Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MERS spreading into South Korea and China now.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MERS spreading into South Korea and China now.

    A South Korean man who traveled home through Hong Kong has spread the MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome) to at least 10 contacts in Korea, and also apparently affected a victim in Hong Kong. At this time they do not have any other confirmed victims of the virus , which has no vaccine or cure, however, the victim from China has traveled in the area on public vehicles, and the authorities are saying that there is a very good chance that more people will also become sick from the virus.

    http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0OE0SK20150529

  • #2
    The latest news is that a total of 77 people came into contact with the man in China - 64 of those have already been quarantined but authorities are still searching for 13 others, including 11 people that traveled on the same bus. It appears that there are no passenger record of those on board the bus and so this is complicating the search.

    This AFP report suggests that the man ignored the doctors advice to stay home and instead traveled anyway putting others at risk. Lets hope that they can find those 13 people still missing, not having passenger records presents some challenges and the fact that they could potentially be infected while also coming into contact with others is concerning.
    Last edited by dillinger10; 06-01-2015, 08:37 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      This epidemic is getting larger, and it is happening really fast ! The lastest info is that, two have died, another 25 hospitalized, and over 700 are being quarantined at this time.
      They are saying that many of the quarantined people are hospital staff; so there is a good chance that even more people might have come into contact with someone who was infected.
      This is looking like it may turn into an major epidemic in Korea at the rate that it is spreading. Dillinger10 posted his report just this morning; so in a few hours, it has really spread a whole lot !

      http://rt.com/news/263865-south-korea-mers-isolated/
      Last edited by Tumbleweed; 06-01-2015, 05:41 PM.
      dillinger10 likes this.

      Comment


      • #4
        Wow, that escalated quickly. In less than 24 hours the number of people quarantined rose from 10 to more than 700 though given that both South Korea and China are so densely populated areas this should probably not be a surprise. I just read this article which provides some alarming numbers, including the fact that of the 1,139 laboratory-confirmed cases of MERS globally, 37 percent (431 people) have died. This makes this a potentially lethal epidemic, especially with no curable vaccine currently available.

        Comment


        • #5
          Is this a new item, I mean MERS COV of last year or a different MERS? Anyway, whatever it is, the crux is the spread since contamination cannot be avoided in this crowded world. Pardon my ignorance, but if this disease can spread via skin contact or worse via airborne particulates like elements secreted by a cough then it is easy to predict an epidemic.

          What's scary with those diseases is the no-cure characteristic. Once people hear that term, panic sets in. That's what scared the world with Ebola, the no-cure factor. As a consolation, that MERS is already identified and proper action is being implemented to arrest the spread.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Alexandoy View Post
            Is this a new item, I mean MERS COV of last year or a different MERS? Anyway, whatever it is, the crux is the spread since contamination cannot be avoided in this crowded world. Pardon my ignorance, but if this disease can spread via skin contact or worse via airborne particulates like elements secreted by a cough then it is easy to predict an epidemic.

            What's scary with those diseases is the no-cure characteristic. Once people hear that term, panic sets in. That's what scared the world with Ebola, the no-cure factor. As a consolation, that MERS is already identified and proper action is being implemented to arrest the spread.
            It is the same MERS CoV respiratory virus from last year that has now infected a total of 1,154 and led to the deaths of 431. The World Health Order provides more background information on the patient and advice to healthcare workers and the general public.

            From what I have read, the virus is most often spread between people who are in close contact and transmitted through respiratory secretions.

            Comment


            • #7
              People who break quarantines should be punished,not just a punishment,but something that is deadly.You can call me crazy but this surmoutns to murder right ?
              what else could you call that but attempted murder.What if someone sent their child, sick with this disease, to one of your child's school or something.
              The guy that evaded from quarantine,should be dealt with severely,death too is an option.I am pretty much enraged over this fellow.

              Comment


              • #8
                I have been reading about iodine deficiency, especially in the United States where it has been an almost unknown epidemic for years now. In my pursuit of knowledge of this subject, I was reading that iodine will kill just about any known bacteria, parasite, and virus known to man. Iodine is cheap and easy to come by. The main one is called Lugol's Soloution, which is a 2%-5% soloution, and you just take a few drops each day in water, juice, or even coffee.
                It will detox your body, as well as kill any viruses that you have. For years, iodine was used for a lot of medical treatment, and then pharma began making patented drugs for everything, which they can make a lot of money by selling. Here is an article about the early use of iodine as a treatment for contagious diseases.

                bala, Most of the people who accidentally started this epidemic have already died; so they are beyond punishment for anything they caused. Since they were not deliberately making anyone sick, and probably had no idea what was wrong with them; it seems to me that your attitude is just a little harsh.

                http://www.thyroidscience.com/review...ne.9.19.09.pdf

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tumbleweed View Post
                  I have been reading about iodine deficiency, especially in the United States where it has been an almost unknown epidemic for years now. In my pursuit of knowledge of this subject, I was reading that iodine will kill just about any known bacteria, parasite, and virus known to man. Iodine is cheap and easy to come by. The main one is called Lugol's Soloution, which is a 2%-5% soloution, and you just take a few drops each day in water, juice, or even coffee.
                  It will detox your body, as well as kill any viruses that you have. For years, iodine was used for a lot of medical treatment, and then pharma began making patented drugs for everything, which they can make a lot of money by selling. Here is an article about the early use of iodine as a treatment for contagious diseases.

                  bala, Most of the people who accidentally started this epidemic have already died; so they are beyond punishment for anything they caused. Since they were not deliberately making anyone sick, and probably had no idea what was wrong with them; it seems to me that your attitude is just a little harsh.

                  http://www.thyroidscience.com/review...ne.9.19.09.pdf
                  Interesting about iodine. I use Celtic sea salt which has the most naturally occurring bio available iodine. Might be s good idea for more people to switch to this kind of salt as the iodine in iodized salt isn't very bio available from what I've heard.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Tumbleweed View Post

                    bala, Most of the people who accidentally started this epidemic have already died; so they are beyond punishment for anything they caused. Since they were not deliberately making anyone sick, and probably had no idea what was wrong with them; it seems to me that your attitude is just a little harsh.

                    http://www.thyroidscience.com/review...ne.9.19.09.pdf
                    Apologies,if that seemed harsh,but pls give it a second thought.
                    A person who escapes quarantine is proving to be a danger to himself and to the outside public.
                    Does that not amount to murder ?.Regarding the punishment part,the guy who escaped the quarantine was brought back to it i guess,but look at the havoc he has caused.
                    Don't u feel,he was the one who spread this virus.?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The number of people in quarantine is now up to almost 1400 people in South Korea, and they are still checking to see if there are more possibilities of places where people could have been infected.
                      People are now wearing face masks on the streets, and the schools are closing , for fear of the epidemic spreading to the children.
                      One interesting fact seems to be that this virus usually does not spread from person to person very easily; and medical authorities are still trying to understand why it is spreading so rampantly there in South Korea.
                      They also said that usually , the people who do die from MERS are people who are in poor health, or have another debilitating disease.
                      The first person, the one who accidentally carried it into the country, and then sought help when he became sick, also had COPD, which contributed to his death from the respiratory disease.

                      An interesting question just came to mind. One of the places that the Pentagon shipped the live anthrax to was South Korea. What if they are actually having an issue with anthrax, not MERS, and are keeping the information quiet? It seems the sympoms for both are similar to flu symptoms, and that would explain why it is spreading so fast.
                      Ideas ? ? thoughts ? ?

                      http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/03/world/...ers/index.html
                      Last edited by Tumbleweed; 06-04-2015, 02:02 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        A total of six people have now died in South Korea as a result of MERS. 87 other people have been affected which has led to the closing of 1,870 schools and more than 2,000 people remain in quarantine.

                        This AP article reports that all the MERS cases in South Korea have been hospital-associated and there has been no case of an infection in any other social settings. As a result of this, authorities have made public the names of the 24 hospitals that have treated MERS patients so far so that anyone that has visited those facilities can report themselves if they are showing symptoms similar to MERS-related illnesses
                        Last edited by dillinger10; 06-07-2015, 11:10 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          dillinger10, this news is getting to my nerves because I know for a fact that MERS is highly communicable. That hospital-associated makes it more scary because where would you put the patients but in the hospital. I guess airports now are on the red alert for travelers with high body temperature. All we can do for now is to be vigilant - monitor the news reports for possible outbreak in your area. This no joke anymore.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Alexandoy View Post
                            dillinger10, this news is getting to my nerves because I know for a fact that MERS is highly communicable. That hospital-associated makes it more scary because where would you put the patients but in the hospital. I guess airports now are on the red alert for travelers with high body temperature. All we can do for now is to be vigilant - monitor the news reports for possible outbreak in your area. This no joke anymore.
                            According to the World Health Organization, although MERS is contagious, it is only to a limited extent. They claim that the virus is not easily passed from person to person unless there is close contact, such as occurs when providing unprotected care to a patient. This would explain why all of the MERS cases in South Korea so far have all occurred within hospitals and there have been no cases of an infection in any other social settings.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Reuters reports tonight that eight more people have been infected with the virus, bringing the total to 95. It was also reported today that a seventh person has died, accordingly, Hong Kong officials are set to issue a red alert, advising travelers to avoid non-essential travel. Despite this red alert, the CDC is still advising American's that it is safe to travel to South Korea.

                              Furthermore, the government still insists that there have been no cases of an infection in any social setting outside of hospitals and has emphasized that MERS spreads from close contact with an ill person, usually by caring for them.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X