Whilst I cannot deny that there are other countries who need our help, the UK's international aid budget currently stands at 10.3 billion. It seems absurd when I consider the economic problems my country is currently experiencing.

        I agree that nobody ever seems to draw attention to the problems peple in our own countries face and very few people seem committed to doing something about it.

        Comment


        • #5
          I tend to agree. I also don't like the idea that corrupt "leaders" often take the aid that's given and use it to line their pockets, instead of giving it to their people. I don't like that some "charities" pay their CEO ridiculous bonuses instead of using that money the way its intended.

          The sickening greed displayed by some people ruin it for those who really need help.

          Usually, I prefer to donate things locally, to trusted charities or churches or food banks.

          Comment


          • #6
            I live in a country where you can't step outside your home without being asked for help every 20 minutes. People here are very ingenious when it comes to asking for money. They rarely ask directly for cash. Instead they do a little performance of whatever they are capable of, be it singing, reciting a poem, telling a story. Or they come onto the bus and hand out candies that you can hold in your hands for a few minutes and make up your mind about whether you want to buy them or not. Others will offer to carry your bags, help you across a difficult part of the road, tell you everything about certain plants in the park, and so on. Everything is done with a lot of dignity. And you rarely get an angry look when you don't happen to have a few pesos handy.
            I don't need to donate anything to people in other countries. My help is needed here where I live. And whatever I can give, directly ends up in the hands of those you desperately need it.

            Comment


            • #7
              The problem with America in my eyes is this, we are so concerned with whats going on overseas that we don't address the problems we have at home. Hunger, the poor, rotting infrastructure, all of that is put aside so we can lay the ground work in oil acquisition in the middle east. By doing so we have opened Pandora's box and made enemies that won't go away. We should just stay home and take care of our problems first before we decide to make new bases in the middle east. they don't want us there. So it's best if we move out.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MrZekrom View Post
                Here in my country, we can't even alleviate hunger and poverty. Even when the government helps the poor, it's still not enough to eradicate the problem. For me, it's more important to fight the hunger in my country first before the foreign ones.

                I live in the Philippines 6 months out of the year. Enlighten me. What does the Philippine government do to help the poor? From what I see and hear on a daily basis, is absolutely nothing. People who are poor are constantly making more babies so they can send them off to work. That is the main way of thinking here in the Philippines. My dog has a better living then the poor here and the local government does nothing but fill their own pockets with the foreign aid that other countries give them.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by JoshPosh View Post


                  I live in the Philippines 6 months out of the year. Enlighten me. What does the Philippine government do to help the poor? From what I see and hear on a daily basis, is absolutely nothing. People who are poor are constantly making more babies so they can send them off to work. That is the main way of thinking here in the Philippines. My dog has a better living then the poor here and the local government does nothing but fill their own pockets with the foreign aid that other countries give them.

                  I am sorry that happens to people there and for every other country that do the same thing. It is hard to help other people if the government stands in the way. If I had the money and could help, I would rather travel to those countries and give the food or money directly to the people who need it. I don't trust the governments or companies that say the money is going to help them. A lot of them spend thousands or millions of dollars just to create commercials for TV, instead of using that money to help out the people.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by hatteraslover View Post


                    I am sorry that happens to people there and for every other country that do the same thing. It is hard to help other people if the government stands in the way. If I had the money and could help, I would rather travel to those countries and give the food or money directly to the people who need it. I don't trust the governments or companies that say the money is going to help them. A lot of them spend thousands or millions of dollars just to create commercials for TV, instead of using that money to help out the people.
                    It is my understanding that most ads for nonprofits and charities are run through donated airtime. Typically, the creative work is also done pro-bono by ad agencies. As such, the ads cost the charity nothing, and the broadcaster deducts the value of the PSA as a donated service.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by dillinger10 View Post

                      It is my understanding that most ads for nonprofits and charities are run through donated airtime. Typically, the creative work is also done pro-bono by ad agencies. As such, the ads cost the charity nothing, and the broadcaster deducts the value of the PSA as a donated service.

                      I was also thinking about this after I made my post. I am sure some people "donate" their time, effort, etc to help create these ads to get more people to donate. I also know there are some that will use the money they received to create these commercials. I forget which ones there are now. I would hesitate to donate to any organization that is known to pocket the money they receive or use a good portion to keep creating new commercials/ads.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by hatteraslover View Post

                        I was also thinking about this after I made my post. I am sure some people "donate" their time, effort, etc to help create these ads to get more people to donate. I also know there are some that will use the money they received to create these commercials. I forget which ones there are now. I would hesitate to donate to any organization that is known to pocket the money they receive or use a good portion to keep creating new commercials/ads.
                        For those looking to conduct their own research before donating, I would recommend checking out Charity Navigator as they provide a wealth of information that will help inform you as to how much each charity spends on overheads and administrative costs.

                        This thread discussion that we had on the forum last year also provides a lot of great insights.

                        Additionally, this article may also be of interest to you as it provides a list of charities that spend more than 90% of the donations they received on goods and services.
                        Last edited by dillinger10; 04-24-2015, 12:25 AM.
                        missbishi likes this.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by hatteraslover View Post


                          I am sorry that happens to people there and for every other country that do the same thing. It is hard to help other people if the government stands in the way. If I had the money and could help, I would rather travel to those countries and give the food or money directly to the people who need it. I don't trust the governments or companies that say the money is going to help them. A lot of them spend thousands or millions of dollars just to create commercials for TV, instead of using that money to help out the people.
                          If you wanted to make a difference you need to do it yourself and not send it in. Everyone is a middle man and they will get a cut somehow.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            When I see the television adverts from charities asking for the monetary equivalent of a single water well, I often comment that I'd be far happier to go out there and build the well myself rather than entrust that charity with the money to do it.

                            dillinger10 those links make or very interesting ralding - cheers!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              There is actually an organization in the US known as Feeding America and this charity focuses on feeding Americans who can't buy food because of poverty and natural disasters . Certain celebrities are actually advocates of that program. If you wan't to help fellow Americans in need, You can search about this wonderful organization. They have nationwide food banks around the country that helps the people need.

                              I think there is more focus on helping third world countries because a dollar can go far there. I am a from a third world country and I am telling you, 10 dollars can feed a family here for a week.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X