Ebola in the UK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebola in the UK

So the UK has another case of Ebola, in an aid worker who has recently returned from Sierra Leone. Despite raising her concerns that she felt ill whilst being screened, the lady concerned was allowed to re-enter the country and is currently in an isolation unit in Scotland.

It transpires she had flown from Sierra Leone to Casablanca, Morocco. Fromt here she flew to London and finally took a connecting flight to Scotland. Whilst the lady in question has my every sympathy and my wishes for a speedy recovery, I cannot help but wonder why she passed the screening. She advised officials that she felt feverish but was still allowed to proceed on her journey.

Do you think the screening process is thorough enough?

All 182 UK-based passengers and crew members that shared the same two flights as Pauline Cafferkey have been tracked down and received health advice and reassurance. The remaining 31 international passengers on the flight were being traced by international public health authorities.

Mrs. Cafferkey is being treated with an unnamed experimental anti-viral drug and blood from a survivor of the virus, her doctor has said

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-30662825
    missbishi likes this.

Comment

I don't even know exactly what is involved in a screening process for ebola at airports. How do they proceed? Does qualified medical staff take blood or saliva samples, or how does it work? Are passengers merely asked questions about their travel itinerary and whether they are experiencing certain symptoms? Could someone enlighten me on this, please?
      missbishi likes this.

Comment

Yes, that's basically it. Their temperature is taken and they are asked questions about whether they have been feeling ill or if they have had any contact with any confirmed cases. No samples are taken. Sadly, it seems the lady in question has taken a turn for the worse and is now in a critical condition.

Comment

Originally posted by missbishi View Post
          Yes, that's basically it. Their temperature is taken and they are asked questions about whether they have been feeling ill or if they have had any contact with any confirmed cases. No samples are taken. Sadly, it seems the lady in question has taken a turn for the worse and is now in a critical condition.
          Yes, I just saw this on the news tonight. BBC News reported that the nurse's condition has gradually deteriorated over the last two days.
          missbishi likes this.

Comment

As yet, there is no update on the woman's condition. Our Prime Minister, David Cameron, has been quoted today as saying that the screening procedures we have in place are thorough enough, but indicated that he would be willing to be more stringent should the country's medical experts advise this.

Comment

I know there is probably nothing more that they can do, but relying on a persons temperature is pretty fool hardy. Not everyone's normal temperature is 98.6 degrees. My children and I's normal temperature is 96.7 so even if we had a fever our temperature would likely be lower than the warning threshold for Ebola. I know that they can't just quarantine everyone, but it seems like there should be a better way.

Comment

Does anyone know how many people this now makes that have contracted ebola in the United Kingdom? I hadn't heard anything about it spreading to over there yet, so I'm curious how many cases there currently are.
                Yeah, it's strange that they don't do a better job in airports checking for people to make sure that they do not have it. I know that my college is going to high measures with anyone traveling outside of the country, even to Canada, to make sure they don't bring ebola back with them to campus or to the USA.

Comment

It appears that the lady actually self reported that she did not feel well and the screening process allowed her through anyway. This seems to be a failure of the process and/or the employees in question, as in my opinion it would be a much safer option to temporarily isolate her to see if her symptoms passed instead of passing her through and putting more people at risk. Of course in America when they did isolate the one nurse who had minor symptoms, she raised a huge fuss and is now threatening to sue.

I am not in favor of being overly restrictive, or encouraging inappropriate amounts of fear, but reasonable precautions would drastically lower the risk of someone bringing infection into a country and accidentally passing it on.

Comment

HELLOnamesdana So far, there have only been two cases in the UK. The first patient, William Pooley, has donated plasma in a bid to help the current lady. I can understand why your college is taking this seriously though, with the high number of people who must pass through the grounds every day.

jartist Yes, we need to find a balance between common sense and outright scaremongering. Temporary quarantine is a sensible idea. I am surprised that a nurse, of all people, has threatened to sue over this. As a healthcare professional, she should surely have understood the importance of this.

Comment

There isn't much more they can do regarding the screening process. The simple fact is, people with diseases are going to slip through the check-ups no matter what. Ebola isn't much of an issue for the developed countries though. This disease has done so much damage in Western Africa due to their really poor medical facilities, poor training for the doctors, mistrust of doctors from the population and also some really poor practices that are helping spread the disease, like the relatives of the deceased washing the dead body with their hands, which puts them in direct contact with a source of infection.

Comment

It's so far away from being an issue I just think the media is enjoying blowing it out of more proportion. More people are passing through the borders on a daily basis with genuinely worrying transmittable diseases that are never talked about. Ebola is the disease of the day, but I think there needs to be a lot more perspective put in place.

Comment

I am wondering if this lady has survived or passed away? Although many have passed away, there are many who have survived Ebola, especially if they have opportunity to receive good medical treatment. I do think the media tends to exaggerate almost everything, especially bad news. it is a pity that the public are not kept up to date regarding these cases.

Comment

Working...
                          X