Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mutant Mosquito

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mutant Mosquito

    Someone tell me why this worries me?

    First we battled nature by natural means (fire, water, etc..)
    Then we battle nature by engineered means (chemicals, machinery, etc...)
    Now we are fighting nature genetically?????

    Are they so dense they have not realized that YOU CAN NOT FIGHT NATURE! This is going to come back bite the Floridians in the bum if they release those MMs.
    Odds are you have already heard of Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs), especially in relation to food crops such as corn, wheat and potatoes, and how individuals and countries are electing to avoid them. But now, British biotechnology company, Oxitec, is seeking Federal Drug Administration (FDA) approval …

  • #2
    May be they are being genetically engineered to combat all these repellents and other sprays.I re.ally dread mosquitoes more than anything.They are irritating to say the least.As long as drains and other sources exist,they surely shall keep coming back.

    Comment


    • #3
      The whole thing sounds pretty sketchy. They've already released millions of these Mutant Mosquitoes in different countries and they aren't even REALLY sure if those engineered bugs won't cause any harm to humans. Lots of freaky scenarios come to mind like what if a new breed of mosquitoes are born from larvae that did not die as they was supposed to? Even with all our technology, man still remain ignorant.

      Comment


      • #4
        We live with the belief that we are above natural law. We have gotten ahead of ourselves and forgot that the laws of Nature should not be broken and there is no getting around those laws. Nature in the end will always beat us out. Those mutant mosquitoes may work.... but they may cause a major amount of issues also.

        Comment


        • #5
          Yes, if you genetically engineer insects for the purpose of curing an existing disease, then I see no reason for being opposed of it. I consider this move as no different from replicating anti-bodies present in a particular person with high immunity. I think those mutant mosquitoes aren't as great a threat as fellow human beings who won't hesitate to kill their own kind.

          Comment


          • #6
            That looks scary as hell, I need to go buy some more mosquito protection right now!

            Comment


            • #7
              Mankind has gone to far. Now we are potentially putting human live in danger and playing mad scientist. Has human trials gone into effect yet? Or do is Florida going to the first test subjects on a global scale? That is ridiculous! Too many questions and not enough answers. They could potentially spread diseases and god knows what else. This is uncharted territory and it could disastrous.

              Comment


              • #8
                I think that humans don't should mess up with nature, now it's just mosquitoes but what about in ten years? How many species would be genetically modified? Someday they would do this with humans? I really hope that this ends, it probably won't which is frustrating, because those things could be dangerous for all of us, they're basically using us as part of their experiments.

                Comment


                • #9
                  So what is the purpose of releasing these frankenbugs in the wild? I have heard about genetically modified mosquitoes created to mix up with the wild population so their lifespans will be shorter and they won't be able to spread disease to humans. So they release these man made creatures out of the open without asking permission from the residents of that area. These scientist are playing Russian roulette with their experiments. This experiment is a huge risk against public safety. I don't know what benefit will these bugs have but is this even approved by the government.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I would rather that they release more mosquito eating animals. There are a lot like frogs, lizards and even birds eat mosquitoes! They are actually destroying the cycle of nature by doing this. There are natural ways to eliminate these mosquitoes. Maybe if they breed more frogs or lizards then these insects will be lesser. I think frogs and lizards are relatively safer than these mutated mosquitoes.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Once you start messing around with nature, there inevitably will be consequences. Humanity has been meddling with the natural flow of things for a while now and the results have been devastating. Introducing new mutant insect, animal or plant species into the environment is beyond words. How can they ever know what kind of effect their action will have in the near future or in the long term? The answer is simple: they don't.
                      Well, why not have mutant insects to help propagate GMO crops? That's probably next... or is that already happening?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        This is really insane. In the long run it will have the same side effects as of antibiotics. Now we use antibiotics for each and every diseases which cures our disease faster. But do you know that these medicines are actually killing our friendly bacteria also inside our body. Continuous use of antibiotics weaken our immunity power and we become prone to more diseases. More disease means more antibiotics. It will lead to a situation when out immunity level becomes zero. Then even the smartest antibiotics will not be able to save our life. So these kind of things are against nature and it can have unimaginable side effects in the long term.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by xTinx View Post
                          Yes, if you genetically engineer insects for the purpose of curing an existing disease, then I see no reason for being opposed of it. I consider this move as no different from replicating anti-bodies present in a particular person with high immunity. I think those mutant mosquitoes aren't as great a threat as fellow human beings who won't hesitate to kill their own kind.

                          That is true. But on the other hand, antibodies are inanimate proteins, while mosquitoes are live organisms, capable of undergoing various mutations according to the environment they're residing in and can quickly become vectors of particular diseases prevalent in the area. And it's also true that adequate research has not yet been done to determine whether these engineered mosquitoes are incapable of harming their human hosts or not. So there's also that.

                          I absolutely agree on your point of human killing humans being more harmful to the society than mosquitoes, however.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                            Once you start messing around with nature, there inevitably will be consequences. Humanity has been meddling with the natural flow of things for a while now and the results have been devastating. Introducing new mutant insect, animal or plant species into the environment is beyond words. How can they ever know what kind of effect their action will have in the near future or in the long term? The answer is simple: they don't.
                            Well, why not have mutant insects to help propagate GMO crops? That's probably next... or is that already happening?
                            True enough, we shouldn't mess with nature, that's the point! As I've said, there are animals that eat mosquitoes. Why not breed more of them? They're safer and they won't ruin the cycle of nature. The thing is, we've become so dependent on technology that we forgot that we have natural elements that can help us get rid of those mosquitoes. Technology should not be used in excess, it can only mean harm for anyone. Breeding frogs are easy, why not just do that instead?
                            UnslaadKrosis likes this.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by UnslaadKrosis View Post


                              That is true. But on the other hand, antibodies are inanimate proteins, while mosquitoes are live organisms, capable of undergoing various mutations according to the environment they're residing in and can quickly become vectors of particular diseases prevalent in the area. And it's also true that adequate research has not yet been done to determine whether these engineered mosquitoes are incapable of harming their human hosts or not. So there's also that.

                              I absolutely agree on your point of human killing humans being more harmful to the society than mosquitoes, however.
                              Well if the intention is noble and if scientists can pull it off, then there's certainly nothing wrong with this. What's wrong is when they use humans during the testing stage. You never know how the experiment would go and, if tested on humans, that there will be no casualties.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X