X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matheka
    started a topic Cholera outbreak in South Sudan kills 18 people

Cholera outbreak in South Sudan kills 18 people

Cholera has killed at least 18 people in Juba, capital of South Sudan, in the last three weeks. The current outbreak has affected some 171 people according to the health ministry said. Last year, 167 people died in South Sudan in a cholera outbreak. The cholera outbreak is likely to continue as the rains seasons begins this month.

Read more at http://www.trust.org/item/2015062313...0three%20weeks

• SashaS
    replied
    Unfortunately, as xTinx said, it's not as if the people are being foolish and getting cholera. They are simply trying to access basic needs such as food and water and those two things are only available in dirty, untreated and unhygienic forms. Sudan is just like most African countries, war, famine and poverty stricken due to an illiterate and sometimes primitive population. Education is what they need. But it's not as if the UN isn't doing anything about it, I always see them helping out in these problem ridden African countries and that's good to see, but you can not fill a hole that's forever becoming deeper.

Leave a comment:

• xTinx
    replied
    I am not surprised this is happening in Sudan - one of the world's poorest countries. It's been wracked by violence since God knows when and the poor government is currently on the brink of collapse. There's foreign aid but when you have dead bodies and starving people left and right in places with little to zero food and water, cholera is bound to break out. I hope the UN and other non-governmental orgs can do something about Sudan's situation.

Leave a comment:

• DancingLady
    replied
    Cholera is a water born disease caused by contamination. From my understanding it is fairly easy to prevent infection by boiling all water before it is consumed. I hope that the people are being educated about this because pack of knowledge may be the reason for so many infections. The other reason could be lack of fuel to boil the water if people are in extreme poverty.

Leave a comment:

• Briannagodess
    replied
    Cholera is an infectious disease involving watery diarrhea which can lead to dehydration or even death if left untreated. It usually happens when a food or water is contaminated with the vibrio cholerae bacterium. So these people infected probably drank contaminated water or ate contaminated food. The government should ensure that there is proper regulations in purifying drinking water in the country.

It is important that people infected rehydrate by drinking lots of clean and sanitized water. Foods should be free of bacteria and washed thoroughly. Proper sanitation is the key to preventing an outbreak like this.

Leave a comment:

• Yosh
    replied
    Originally posted by Billy View Post
    South Sudan is a very new country and I hope that it's government is competent enough to handle this outbreak. If my memory serves me right, there is already a cure for cholera. This is a country that just gained independence so I hope they will get some help from United Nations. I really hope they will be able to solve this problem. I wish the government will be able to solve this crisis before more lives will be taken away by cholera.

If they're not able to themselves, I'm sure the UN will try to help them in some way or another and hopefully get them the medical help they need. There shouldn't be any issues with that, correct?

Leave a comment:

• Billy
    replied
    South Sudan is a very new country and I hope that it's government is competent enough to handle this outbreak. If my memory serves me right, there is already a cure for cholera. This is a country that just gained independence so I hope they will get some help from United Nations. I really hope they will be able to solve this problem. I wish the government will be able to solve this crisis before more lives will be taken away by cholera.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X