Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swine flu sweeping through the Ukraine, 83 deaths thus far.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swine flu sweeping through the Ukraine, 83 deaths thus far.

The H1N1 virus, commonly known as the swine flu, is at epidemic proportions in Ukraine. Schools are closed, and people are cautioned to wear protective face masks when they are in public.
    Although most deaths from this virus come from people who already have health complications, or age issues, other people are also dying from the flu, and so far over 83 people have been declared as having died due to the virus.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20..._135047901.htm

Ukraine is so near China where the swine flu virus originated so it's not a surprise for the said virus to migrate there. This is a double whammy for the country, whose military conflict with Russia is still far from over.

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed View Post
      The H1N1 virus, commonly known as the swine flu, is at epidemic proportions in Ukraine. Schools are closed, and people are cautioned to wear protective face masks when they are in public.
      Oh my! Proving, I guess, that I'm totally not caught up on current events. I hadn't heard a thing about this. I do know that I got complacent when it was around here before, and thought there's no way it would reach the level it eventually reached. I kept thinking it would go away until my local hospitals in towns where I spend a lot of time started putting out the stats of how many H1N1 cases they were treating. It was shocking.

It was unnerving seeing people at places like the grocery story wearing masks. I do still remember the common-sense steps to take though... wear the mask if necessary, but that alone won't prevent exposure... wash hands, and preferably with sanitizer often... and the thing that was hardest for me to remember back then (and in the future if there's a recurrence) is to not touch your mouth, nose, etc. I think we don't realize how often we actually *do* those things without thinking!

Comment

Gosh, I remember the film I watched a few weeks ago which is about the H1N1 virus coincidentally. This is truly terrible news and the mere fact that the vulnerable are affected and killed by the virus, it makes me shudder. I hope more people vaccinate against the virus since it can help in avoiding it.

And also, don't underestimate the power of washing your hands. Truth be told, it's one effective way of avoiding diseases. Cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze as well to avoid contaminating other people. If you can, stay away from crowded places, especially if your country is one of those affected by the virus.

These are the things we can do just until this epidemic is gone. It may be difficult to do all these but if it can help us avoid the virus, why not?

Comment

This is a tragic outbreak. When I hear of things like this in other countries, I hold my breathe and wait for the news yo report that people traveling from this country back into the US will or have brought the virus with them. It seems sad that in our day in age and with technology and research, that we don't have a way to stop or prevent these diseases yet.

Comment

If a person is healthy, and has a good immune system, and does not eat a lot of sugary foods, then you are not likely to catch the flu at all, or to only get a light touch of it if you do. Most virus will live on the sugar in your bloodstream, or in your digestive system (stomach flu); so the less sweet foods you eat, the easier it is to starve them out before they can spread in your body.
            I also take Lugol's iodine each night for the thyroid benefits, and iodine also will kill any kind of bacteria, virus, or yeast infection. You can't take just any kind of iodine internally, but the Lugol's iodine is designed for that, and it only takes a few drops each day to help keep you protected.

Comment

Working...
            X