Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In a way Chernobyl have some benefit to mother nature.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In a way Chernobyl have some benefit to mother nature.

Chernobyl is one of the biggest Nuclear disaster in history and we know it caused many lives and people were forced to abandon their homes because living on that place would be a suicide. I watched a documentary about Chernobyl and I am amazed how this place that became inhabitable to humans transformed into paradise to animals and plants. This place use to be concrete city but it is now covered by lush green trees. Some animals that were considered rare or endangered had increased in numbers because there are no more humans to destroy their habitat or hunt them. A huge tragedy happened on this place but on the positive side we can see how powerful is mother nature. The nature is already reclaiming this place. The abandoned house became shelters to wild and stray animals. Trees keep on growing because there wont be humans there to cut them down. The animals there are thriving with food sources because fruit bearing trees are plenty.

The radioactivity left is not good for the environment. Animals in the area are forming tumors and defects. Nature in general is starting to evolve and adapt to the radioactivity. That is not a benefit. That is human modification in the natural order of things. Which is a perversion, not a benefit.

Comment

• Billy
      Billy commented
      Editing a comment
      In a way it is a benefit because some animals actually enjoy their full lifespan because humans won't kill them for meat nor fur. Humans wont eat the fruits and vegetables around because they were radioactive and that gives more food to herbivore and omnivorous animals. Many birds have a place to live because no one cuts down the trees. Many animals seemed to gain some immunity from the radio activity so they were actually thriving.

So what you mean to say is that the disaster has brought about a new haven for nature? We have a nuclear plant here built by Westinghouse in the northern part of the Philippines, the province of Bataan. But due to the active opposition that time - circa 1970 - the plant was shelved and had been mothballed until now. It's a waste of money, yes, but the townspeople there are thankful for that aborted operation.

Comment

• Billy
      Billy commented
      Editing a comment
      The place became an animal sanctuary. The population of birds, deers and wolves multiplied because humans wont hunt them for meat and humans wont destroy their new found habitats. As long as the place is poisonous, these animals will have a home. There are animals that used to be close to extinction but the Chernobyl incident saved them because without humans they thrived.

Mother nature tries to balance this world. I did not know that Chernobyl recovered from the the Nuclear Disaster. As for what I know, any place where nuclear outburst will become a deserted place forever. I am so glad that Chernobyl recovered and as you have stated, animals and trees are now growing. This is a good news for there would be a good new environment for the said animals and new species.

Comment

• Billy
      Billy commented
      Editing a comment
      It is still dangerous and toxic for humans but to animals and plants it is a different story because their population increased because their ultimate predators which are humans are gone. It is still a wasteland but it became a paradise for plants and animals. The place being dangerous to humans turned then place into forest.

I don't believe there's such a conscious entity as Mother Nature, so I can't really see it as a benefit or a perversion. Living things either adapt or die out, that's evolution. From that point of view it's not good or bad as one thing in this world isn't more natural than any other, they just sustain different things.

From an ethical standpoint however it caused a lot of unnecessary pain to living creatures which in my opinion is bad. We don't need to have nuclear meltdowns to let things grow as they will. It's actually something we should be doing for our own sake.

Comment

• Billy
      Billy commented
      Editing a comment
      Mother nature is not an entity like a god or something. It is a figure of speech used to describe nature and earth it self. If you read history books, they use female pronouns to describe countries because countries are seen as mother land. I don't know why are you taking that term literally. Earth is called mother nature because it is our home, just like how our country is our home. There is nothing religious about it.

• Ilarson
      Ilarson commented
      Editing a comment
      It really depends on who you ask. I've seen it used as in a spiritual sense to describe some sort of soul of the earth by new age types. I realize it's also a common figure of speech. The way it was used here just sounded a bit spiritual to me, especially since it felt like it was being used to romanticize a tragic disaster as a way for nature to return a natural order of things.

It's kind of nice to see that there is nature in a place like Chernobyl, because as you've said the Mother Nature took advantage of the negative situation and made Chernobyl a "safe" place for animals and plants... But as another user mentioned the radiation left it could be very dangerous for them, causing them tumors and genetic issues so it's not all done by Mother Nature... But that situation is relatively good, but clearly not the best.

Comment

Originally posted by anorexorcist View Post
      It's kind of nice to see that there is nature in a place like Chernobyl, because as you've said the Mother Nature took advantage of the negative situation and made Chernobyl a "safe" place for animals and plants... But as another user mentioned the radiation left it could be very dangerous for them, causing them tumors and genetic issues so it's not all done by Mother Nature... But that situation is relatively good, but clearly not the best.
      Its been nearly 3 decades since the disaster happened and i have often known/heard that radio active materials don't have the life beyond 3 decades.
      I don't exactly know but yes nuclear fuels like caesium-137, strontium-90 and iodine-131 don't go beyond 3 decades.
      If the ground level is cleansed off these still remaining fuels,it may even become a place where people can live.

Comment

I can see that if you keep humans and their ideas of "progress" out of certain areas in this world, nature will take over and you will soon find an untouched paradise. But I think that, in the case of Chernobyl, animals might live undisturbed, yet, at the same it's a real possibility that they are suffering from major pain due to unnatural growths or cancerous formations in their bodies.However, I believe that, whether life is good or bad, in the end it's all life. I hope that these animals can have an agony-free existence as much as possible.

Comment

Working...
        X