Two Experimental Ebola Vaccines Appear Safe Says NIAID

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Experimental Ebola Vaccines Appear Safe Says NIAID

Two clinical trials conducted by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) indicate that experimental Ebola vaccines work. The new vaccines are called VSV-EBOV and NSV-ZEBOV. The former is being developed by GlaxoSmithKline and the latter by the Public Health Agency of Canada. Details on the research may be seen here.
    "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

It's good to hear that there is progress. My biggest concern with such things is how they fare long term. While it's great that it's working, I tend to be overly cautious about long term effects and efficacy. I'm not trying to be a downer, as I really do hope and pray that this is truly successful, but it's just something that always sticks in the back of my mind.

I do thank you for sharing this as it does give hope.

Comment

The efficacy is the proverbial 100 dollar question. If as safe and effective as some other vaccines and it can be produced and distributed effectively, this deadly disease may just be tamed. That is likely a long way off though.
      "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

Comment

NBC News provided more information on the VSV vaccine which appears to safely protect people against infection without causing feared side-effects such as arthritis.

The NIAID confirmed that the most common side effects were injection site pain and transient fever that subsided and resolved within 12 to 36 hours after vaccination.

The article goes on to state that of the 40 volunteers that received the vaccine, 93 percent of them developed antibodies against the Ebola virus within two weeks and everybody did within a month.

Comment

Of course they are going to "appear safe.",lest they won't get the hype that is required.
          Why would drug manufacturers allow a media outlet to release a news item with a headline that says "Two experimental Ebola vaccines appear unsafe says US agency"?
          Until it has been proven we really can't take a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by bala View Post
            Of course they are going to "appear safe.",lest they won't get the hype that is required.
            Why would drug manufacturers allow a media outlet to release a news item with a headline that says "Two experimental Ebola vaccines appear unsafe says US agency"?
            Until it has been proven we really can't take a chance.
            Although it is only a small sample size (40 people), the fact that all of those involved in the testing developed antibodies against the Ebola virus within a month is positive news and a step in the right direction.

News Medical provides more background information on the ongoing trials, reporting that eleven clinical trials have been conducted, are currently ongoing, or are planned world-wide. Eight of the trials have been Phase 1 trials and three are Phase 2 and Phase 3 trials.

The full preliminary report can be read at The New England Journal of Medicine
            Last edited by dillinger10; 04-02-2015, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dillinger10 View Post

Although it is only a small sample size (40 people), the fact that all of those involved in the testing developed antibodies against the Ebola virus within a month is positive news and a step in the right direction.

News Medical provides more background information on the ongoing trials, reporting that eleven clinical trials have been conducted, are currently ongoing, or are planned world-wide. Eight of the trials have been Phase 1 trials and three are Phase 2 and Phase 3 trials.

The full preliminary report can be read at The New England Journal of Medicine
              Good that its a step in the right direction but just casting my fear over the side effects or the long term issues concerning the vaccine.
              Immune response from various ethnic groups were all on track for finding a commercially available vaccine.
              Also,more curious on this,canada never had a case of Ebola is it.? despite the proximity..?
              I know it ain't air borne,but still..??

Comment

Originally posted by bala View Post
                Good that its a step in the right direction but just casting my fear over the side effects or the long term issues concerning the vaccine.
                Immune response from various ethnic groups were all on track for finding a commercially available vaccine.
                Also,more curious on this,canada never had a case of Ebola is it.? despite the proximity..?
                I know it ain't air borne,but still..??
                Obviously there are concerns regarding the side effects to the drug, however, we all know the outcome for those people that are diagnosed with Ebola and do not receive treatment - certain death.

As you rightly point out, there have been no cases of either viral hemorrhagic fever infections within Canadian borders.

This article by the CBC provides some background information on the Canadian lab and why it has become an Ebola research powerhouse.

Comment

Just to provide a little more on the current Ebola trials, The Atlantic reported today that a second study involving 160 people found that 100 percent showed a promising immune response and incurred no serious side effects.

The article mentions that the subjects in the studies were not exposed to the Ebola virus after vaccination, so the appraisal of effectiveness is based on primate studies.

Comment

I should be glad big pharmaceutical companies are spearheading research and development on Ebola vaccines. I hope there are no untoward side effects - a common affliction among synthetic drugs. How about natural medicine? I wonder what are its chances of curing Ebola.

Comment

Originally posted by dillinger10 View Post

Obviously there are concerns regarding the side effects to the drug, however, we all know the outcome for those people that are diagnosed with Ebola and do not receive treatment - certain death.

As you rightly point out, there have been no cases of either viral hemorrhagic fever infections within Canadian borders.

This article by the CBC provides some background information on the Canadian lab and why it has become an Ebola research powerhouse.

I did give it a read and now its all clear and coherent.
                      Thanks to you.

Also i meant that
                      if ever u are on certain death bed and had to take a chance with this vaccine,you/I surely would right.That instance comes in a separate one.I was just putting up a general briefing.

Comment

Working...
                      X