What You All Need to Know About Zika

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What You All Need to Know About Zika

Sure we've read about the Zika virus for some time now, but it wasn't until recently that the World Health Organization has declared it an "international emergency" and urged governments to practice utmost vigilance, act immediately and cooperate in providing a solution.

For frequent travellers, especially those planning to visit Latin America, here are some facts you need to know about Zika (please click the following link):

Very interesting and informative article on one of the recent health horrors, the Zika virus. It's easy enough to avoid, but hard to treat properly, and its effects on infants is truly bad. Thank you for sharing this article.

Comment

You actually have to go to this link http://www.cdc.gov/zika/index.html
      Took me a little bit to find it.
      CDC is a great resource.
      Here is a great article about it from a news source you will not get from the mainstream media
      http://www.brocku.ca/brock-news/2016...n-spread-zika/ (Canadian Centric)

I am actually impressed that time and time again these new threats pop up and the world health community does a FANTASTIC job of staying on top of it.
      Ebola could have been quite bad, but we came together to quickly deal with it.
      If only we could come together to deal with some of the other things going on in the world.
      gracer and xTinx like this.

Comment

• xTinx
        xTinx commented
        Editing a comment
        My bad. The system here projected the home page instead of that page you mentioned above. Thanks for the correction.

Here is a great article about Zika Virus as well. Thank you for posting that link though, it's quite informative too! I think we need to post more articles about the Zika virus just because it is really a threat now. I think it's very important to know that mosquitoes breed in stagnant water. So in order to limit their breeding areas, we must keep our surroundings clean and free from stagnant water. As much as possible, use mosquito repellant lotions or patches as well to protect yourself from mosquito bites.

Maybe with more information about mosquitoes in general, we can help save some lives. I'm especially concerned about the pregnant mothers who become infected with the virus. Microcephaly is a terrible disease and it pains me to see babies suffer from it.
      Travelers with mosquito-borne Zika virus in the United States raise alarms about this disease linked to the birth defect microcephaly.

Comment

Scary indeed. Its a shame that innocent babies have to be born with this disease. The problem is that the mosquitoes that are born in stagnant water thrive in third world countries where they can't do much about the cleanliness of their area. Local authorities should make an effort to make sure that residents have an adequate supply of clean water and insect repellents and things such as mosquito nets around their beds. Luckily, the Zika Virus IS something we can do something about and at least avoid. Prevention is better than cure, so let's try prevent it before it becomes even more serious than it already is. Thanks for the informative and thought-provoking posts.

Comment

Here's an update: an American woman was tested positive for Zika virus while she was in the Philippines. This is the first case of Zika in my country. Good news is that she is not pregnant, so one thing is off the list. The DOH assured us that the number of babies with microcephaly is not increasing as of this moment. Although there are cases of microcephaly here, they're mostly because the babies are small for gestational age and not because of Zika. Here's a great photo made by CNN Philippines:

The non-pregnant US citizen has been in the Philippines for the past four weeks. Amid the news, Health secretary Janette Garin assures the public that there is no epidemic of the Zika virus in the Philippines. Garin asks Filipinos to exercise maximum effort to prevent mosquito bites, through sanitizing their surroundings.
          xTinx likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Briannagodess View Post
            Here's an update: an American woman was tested positive for Zika virus while she was in the Philippines. This is the first case of Zika in my country. Good news is that she is not pregnant, so one thing is off the list. The DOH assured us that the number of babies with microcephaly is not increasing as of this moment. Although there are cases of microcephaly here, they're mostly because the babies are small for gestational age and not because of Zika. Here's a great photo made by CNN Philippines:

Something doesn't add up and it's baffling me. Apparently, a few years ago in Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu, there was a child diagnosed with Zika. At that time, there was no Zika outbreak the world over. This got me into thinking that Zika is already here in the Philippines. We already have dengue so there's a great likelihood that some of those dengue carriers evolved into Zika carriers, which makes a lot of sense because there are a lot of Aedes mosquitoes across the country.

Comment

Just to pour a little fuel on to the fire here, and even though I don't believe in a lot of conspiracy theorists rants, there's quite a few people that aren't entirely convinced that this Zika outbreak isn't just a ploy by the government and media to get peoples attentions away from.other things that are happening in the world.

In the last few years there's been a number of so called deadly outbreaks that have received mass coverage across all the media and have almost got people into a state of panic but in the end they've come to nothing. I'm not saying that this is the case this time, but it wouldn't surprise me if when this outbreak blows over, we find out that other things have happened or been pushed through into legislation without us even noticing because we've been too busy concentrating on not getting some so called deadly disease.

Thoughts please on this. Is the Zika outbreak genuine, or is it just a mask to cover other things that may be happening behind our backs?

Comment

Originally posted by xTinx View Post
                Something doesn't add up and it's baffling me. Apparently, a few years ago in Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu, there was a child diagnosed with Zika. At that time, there was no Zika outbreak the world over. This got me into thinking that Zika is already here in the Philippines. We already have dengue so there's a great likelihood that some of those dengue carriers evolved into Zika carriers, which makes a lot of sense because there are a lot of Aedes mosquitoes across the country.
                Oh, I haven't heard of that news article. I tried searching for it online but nothing came up. How long ago was this? I sure hope that it is not Zika virus though. But you're entirely right, we do have the Aedes mosquitoes here that can transmit the disease from person to person. And it is not just Zika that that mosquito carries, there's dengue and even yellow fever. I sure hope we can find that article so we have some reference though. I just want to know what symptoms did the child exhibit and what treatments they gave him.

Comment

Oh, I haven't heard of that news article. I tried searching for it online but nothing came up. How long ago was this? I sure hope that it is not Zika virus though. But you're entirely right, we do have the Aedes mosquitoes here that can transmit the disease from person to person. And it is not just Zika that that mosquito carries, there's dengue and even yellow fever. I sure hope we can find that article so we have some reference though. I just want to know what symptoms did the child exhibit and what treatments they gave him.
                  It was reported by the local radio, I believe. Unfortunately, the news has not reached the National Capital Region so that's why hardly anyone, except those living in the city I mentioned, knows about it. The child exhibited the same symptoms as dengue but upon diagnosis, the doctors said it was Zika. The child's okay thus far. According to the report, the case was still mild when he was diagnosed so I presume the treatment applied was more or less the same treatment used for dengue patients.
                  Last edited by xTinx; 03-12-2016, 02:11 AM.

Comment

For those that may have not read of it yet, Zika has been linked to developing Guillain-Barré. Live Science has details in this article: Zika Virus Linked to Guillain-Barré in New Study
                    "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

Comment

xTinx Thank goodness that the child is okay now. I wonder though if Zika is already present in our country simply because we have lots of Aedes mosquitoes here. I mean, is it possible that such disease-carrying mosquitoes infected with Zika travelled from the affected countries to ours? Because that's the only way that the virus can be transmitted.

ASurvivor Wow, that's another angle to look at. Apparently, 88% of the people who had GBS during 2013 to 2014 (during the Zika outbreak) had symptoms of Zika virus. It was only an average of six days before the GBS symptoms started after the symptoms of Zika virus presented. I hope more studies can determine the link between GBS and Zika. As of now, it isn't that conclusive yet. Still, let's hope all these issues be resolved for the sake of the unborn babies that are affected and those who possible have GBS because of Zika.

Comment

ASurvivor Wow, that's another angle to look at. Apparently, 88% of the people who had GBS during 2013 to 2014 (during the Zika outbreak) had symptoms of Zika virus. It was only an average of six days before the GBS symptoms started after the symptoms of Zika virus presented. I hope more studies can determine the link between GBS and Zika. As of now, it isn't that conclusive yet. Still, let's hope all these issues be resolved for the sake of the unborn babies that are affected and those who possible have GBS because of Zika.
                        I am glad the information was helpful. The link with GBS is very troubling as that is a debilitating and mysterious disease. As of now, it is another good reason to take precautions against transmission.
                        Briannagodess likes this.
                        "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

Comment

Working...
                        X