The USA and African Union Sign Deal to Form African Disease Agency

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The USA and African Union Sign Deal to Form African Disease Agency

Voice of America reported that the United States has signed an agreement with the African Union to create a African Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The memo of cooperation has formalized collaboration between the aformentioned African agency and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). The US is sending two public health experts to serve as technical advisers. The announcement is here. National Public Radio also has details here.
    missbishi likes this.
    "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

It's reassuring to hear that the Ebola outbreak has not only been taken seriously but that a foundation for change has now been laid. Of course, this new agreement will be beneficial in the prevention and containment of many other diseases too.

It's also good to see the whole of Africa uniting together on this issue. They will be much stronger and more effective working together than they would separately.

Comment

Well I suppose that's a good thing; but I can't stress enough that there needs to be a campaign of information. We need to inform those people in African rural areas that think that Ebola is a conspiracy brought about by white men, or that having sex with babies cures AIDS, or that albinos are a rare medicine. Education is the key; these people are not dumb, they just didn't have the opportunity to learn-until now.

Comment

This is an important step actually. There are probably viruses we don't even yet know about in Africa, that are potentially just as dangerous, or more so, than Ebola,but what really is the question is,how much they are going to shell out for this..?

Comment

The United States is covering so much ground. From international economic treaties, to military drills in Asia and involvement in the war against terror, to preventing Russia from inflicting more damage on Ukraine, the US presence is practically everywhere. Obama has big shoes to fill so I'm somehow disappointed in his detractors. This move to form an African Disease Agency has increased the US' long list of responsibilities. Still, I hope that through this organization, Ebola and other deadly diseases originating in Africa will be contained before they spread around the globe.

Comment

Originally posted by xTinx View Post
            The United States is covering so much ground. From international economic treaties, to military drills in Asia and involvement in the war against terror, to preventing Russia from inflicting more damage on Ukraine, the US presence is practically everywhere. Obama has big shoes to fill so I'm somehow disappointed in his detractors. This move to form an African Disease Agency has increased the US' long list of responsibilities. Still, I hope that through this organization, Ebola and other deadly diseases originating in Africa will be contained before they spread around the globe.
            Leave alone the list of responsibilities,what are they gonna do for funds.
            Just a question,UN takes money for all this right.? Then why do they have to do all this.?

Comment

Bala, asks a good question, why is the UN not spearheading this? Oh yeah, they are busy building a new one world ... insert descriptive word here, And as we have seen very dramatically in the recent past, that UN peacekeepers are useless. The US while acting with good intentions is just responding to the criticisms of the world and this will take decades, as every other initiative to help Africa has, to even get off the ground. It then becomes a source for dictators and war lords to fund further atrocities. There has been little news of funding BY the US to do this the right way.

As to the spread, we already know what to do, and how to do it, but the PC police and business interests just won't stand for it to be done.

Comment

Working...
              X