Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Over one million fingerprints have also been stolen by hackers !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over one million fingerprints have also been stolen by hackers !

This is being called one of the most dangerous security breaches that has ever happened, and it is even worse, because no one has any idea what the hackers intend to do with the fingerprints.
    All of our other data, passwords, even social security numbers can be replaced. Our fingerprints are a permanent part of a person, and there is no way to replace them.
    The closest we ever come to that is people who have removed their fingerprints with abrasive of some kind.

Since the government security officials have no idea what the fingerprints might be used for in a cyber attack; it is hard for them to know just what they have to do to protect against it.

http://youtu.be/a1cu2oI0gCU

This is unbelievable. I am getting really skeptical as to if there is anyone or any group working in order to stop these huge hacking breaches. I personally think that there needs to be some kind of new system in place that could not be fully in the computers. Sometimes I feel it would be safer if such sensitive information was not kept in the vulnerable internet files but instead in a secure vault.

Comment

Making these available as internet files makes them much more vulnerable I think.

The scary part is that these finger prints might get used for a Heinous crime. The stolen identities may also ruin the lives of the people who really own them. I hope that the people who owns these stolen fingerprints will have their identities protected. We are in an era where everything is computerized and sometimes and its really scary that modern technology is becoming a threat instead of a help.

Comment

The prints could be used, maybe even in a combination with some of the other stolen data like names and Social Security numbers, as further identity authentication and they could just replace the prints with theirs to create themselves a new, assumed identities (thieves or their associates.)
        The DHS should invest in security rather than just spying over Americans.
        fcphdJim likes this.

Comment

So, in light of this story, how many think it's a good idea to secure a phone or computer with only a fingerprint?

Comment

• BranTheScooterMan
            BranTheScooterMan commented
            Editing a comment
            It's actually never been a good idea, it's all been a big marketing thing from the beginning.
            Still the best security is a unique and strong password.
            If it gets stolen like in this instance, or if it gets lifted from a surface or people can now recreate one from a photo! http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30623611 Then you're shot, you only have one FP you can't change it like a password. That's a huge issue with bio-metrics in general.
            There are other issues as well if you want to look them up.

I do not think it is a good idea to secure anything with a fingerprint. I do not know what movie is it that I have watched wherein a man cut the finger of his victim so he can have his finger for his fingerprint. Ever since that movie, I have not even tried securing my phone or pc with my fingerprint.

Also, the internet is one of the most unsecure places to ever go into. I think hackers are getting more and more creative nowadays. I read about this hacker that sends you a file and when you open it, he can see through your webcam! Pretty scary!
          fcphdJim likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Briannagodess View Post
            I do not think it is a good idea to secure anything with a fingerprint. I do not know what movie is it that I have watched wherein a man cut the finger of his victim so he can have his finger for his fingerprint. Ever since that movie, I have not even tried securing my phone or pc with my fingerprint.

Also, the internet is one of the most unsecure places to ever go into. I think hackers are getting more and more creative nowadays. I read about this hacker that sends you a file and when you open it, he can see through your webcam! Pretty scary!

If you remember F & F too,where the lady gets the pass to the vault by sitting by his side and when he touches her arse,she gets the print..No need to go to the extent of cutting a finger after all.
            We shd be wary of everything nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by bala View Post
              The DHS should invest in security rather than just spying over Americans.
              Thank you! This is one of the most relevant and truthful statements I have read on this forum. With all the billions of dollars of our taxes that get funneled into DHS we are less secure than ever. Personally, I'm a lot more concerned about all our networks being hacked and terrorists sneaking into our country than I am about my neighbors' phone conversations.

Comment

Originally posted by fcphdJim View Post
                So, in light of this story, how many think it's a good idea to secure a phone or computer with only a fingerprint?
                Is voice recognition or eyes ball scanning a better option? Finger print is a better option than a password but situations like this makes it look less secure. Those are the other alternate options I can think about as alternatives for this type of security but they might be something that can be stolen as well. I mean voice can be imitated and we know many people are talented n that department. It seemed like having a secret room in your Ouse with a vault, sounded like a more secure way to hide your money over a bank.

Comment

I knew for a fact before fingerprint scanners were mainstream that hackers would have an easy time hacking devices if the only protection was a person's fingerprint. The scanner needs to be updated and improved in the security department, it's just a niche that isn't working as intended at the moment.
                  Still, fingerprint scanners can be something revolutionary in terms of security if manufacturers perfect the system.

Comment

I don't know what they plan to do but identity theft is probably a plan. I would sort of expect them to misuse the prints of someone with an old minor record, rather than someone who is squeaky clean for 40-50 years. It would make it less likely they would be immediately suspected of the identity theft, but no one is totally safe. Literally anyone's identity could be stolen, even small children have had their identity stolen.

Comment

It is quite strange. What might be the possible reason behind this act. I think may be they want to get access to somewhere which needs bio-metric authorization to enter. Nowadays most of the organisations use bio-metric punching system for their employees. This will enable them for an effective management of their timekeeping and remuneration workings. I heard that hackers can even steal finger prints from Android smart phones.

Comment

The existence of hackers certainly is a double-edged sword. Only hackers can fight hackers. To stop the dangerous hackers, you need to enlist the help of the noble ones. It's sad that a skill that could have changed people's lives for the better is being used to cultivate animosity, discord and insecurity.

Comment

Working...
                        X