Personal Information of Bitdefemder anti virus customers got stolen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Information of Bitdefemder anti virus customers got stolen

I thought Bit defender is one of the most secure Anti-virus out there because it is able to get rid of the malwares and adwares most popular Anti-virus softwares on my PC before but their pristine and clean reputation is suddenly tainted because a hacker managed to extract the information of it's customers. We know people pay money so they can have a more secure Anti-virus but its the people who have paid who had their personal information extracted by the hacker. Most of us felt secured online when we are using an Anti virus and Anti malware but it seemed like it is not enough protection. I will never purchase anything online that won't go through Paypal. Those online stores that directly ask for my credit card number, I never trust them at all.

Only a small number of customer information of hacked but they still got hacked.
    Hackers are threatening to publicly reveal a small number of BitDefender account names and passwords unless their ransom demands are met.
    Last edited by Billy; 08-02-2015, 11:39 AM.

I was given an offer for Bitdefender Total Security 2015 on facebook,for free.
    Link
    Do you think i should install it now that my antirus (kaspersky) in on the verge of an expiry date.

I reckon the best will be paypal for payment,at least for now.

Any idea on the extent of damage ?

Comment

They just got hacked and the personal information of their customers were stolen. I created this topic so people won't install them for now. Unless you feel secure about an Antivirus software that just got attacked by hackers its up to you. Their reputation is damaged at this moment. I don't know how long will they make this damage control but I don't feel confident about them at this moment. I don't want to risk my personal information leaking to the wrong hands.
      Last edited by Billy; 08-03-2015, 04:17 AM.

Comment

There is no such thing as a secure system when dealing with the internet. You can secure your system so that is more unlikely to be attacked, but you can never fully lock your system from it. Anything can be hacked.
        Where there is an beginning, there is an end.
        Where there is an end, there is a new beginning.

Comment

This is something really big for Bitdefender and they're going to lose out on a lot of sales until they fix their problems. That being said, I don't think we should be too harsh on them. Security breaches happen everytime, and while I know this shouldn't be acceptable we should at least give them the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

This is the reason why I prefer the free trial versions of Antivirus softwares because I don't want to give out my personal information like email or credit card number online. I only buy something online if I can use Paypal because Paypal is ore secure than inserting my actual debit card number. I don't really want to take that risk, this is a huge stain in the reputation of Bit defender. People have short term memory when it comes to news like this but I don't. I don't think I will use their service at all.

Comment

Originally posted by KimberlyD View Post
              There is no such thing as a secure system when dealing with the internet. You can secure your system so that is more unlikely to be attacked, but you can never fully lock your system from it. Anything can be hacked.
              Yes,I agree with you. Anything that can be accessed can be hacked too. By installing a antivirus software we are just trying to avoid vulnerabilities but there is no 100% guarantee in this case.

I use a free version of Avast anti-virus. It is working fine on my PC. As it is a home computer having only limited use I think this is more than enough. It could catch a few viruse/malware programmes from my PC and cleaned it. Earlier I was using AVG which was slowing down my PC. Hence I switched to Avast which is almost silent.

Comment

I will never buy anything online if its not gong through Paypal, there is no chance in hell I will share my credit card information to a seller that I can't trust or not secure enough. I think many users of bit defender decided to pay money for an upgrade because they were very confident for the the security of bit defender because then service they offer is security. This incident makes me hesitate to try their services again. Its their job to keep their customers secure and they failed to deliver on a field they were known for.
                Last edited by Billy; 08-12-2015, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X