Hackers obtain social security numbers of 20 million people

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hackers obtain social security numbers of 20 million people

I was shocked to see the news alert I saw yesterday. it stated that there was security breach in which around 21 million people have had their social security potentially stolen. They suspect that this is an attack from China on the USA since they have been doing this for a while now.
    It seems like hackers are getting much clever each day. It's just mind blowing how in a split second million of people could potentially have huge issues down the road. I would definitely be very cautious of every major credit card that you own and any personal data.

here is the article for further information: http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/09/politi...ch-20-million/

I reckon there ain't a cure for this problem.It's leap frog all over.Maybe they can try a new approach. If a hacker has the information he needs to ruin someones life then make them have to jump through hoops to be able to do it.For a Start you can have it like one tax return to one bank account.If the bank account is tried to be used on anther return it should be denied.They can't be opening up new accounts as well,because there will be a track of it and they will be given up quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by bala View Post
      I reckon there ain't a cure for this problem.It's leap frog all over.Maybe they can try a new approach. If a hacker has the information he needs to ruin someones life then make them have to jump through hoops to be able to do it.For a Start you can have it like one tax return to one bank account.If the bank account is tried to be used on anther return it should be denied.They can't be opening up new accounts as well,because there will be a track of it and they will be given up quickly.
      Yes, that could be a good step so that everything is contained. I think it would be a good idea for people to receive notifications on either their text messaging systems or even email whenever they make a purchase. Security needs to be heightened in this sense and I don't think anyone would mind receiving these alerts because as always, safe is better than sorry.

Comment

You're right guys! Banks and security companies should increase their alertness and strictness when it comes to money and accounts. These days it's so easy to fall victim to hackers and scammers who rob us of our hard earned money. That's why sometimes I do hesitate to do my transactions online because of the threat of hacking and online robbery. I don't know what I would do if I would ever fall victim to this kind of crime.

Comment

Originally posted by gracer View Post
          You're right guys! Banks and security companies should increase their alertness and strictness when it comes to money and accounts. These days it's so easy to fall victim to hackers and scammers who rob us of our hard earned money. That's why sometimes I do hesitate to do my transactions online because of the threat of hacking and online robbery. I don't know what I would do if I would ever fall victim to this kind of crime.
          Yes, its very scary nowadays when everything is so virtual and hackers are becoming smarter with each day. I also am very very concerned with the fact that we have these new "chips" on our credit cards which means most locations will not be requiring us to swipe our credit card but instead to just touch it on some screen which reads it automatically. This means that someone could actually steal out identity quicker if the info is being read from a little chip.

Comment

The Cyber Crime division of FBI were reformed former hackers. It seemed like the new younger hackers had surpassed them so its going to be hard to identify the culprits of this incident. Banks and credit card companies needed to improve their security for the sake of their company and for the sake of their customers. I remember a story about a millionaire who ends up as a homeless person after his bank accounts got hacked.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Blush View Post

Yes, that could be a good step so that everything is contained. I think it would be a good idea for people to receive notifications on either their text messaging systems or even email whenever they make a purchase. Security needs to be heightened in this sense and I don't think anyone would mind receiving these alerts because as always, safe is better than sorry.
              That is already existing,we need to have something like a combination.
              For instance when you use your credit card online,you need to have a 2-3 step authentication like,the bank rep calling you to confirm or an automated voice plus,gateway check and maybe even text messages.

I see a lot of fraudulent activities these days.Of course hackers can tap our phones or somehow find a way out,we then will move to a better level of security.

Its more liek a game between a cop and a thief that we played in our childhood :P except that this time around the thief is behind us

Comment

Working...
              X