Two Common Drugs Show Promise as Ebola Therapies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Common Drugs Show Promise as Ebola Therapies

I just read an interesting article on Scientific American about a new study that found two common, already approved, drugs show promise for protecting the body from Ebola. The researches screened around 2600 different compounds for an ability to hinder Ebola's activity. Thirty of them showed promise in the lab dish. Two, an antidepressant (Zoloft) and a heart medication (Vascor), show the most promise in tests conducted on mice. Details on this research may be read here: Antidepressant and Heart Drug Show Promise for Combating Ebola
    "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

Who would have thought that medication that has been existing for years might be the key against Ebola. I wonder if there is some sort of a side effect since these drugs are originally not designed for the Ebola virus. I mean they were anti-depressants and they were not really created to kill a very fatal virus. There must be a certain ingredient from these drugs that works really well against the virus.

Comment

Is it that MIL 77 that they called it a miraculous cure,yet a simple one.?
      I heard the viral load declined sharply soon after receiving MIL 77.Also,do you have info if its similar to ZMapp working ?

Comment

I am somewhat impressed. I read this quote once and though this may sound cliche but it pretty much sums up the Ebola situation: "Nothing is to be feared. Only to be understood." In other words, this crazy fear about Ebola stems from our lack of understanding and knowledge of the nature of the virus. Scientists have to start from scratch to find a cure for it. Now that they're slowly understanding the virus, they've come to realize that the cure is just within their reach - only that they didn't know it was the cure to begin with.
        bala likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by xTinx View Post
          I am somewhat impressed. I read this quote once and though this may sound cliche but it pretty much sums up the Ebola situation: "Nothing is to be feared. Only to be understood." In other words, this crazy fear about Ebola stems from our lack of understanding and knowledge of the nature of the virus. Scientists have to start from scratch to find a cure for it. Now that they're slowly understanding the virus, they've come to realize that the cure is just within their reach - only that they didn't know it was the cure to begin with.

Wow,you pretty much put it up in a nutshell i would say.
          I re-read it twice to understand your hidden meaning on the virus.Just to clarify,is it because we are "over exaggerating" as well,because any matter that comes into earth has an antimatter as postulated by the molecular theory.
          Ebola too being a molecular variable,it should be having an anti matter,which is within the reach.

I really loved your explanation on this.Brilliant.

Comment

Working...
          X