Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible new polio virus found in California children.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible new polio virus found in California children.

At least 25 children in California, (average age around 12 years old ) have contracted what doctors think is a form of polio. These children have all had the polio vaccine, and it was confirm at first that they did not have that disease. However, this is a very similar virus, and the possibility is that this is a mutation of the original polio virus. Most of the children who contract this disease experience paralysis in some parts of their body, which is usually permanent. Doctors are asking for physicians in other states to report if they have children who have contracted tis virus, or something similar. Many times, it appears to be a regular flu virus, but then it will develop into the polio-type symptoms on some children. If this turns out to be related to the virus epidemic currently affecting children in 10 of our states, then this could be the start of a very serious epidemic as it spreads. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/doctors...ry?id=22657574

Darn it dude.It is a Feb 24 article.Some 6 odd months back.I am pretty sure they would have sorted things out.The syndrome was rare,but they must have curbed it,lest we would have seen at least 3-4 cases in these months,right.?

Comment

Here is the latest article that I can find on it, and this one is from July; so the issue is still an ongoing one. Some places are also wondering if this is somehow connected to the virus that has spread through at least 10 states so far. The symptoms are very similar, and it is also related to the polio virus, so it could be a mutation of the original polio virus.

http://alignlife.com/articles/respir...lness-outbreak

Both are caused by the enterovirus-68, so there is likely some sort of correlation between the two diseases.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/t...s-of-children/
      Last edited by Tumbleweed; 09-10-2014, 10:42 AM. Reason: add link

Comment

Hm, this is definitely a bit strange. If I understand it correctly, the mutated strain of the polio virus isn't affected by the vaccines, correct? Is it safe to assume that it should be easy to make a slightly modified vaccine that will be able to deal with the mutated strain or not? Or is the virus simply too strong for vaccines?

Comment

That is quite chilling. My own father suffered from polio in his youth (essentially lost the use of a leg), but, obviously, survived. I'd be pretty freaked out if there was a chance one of my own children could contract a similar disease.
          "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

Comment

Polio is a very dangerous disease and it is very scary that it has been reported again. You would think that the virus was all eliminated by now, which makes me wonder what caused the outbreak in the first place. How could the virus have come back from a seemingly long "extinction" without provocation?

Comment

I heard about this when it was first exposed on the news, that was months back. I have not heard any new information besides more children contracting the virus. It seems like they do not want to bring too much attention to this subject. Or it may be that there is so much going on in our world right now. Either way, we have some major medical disasters going on. It is pretty scary to think about this, because I have children myself. I would not wish this on any parent.

Comment

The Ev-68 has been spreading across the United Stated in the last few months, and most doctors are now saying that it is a type of polio , or at the very least, closely related to the polio virus.
                Some authorities are now reporting that the virus reached here from the illegal alien children who started arriving here last summer from Guatemala, and other Central American countries.

Although many cases of this disease are being found that are no where near our southern border, it is very likely that they started spreading from the Central American children who are now being integrated into our school systems all over the United States.

http://www.examiner.com/article/proo...entral-america

Comment

Very scary...all this attention on scary contagions all the sudden. It is certainly possible that it's a mutation, particularly given that these children actually WERE vaccinated, and if that's the case who knows how bad it could get? The more children it infects, the higher the rate of mutation potential is.

Comment

Do they know how this virus is spread? That would be a big factor in how to prevent future infections. Polio was spread through water if I'm not mistaken, is this new virus also spread through water?

Comment

This is a sad reality. I have seen people with polio and it's heartbreaking to see their limbs in a shrunken and somewhat deformed state. The paralysis that goes with it is also too much to bear. I hope the government will fund research on new polio vaccine. It seems the current vaccines don't work anymore since the virus has already mutated. Perhaps there's a natural plant somewhere that can combat polio even in its evolved form.

Comment

Another child has died , and they believe it to be from the Enterovirus 68, but tests are being done to be sure.
                        The unnamed boy died of respiratory complucations over the weekend , and lived near Phoenix Arizona. The school has been disinfected, but most parents are also keeping their children home from school until more is knoow about the virus that killed this little boy this weekend.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...e=domesticNews

Comment

I heard more about this on the radio today. There are new details since last year.

The British publication, The Daily Mail has general details in this article: New virus 'causing alarming PARALYSIS in children across US is linked to polio', experts say

The CDC has an article in their publication, Emerging Infection Diseases, concerning research on the virus: Acute Flaccid Paralysis Associated with Novel Enterovirus C105
                          "Success is survival." ~ Leonard Cohen

Comment

This is scary especially for parents of children. I read that this enterovirus C105 is only found in the respiratory tract of the paralysed children and not in their spinal fluid. So to truly link the virus to the paralysis, they have to find it in the spinal fluid first. Do you think another virus is involved in these cases?

Comment

Working...
                            X