UK Ebola nurse discharged!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Ebola nurse discharged!

UK Ebola nurse, Pauline Cafferkey, was discharged from hospital today, having made a full recovery. She is not infectious and whilst she's not feeling 100% just yet, she's looking forward to going back to work. I'm sure you'll agree that this is great news and gives the rest of the world a little more hope. As usual, here's a link if you'd like to read the full story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30967337

This is really great news especially as things looked bleak when it was announced that she was in a critical condition. I had not heard any news updates in a fe days and so was beginning to get concerned again althgh I guess the old adage that no news is good news applied here.
    missbishi likes this.

Comment

That's wonderful. It looks like some progress is being made in finding effective treatments for this disease. I hope they are able to take what they learned here and use it to save more lives in Africa.
      missbishi likes this.

Comment

It's great news because it does show that there are treatments that actually work with this. Whether they can make them scalable in a way that can eliminate the spread in West Africa will remain to be seen.

Comment

In an interview with The Independent Ms. Cafferkey gave a brief glimpse into life in the isolation tent:
          Although she was treated in an isolation tent, she was able to speak to family members through a window via an intercom system. She was also provided with iPad by the Royal Free Charity.
          "As I was beginning to recover, I listened to lots of music when I was in the HLIU and that was a massive help,” she said. “I also had lots of Irn-Bru to help me through!”
          It sounds like she was incredibly well taken care of. London’s Royal Free Hospital should be very proud.

Comment

There was some more good news today regarding Pauline Cafferkey as the BBC reports that she is free to continue working without restriction following her full recovery from the disease. I really hope that somehow she can get back to her normal life after having to live through such a terrible ordeal.

Comment

So the treatment she underwent was effective. That took a lot of time but her recovery is nothing short of a miracle. Perhaps clinics, medical centers and hospitals can replicate the treatment she received to prevent other victims from succumbing to the deadly virus. They could incorporate it with other successful treatments.

Comment

While ebola is very deadly in undeveloped countries, the healthcare given in "developed" countries such as the U.S. is much better. There is a much higher chance of surviving if you catch ebola in the U.S. than in a country in africa.

Comment

Working...
                X