Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often should you change your password?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always type my new password in a notepad so I won't need to manually type it when I need to log in and to protect me from forgetting it. Not typing my password also saves me from the attacks of those Key logger malwares and spy wares. I heard logging in with Microsoft's on screen keyboard is also a great protection fro having our passwords stolen. I think as long as we avoid those dangerous website and Phising Links. In believe there is no need to change passwords ifnyoj are pretty much secure enough.

Comment

2 times a year is safe. Though once you can sense that someone is accessing you account, then the earlier the better we should change our password. A year old password is still good as long as we can see that it is untouched. It really depends on the way how we use the account.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Blush View Post

He recommended to change the password every years. Changing it every few months is just too much in his opinion. I was also going to mention the point about the birthdays. Real information such as where we were born or our birth year or other important dates should never be used in the password area. The more complicated it is such as "ysrt2049" the better. It's more clever and probably has a higher chance of never being hacked.
        Thanks for the tip! It is amazing how some people even use their birthdays as passwords which is really risky! I love how many sites require people to have lowercase and uppercase letters with numbers and a certain length is needed too. This ensures that your password is harder to crack and your account is safer.

Comment

Originally posted by lin-duh View Post
          More often than I do, I'm sure. I never change my passwords unless I'm prompted to by the site in question. Even then, I usually don't want to! That said, my passwords are usually good ones, so they'll be tough to crack.
          Me too, I only change my password when I smell something fishy.
          There are times that I just change my password if something goes wrong on my account or during the logging in times.

Comment

As long as you don't enter shady websites or download things that look scammy then you should be fine not ever changing your password. People should be smart enough nowadays to not be hacked by some malware on the internet. If a hacker wants to crack your password he will do it even if you change it a thousand times a day.
            Keyloggers are the worst and you should be afraid of those, but they're usually really easy to spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Briannagodess View Post

Thanks for the tip! It is amazing how some people even use their birthdays as passwords which is really risky! I love how many sites require people to have lowercase and uppercase letters with numbers and a certain length is needed too. This ensures that your password is harder to crack and your account is safer.
              There are also a number of websites in which you can enter the url or the place you want to shop from and that website will tell you if there has been hacking activity there or if there is some sort of scam that people have reported below. All we have to do is just show a slight interest and we will find all the information we need to stay safe.

Comment

Anna Blush
                Wow I have never heard of such a site! That will come in handy especially for frequent online shoppers. Many online customers use their credit card when buying and it is quite alarming that many have been hacked this way. Good thing some people have made it easy to spot scams or hackings.

As for me, I have never tried online shopping. I just feel scared that I might be scammed or my information will be hacked. I also liked seeing what I want to purchase and actually touching it or fitting it before buying it. So buying online is not really for me.

Comment

I think that is really lmportant to change your password often, as you've said there is always risk that someone hacks your account. But i don't follow my own advices! I have had the same passwords for about two years I think! I really need to change that... It could be dangerous if I don't.

Comment

I usually change my password 2x a year. My passwords always have numbers in them. I also try to visit sites that are "legit" . I avoid unknown sites.
                    I have a notebook wherein my passwords are there, In case I forget. I'm tend to be forgetful.

Comment

Originally posted by May102014 View Post
                      I usually change my password 2x a year. My passwords always have numbers in them. I also try to visit sites that are "legit" . I avoid unknown sites.
                      I have a notebook wherein my passwords are there, In case I forget. I'm tend to be forgetful.
                      Same as you I also keep a notebook where my passwords are written. There were a lot of times that I forgot my password in emails or social media accounts. Good thing there are the secret questions but sometimes they do not ask the secret questions. I have lost a few good emails because of my forgetfulness and so a notebook with my passwords is necessary. I also write certain details in my account in that notebook so if someone hacks me, I can prove that the account is mine.

Comment

Sadly, people don't take internet security seriously, despite the fact that people could hack a lot about their lives by using the information that people store online. Yet still, people don't tend to change their passwords often, if ever, many have the same password for everything - and even worse are those who have a password that is simply a word that relates directly to them. It is incredibly dangerous, and something that people should get out of the habit of. I personally like to change mine on a monthly basis. I hit the keypad, and my password is whatever comes up, plus a randomly selected string of digits and symbols at the end. I like to think that it would be enough to protect me.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Blush View Post
                          I have had a situation a few years ago where my email was hacked. I called customer service and luckily they were able to help me. I couldn't forget when they offered me one piece of advice which was the switch my password everywhere every 3 months of so. I remember thinking it was way to often and I wouldn't be able to keep up with it. Having said that I do not switch my password so often but I do change it every now and then.

What are your thoughts on this and how often do you think a password needs to be changed throughout the year?

Yes, you are absolutely right that we should change our passwords more often. Also we should keep it more complex so that nobody else can easily track it. But when changing passwords we need to keep a proper register for that. Otherwise it would not be possible to remember passwords of all those sites. But if you are going to create a file for that in your PC, that is also not advisable. It can be hacked anytime anywhere. So it is always better to keep a diary for that purpose.

We also need to be very careful about phishing sites. Always check that the spelling in the web address is correct and it starts with a valid "https". Just remember that there are similar fake sites waiting outside to steal our information.

Comment

I thinks along with changing passwords, its always better using some of the risk assesment softwares to get rid of the data breaches and hackers. Especially in medical field, it is necessary to keep the data safe for a long run.
                            Our comprehensive cybersecurity assessment service helps discover threats and vulnerabilities in your devices, categorizes and solves cybersecurity issues.

Comment

Working...
                            X