Water

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water

We have been so concerned about how much oil we have and dependence on oil. We have come up with ways to increase the amount of oil we can use by fracking. However my concern is water. How many years can we continue to sustain our water consumption? Look at how much water we waste in the shower, washing our cars, brushing teeth, etc. We leave the water running and we including me treat it like it is going to last forever. Its a little scary when you think about it. The question I have is what we can do make water sustainable for centuries. Is is impossible? I doubt that. There has to be ways to not only sustain but also to make sure poorer places have it.

We can only recycle as much water as possible. Even though it's not an infinite supply. My take would be a few hundred of years and that's it. We need to create water and make the process more safe.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/env...ture-water.htm

Has a great read about manufacturing water.

Comment

I'm not sure water used in the shower is really "wasted". I mean yes, it is taken out of the environment, however, the water you shower with goes down the drain, eventually reaching a facility where it's purified and then put back into the environment. So, basically, the only water you're taking out of the local river is the droplets you're left with on your body after showering and whatever water you spill out of your shower box.

Comment

• tournique
        tournique commented
        Editing a comment
        It is not wasted but the whole process is costly and can be avoided, so why not ease up a little beat on water consumption?

I am assuming you are talking about America. The nice thing about living here is that there are no water shortages at all, even in the desert. Some water is moved 500 miles away, but there's plenty for all. I suppose this could change, but I don't see it happening here. Compared to Europe and Asia, North America doesn't have that many people. There are countries on the other side of the world that treat water as more precious than gold.
      There was once a man that envisioned transporting the plentiful water in America overseas in giant tanker ships, to be sold in arid countries. I don't believe he actually began the task, because water is just not valuable enough, even to desert countries, it seems, to offset the cost of the huge diesel consumption.

Comment

I do think about water consumption in my own home and try not to be wasteful with the resource. I take shorter showers than I used to and try not leave the water running if I step away from the sink. I do not think the US is in any danger of a water shortage in the foreseeable future, but we still should not waste it. The only thing I do that wastes water is to flush the toilet after each use. I refuse to conserve water that way.

Comment

I try not to waste water wherever possible - but I am on a water meter, which charges me for how much I use. Although it sounds inconvenient, it has actually been beneficial. My bills are a lot less than when I just paid a yearly charge. Having the meter has really made me think about where savings can be made.
          Last edited by missbishi; 01-20-2015, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Well, i'm using water meter as well and the problem is with hot water. It takes a while for the water to come in as hot and it makes me waste a lot of water just waiting for it to happen.

Comment

Let nature do it's work. Whenever human interference has crossed certain limits, nature has shown it's fury. But it's better to be safe than sorry. So, stop wasting water. Turn off that tap already!

Comment

I think that we need to educate our youth; they are our future. If we can instill good and healthy lifestyles in them, than we have a chance of preserving out Earth. We also need to start living more sustainable lifestyles. If our youth sees us conserving water, hopefully the good habits will rub off on them.

Comment

There are places in the African continent that hardly receive a drop of rainfall. Worse, in these places dwell indigenous tribes whose primitive way of life could not combat the scarcity surrounding them. I do think rather than donating food and water to these people, they should be empowered through education and exposure to modern technology. Doing so will help their predicament from recurring.

Comment

Water is actually being shipped overseas by bottling companies like Nestle which is water drained from the US's resources. The thing about water is that it is somewhat finite with a lot of it being used in industrial settings which makes it unsafe for recycling back into the environment for along time.

Comment

Water is never wasted, this is a false rational people have in their minds - however, it can be overused or over-consumed by humans living in a particular environment where water is not in abundance year round. Water is the second most abundant thing found on Earth after dirt, and it covers most of the earth's surface. The problem is usable water which is limited in it's supplies to the still growing human populace and other fauna, flora, and fungus that require water to exist. Most water supply isn't consumed by humans, it's either evaporated or used in industrial and agricultural processes. One of the most humanly needed technology is better osmosis processing machines that can filter water directly from the oceans and seas, that will solve water shortages easily but will also raise its pricing to customers too, which is a big reason why dams and reservoirs are still the mainstay of storing water. Water is the most important thing to existence for us carbon based organic creatures, without it we are all goners, but it's the acquiring and storing of it that will always be at odds against all who need a or some thing like water. Store up, conserve, and use only when need is the best thing any human can do to most efficiently with their water usages.

Comment

• tournique
                        tournique commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Water is indeed not wasted, but the increasing population sure makes need for more and more water until it becomes unsuficient.

Originally posted by tournique View Post
                      Well, i'm using water meter as well and the problem is with hot water. It takes a while for the water to come in as hot and it makes me waste a lot of water just waiting for it to happen.
                      When my oldest daughter was a kid, she was very concerned about this issue in particular, in regard to water conservation. She was very careful to use a jug under the faucet and save the water that she let run until it got hot. I don't know if she still does this in her own home now, but your post reminded me of it. I should start doing that. The water can be used for cooking, cleaning, whatever, or just throw it in the fridge for later drinking.

There are many ways we can conserve without feeling like we can't flush the toilet, because I agree with Rosyrain. I'm not going to that extreme. I have heard of putting a brick in the toilet tank in order to use less water per flush though. I could deal with that one.

Comment

Originally posted by primalclaws1974 View Post
                        I am assuming you are talking about America. The nice thing about living here is that there are no water shortages at all, even in the desert. Some water is moved 500 miles away, but there's plenty for all. I suppose this could change, but I don't see it happening here. Compared to Europe and Asia, North America doesn't have that many people. There are countries on the other side of the world that treat water as more precious than gold.
                        There was once a man that envisioned transporting the plentiful water in America overseas in giant tanker ships, to be sold in arid countries. I don't believe he actually began the task, because water is just not valuable enough, even to desert countries, it seems, to offset the cost of the huge diesel consumption.
                        No water shortages??? Where do you live??? There are water shortages all the time here. California being the highest in that area. Their water reserves were almost dried up just last summer and it is iffy if there will be any water in those reservoirs this year as they are expecting a harsh summer coming. Have you not noticed the price of food going up while the price of gas is going down? Not normal. The reason is that because of the water shortage, there were failed crops everywhere. Cows were dieing because they were no able to be properly feed or given enough water to drink. I should know.... I live between of the of the US's largest producers of potatoes and a cattle ranch. Believe me, we experience water shortages.....

Comment

Originally posted by kevinkimers View Post

No water shortages??? Where do you live??? There are water shortages all the time here. California being the highest in that area. Their water reserves were almost dried up just last summer and it is iffy if there will be any water in those reservoirs this year as they are expecting a harsh summer coming. Have you not noticed the price of food going up while the price of gas is going down? Not normal. The reason is that because of the water shortage, there were failed crops everywhere. Cows were dieing because they were no able to be properly feed or given enough water to drink. I should know.... I live between of the of the US's largest producers of potatoes and a cattle ranch. Believe me, we experience water shortages.....

Yeah I don't know what they are talking about either. California is in a serious drought. Sure there are a lot of water in America, but getting it to the places that is needed the most is logistically a nightmare. There is no way any government agency is going to pay for that, and if they planned too, where would they get the money? Too many variables and not enough options.

Comment

Working...
                          X