Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kazakhstan village being evacuated due to "sleeping disease".

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Kazakhstan village being evacuated due to "sleeping disease".

    For the last several years, a village of about 1,000 people in Kazakhstan has had a mysterious illness going around where people are just falling asleep at odd times, and sometimes they will sleep for days. The illness also produces dizzyness, and memory loss, as well as possible hallucinations.
    It is not known what is causing this illness; but they have decided that it might be something to do with the location of the city, and so all of the people are meing evacuated, and moved to another location to see if that helps stop the spread of the illness.

    http://sputniknews.com/society/20150228/1018867086.html

  • #2
    My first thought was that it could have been a natural gas leak or carbon monoxide poisoning. Hopefully, the'll be able to get to the root of the problem. I feel sorry for the residents who now have to relocate but at least the oblast want to ensure they have homes and jobs in their new towns.

    Comment


    • #3
      That's pretty scary. It does sound as if something is poisoning them. I hope they can figure out what it is to prevent it from happening to others. I'm glad they're being moved to safety, but yeah, it's difficult to up and move. Good to hear that there are resources available to help these people.

      I have only ever experienced the disruption of temporary evacuation. I can't imagine it being permanent and what a disruption that must feel like. Hopefully, it's all for the good.

      I certainly hope no permanent damage was done by this sickness.

      Comment


      • #4
        It appears that the mysterious illness has been solved. RT News reports that the culprit was high levels of carbon monoxide released from a closed uranium mine.

        Despite this ongoing epidemic, not everyone is content to abandon their homes and leave their lives behind. The latest reports state that, besides affecting 160 people in Kalachi, it has extended to the nearby ghost town of Krasnogorsk, infecting as many as 130 locals.

        Comment


        • #5
          Carbon monoxide is given off when fuel or other carbon based materials are burned especially in unmaintained equipments. Even houses are not safe from this, if stoves or heaters are not properly ventilated. Running vehicles in garages can also produce it. Cooking with charcoal also produces CO.

          I hope no permanent damage has happened in the affected people. As long exposure to it can also increase the risk of heart disease.

          Comment

          Working...
          X