Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black death

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/06/2...y-teens-death/

June, 8 2015 Teenager Taylor Gaes died. It was later discovered that he died from the plague. He most likely got it from a bite from an infected flea or he had contact with an infected cat or rat.

There are, on average, 7 deaths per year due to the plague. They list the symptoms. But a lot of people aren't aware of the symptoms, they don't know it still exists, or they can't afford to get sick. My husband owes almost $1000 dollars for the ER dressing an extremely deep cut on his finger. They didnt even give him stitches. Or an antibiotic. I know we aren't the only ones who can't afford an ER bill.

If this disease progresses and spreads, how many people do you suppose will die? And out of the number, how many people do you suppose will be unable to afford the medical services it would take to save their life?

This is the same plague that almost wiped out Europe hundreds of years ago right? I can't believe this is film exists in modern times. Is the cure for this plague already discovered? This is an epidemic that you can't underestimate because it killed a huge population on Europe. I remember watching the documentaries about it. It is a very scary disease that came from rats. It is very scary knowing in this modern age this disease can still kill people.
    UnslaadKrosis likes this.

Comment

What's even scarier, is it can be transmitted by flea bites! I'm sure there's a cure now, but only if its diagnosed in time. The diagnosis for the teenager took close to a week,didnt it?

Comment

Originally posted by LilAnn View Post
        What's even scarier, is it can be transmitted by flea bites! I'm sure there's a cure now, but only if its diagnosed in time. The diagnosis for the teenager took close to a week,didnt it?
        I think its about time to hunt those rats and burn them before they start spreadng disease. No one wanted an outbreak of this scary disease so I hope the government will make steps to stop this as early as possible. They need to quarantine people who have simptoms. We cannot underestimate this plague as it killed millions of people and it almost wiped out the population of Europe.
        LilAnn likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy View Post

I think its about time to hunt those rats and burn them before they start spreadng disease. No one wanted an outbreak of this scary disease so I hope the government will make steps to stop this as early as possible. They need to quarantine people who have simptoms. We cannot underestimate this plague as it killed millions of people and it almost wiped out the population of Europe.
          Do you have any pets? The fleas are so horrible that I have to give my puppy a bath daily. Drop solutions, dips, flea collar, and 50 other remedies all failed. They are so much worse than I've ever seen! Every time I see one I think about the plague. Lol

Seriously, tho, I remember a documentary from a long time ago. They described the symptoms. And it scares the hell out of me.

After the Ebola scare, I'm not feeling as confident as I should in our governments ability to nip this in the bud.

Comment

What do you mean black death? Is that the dreaded black plague? If fleas are the spreading machines of the virus then that would be difficult to control since fleas are so tiny to be seen and so fast in its jumping. Those incidents should be reported and I'm sure the department of health has some measures for that, at least to control the spread of the disease.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandoy View Post
              What do you mean black death? Is that the dreaded black plague? If fleas are the spreading machines of the virus then that would be difficult to control since fleas are so tiny to be seen and so fast in its jumping. Those incidents should be reported and I'm sure the department of health has some measures for that, at least to control the spread of the disease.
              Yes it is the name black death that almost killed the whole population of Europe. It is the same Black death that is the dark origin of the nursery rhyme "Ring around the Rosie" I don't know if there is now a cure for this disease but knowing it can decimate a population, It is still a scary diseases even with all the technologies we have today. The body count of the victims of Bubonic plague is overwhelming. It has a body count of 200 million people.
              BranTheScooterMan likes this.

Comment

Here's some information on the cure. If I read it correctly a cure does exist. They just don't bother with keeping some in the United States. If you read this I'm sure it'll make you feel better about the whole situation. (Sarcasm)

Comment

http://plague.emedtv.com/m/bubonic-p...ic-plague.html

Comment

As I've read in LilAnn's first link, Bubonic plaque can be treated successfully if it is promptly diagnosed. The septicemic plaque that killed Taylor Gaes is a highly fatal form of the disease because the bacteria enters the bloodstream and spreads fast throughout the body. There are no localized symptoms to determine if you have a septicemic plaque so the advice is to seek immediate medical help once you know you have been exposed to carrier animals or flea bites. Bubonic plaque which is the most common has symptoms such as: swollen lymph nodes, sudden onset of fever or chills, severe headache, extreme exhaustion, and a general feeling of illness. These symptoms appear 2-6 days after contact with infected animals or fleas.

I guess the most we can do when it comes to this is to be very vigilant and wary especially when it comes to our pets. We should make sure that they don't roam around and prevent fleas as much as possible. If we have been exposed, we should see our doctor right away.

Comment

Rats were probably not the direct culprit. Fleas bit the rats and bit the humans supposedly. A few months back there was news that scientist thought that gerbils were actually more to blame. http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...ls-implicated/

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandoy View Post

Yep, it's the same plague. The epidemic ended years ago, but it's not like the bacteria disappeared from the face of the earth. A lot of plague cases are reported each and every year in various parts of the world even in this day and age of extreme advances in medicine. But fortunately, the cure for this once-devastating disease has already been in the market and available to the public for quite some time now. The unfortunate deaths from the disease are restricted to a very minority of population who simply can't afford the treatment/ignored the disease too much until it reached its fatal form.

Comment

The Bubonic plague has remained in Europe for centuries now. It lays low only to resurface again intermittently. Despite its periodic resurgence, medical researchers have discovered that it is not altogether incurable. Here are ways to know whether you've got the plague and how you can mitigate its effects on your system: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbo...nic-septicemic.

For more information about plagues, you can visit this link from CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/plague/.

Comment

I didn't know this thing still existed, its amazing how the disease has somehow survived so many hundreds of years. At least the annual death toll makes it a little less worrying. I guess the populous that are prone to getting the disease are the same people who cannot diagnose it or afford to cure it if they do find out what it is. Since hardly anyone knows this disease exists as a result of the amount of people affected by it, it is hardly ever spoken of. I think that schools should at least have one lesson every year just to let children know that the plague still exists, even if the cases are isolated.

Who knows, one day it may break out in some third world country and become a serious issue again. Not everyone can have a warm shower every night and there are still people out there living in similar conditions to what people lived like in the time where the plague thrived. As long as there is some sort of easily accessible treatment and the plague does not get out of hand, which I doubt will change, then it shouldn't be too much to worry about.

Comment

It does indeed continue to exist. It is, largely, found in the developing world in out of the way places. We've had a few cases here in the States as recent as 2014. Fortunately, with proper care, it is curable.
                              "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

Comment

Working...
                              X