Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Ransom virus, An infection that will hold your computer hostage.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ransom virus, An infection that will hold your computer hostage.

There is a new virus that is lurking around the internet and it is very dangerous. It is a new variation of a Cryptowall virus. This is virus will not destroy our computer but it will held your computer hostage. It will force you to pay money via Paypal or Bitcoins before your will get to use your computer again. Some of them attacks after you click an advertisement while others hide in some phishing link emails. Make sure your Anti virus is updated and she pop up blockers because this virus starts as a pop up. I find it really disturbing because many victims ends up paying hard earned cash. It is really disturbing that viral infections of computers are getting more extreme than ever.
    Freezing your computer and holding it ransom, the ransomware scam is back and more vicious than ever, according to a new FBI report

Computer users should always always backup all their files. This way, even if a virus takes hold of your computer, you can just reformat it and reinstall the files. You can just buy a hard disk that can contain all your documents, pictures and other files. This way when a virus like this attacks your computer, you would not have to pay to get it back. Also, do not click on suspicious sites that can get your computer infected. Such pop up screens are likely infected, so always be careful!

Comment

I really hope this hacker will be caught right away because this person is making a lot of money from robbing people online. It is able to penetrate Antivirus softwares if it's not updated. I heard many Antivirus brands online already updated their system because of this very disturbing threat. At this moment it can be blocked but I don't know if there is already a solution on how to get rid of it without harming very important files. Website owners should be careful of the ads they will accept.

Comment

So this virus can block your computer only by appearing as a pop up? I may not have understood correctly, but my knowledge tells me that's not possible unless you download something from them.
        Still, people should update their antiviruses and keep their guard up. Viruses are everywhere, and they should be really careful.

Comment

And you won't be able to use it until you pay the hacker cash with your credit card or with Bitcoins. It is really a huge threat so people should better not click any link provided to them by strangers that looks suspicious. Website owners should also be careful to what kind of ads they will accept on their site because its ad can victimize a lot of people and that will harm the reputation and integrity of their website. I really hope then solution against this virus will be found.
          Last edited by Billy; 08-03-2015, 05:30 AM.

Comment

This is really alarming. I am hearing of this strange virus for the first time. It is just like a virus taking users at gun point and asking for money! But what will happen if we did not pay and approach an expert to get rid of this virus right away. Anyway there must be some ways to eliminate this virus from PC.

I just wanted to know whether common free antivirus packages like Avast, Panda, AVG etc can protect our PC from its attack. I think the infection here is mainly through pop-up windows.

Comment

Based from the comments of the people who became victims, they got it from those piracy websites like the ones that streams movies, TV shows, paid versions of apps and games. Piracy sites were not picky on the Ads they accept thats why these dangerous viruses and malwares gets to attack many people. Those websites are illegal so I guess that's why they became an easy target for the hackers. Some of the attacks happen because of email spams and spam private messages. Believe it or of many people still fall for those traps thats why they kept on going.

Comment

I have heard of this virus. It is a strong virus that even if you change or try to reformat your computer, it can't be done because the virus holds it. I have seen this virus discussion on Computer Geeks FB group. As stated, there is no solution to this rather to change your Hard Drive. Thats the only solution and all your files would be locked. (unless you pay)

Comment

I really hope then person who is getting paid will get tracked. The person who created this virus don't deserve to get paid. He or he is a criminal and should not get any profit from stealing and robbing other people's money. The question is do the people who pay money or Bitcoins got their computer back. I will never go to those dangerous sites ever. I heard a good anti virus and a pop up blocker can to this from getting new victims. I think those sites that promises you will get to watch a movie after answering surveys could be the culprit because those sites have a lot of spy wares.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy View Post
                    I really hope then person who is getting paid will get tracked. The person who created this virus don't deserve to get paid. He or he is a criminal and should not get any profit from stealing and robbing other people's money. The question is do the people who pay money or Bitcoins got their computer back. I will never go to those dangerous sites ever. I heard a good anti virus and a pop up blocker can to this from getting new victims. I think those sites that promises you will get to watch a movie after answering surveys could be the culprit because those sites have a lot of spy wares.
                    Yes, I agree with you that these culprits should be punished ideally so that no other person will ever dare to do this. Recently I came to know of another trick being played by these people. In this case while working on a site where you are logged in, you will get a window saying that you are logged out and you need to login to continue. This is a trap, when you login with your details the hacker on the other side will be able to record your username and password. This is quite common in online money making sites.

As per experts, best remedy would be to not to re-login when you are logged out without any reasons. Close the browser, clear history and cookies and then open a new window to login again.

Comment

• BranTheScooterMan
                      BranTheScooterMan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It's kind of like a genie in a bottle situation which is really unfortunately.
                      Once it's out then it can be copied and remade by others.
                      The best defense is to keep current on this stuff and share it with people, just like we are doing here!
                  Working...
                  X