Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often should you change your password?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often should you change your password?

I have had a situation a few years ago where my email was hacked. I called customer service and luckily they were able to help me. I couldn't forget when they offered me one piece of advice which was the switch my password everywhere every 3 months of so. I remember thinking it was way to often and I wouldn't be able to keep up with it. Having said that I do not switch my password so often but I do change it every now and then.

What are your thoughts on this and how often do you think a password needs to be changed throughout the year?

Dude,one piece of suggestion for you.
    SHd your password be xyz@81,then u can change it every month with just a shift in key stroke.

Like Xyz@81 and then xYz@81..or any character you wish,keep the crux same should you want to have it easy in your memory.

Comment

I change my passwords twice a year. I always right them down and put them in a secure place. Most of the time, people are just too lazy to do this. I'd recommend you do this or you could get gotten.

Comment

I personally change my passwords to all my internet accounts once a year. I used to do it more frequently but remembering the password was somewhat of a challenge. But if you have suspicions that your password may be in jeopardy, then you should not think twice about changing it.

Comment

It is important to change your password often, probably once in two months or once a month is even better. This is to ensure that all your information and accounts are safe. The internet is such a huge place and we need some kind of protection when we are in it. Nowadays, hackers are becoming more and more skilled. It is better to be safe than sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Briannagodess View Post
            It is important to change your password often, probably once in two months or once a month is even better. This is to ensure that all your information and accounts are safe. The internet is such a huge place and we need some kind of protection when we are in it. Nowadays, hackers are becoming more and more skilled. It is better to be safe than sorry.
            I have actually spoken to a friend since I wrote this post and he said that there is a possibility that when you change passwords so often, this could actually help hackers get into your system. It's almost like opening your would up before you stitch it back in and it lets the bacteria get in quicker (before the close). I'm probably becoming way too paranoid about this since it's already happened to me once before.

Comment

I just changed my password today because I was so spoiled by the auto sign in feature of my browser that I can't remember it anymore. I was forced to clear the cookies of my browser after I started to experience a lot of crashing with my browser. The moment I cleared the cookies, my browser don't remember my password anymore. I can't remember it neither so I decided to reset it. I don't think I will get hacked because I don't fall for phishing links and my password is very complicated.

My former password 4 years ago is the lyrics of the Rudy Valley 1930's hit song "Kitty from Kansas city" I just compressed it by removing the space. I am that crazy when it comes to email passwords.

Comment

I change my password twice a month an never use the same password twice. That way I am safe even if one of my accounts get hacked everything else is safe. It is hard to remember at times, however it is easy after you get a pattern going and start remember the pattern instead of the actual password. Its best to use complex passwords so your accounts don't get compromised, simple passwords are very easy to hack with a basic program accessible to everyone.

My passwords always have 2 parts, first part is the thing relating me to the site the second is the date of when I changed the password backwards with a few other twists.

Comment

When it comes to password changes, I do mine once a month now. With sites like Google using just the one password to access all the acounts, I think it probably more important than ever to make sure your passwords are changed on a regular basis.

One of the golden rules used to be that you don't use the same password for all your accounts, so I'm not sure why Google have gone down that route. If somebody gets hold of your password now, they will have access to all the sites your subscribed to, Gmail, Google+ and even YouTube.

Comment

With all the cybercrimes of hacking accounts nowadays, it is definitely advisable to change your pw from time to time. And always be cautious in registering your emails and passwords online.

Comment

I'm somewhat negligent when it comes to my passwords. I have a different one for every account that I possess, but I rarely change them. They are long and complicated passwords that include numbers and capital letters, and for some reason I am always able to remember them. I've never felt the need to write them down anywhere. I've never had any trouble with anyone getting into my accounts. Perhaps I've just been lucky so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Blush View Post

I have actually spoken to a friend since I wrote this post and he said that there is a possibility that when you change passwords so often, this could actually help hackers get into your system. It's almost like opening your would up before you stitch it back in and it lets the bacteria get in quicker (before the close). I'm probably becoming way too paranoid about this since it's already happened to me once before.
                        Then, what is his recommendation for changing passwords? I do think it is safe to change the password often as long as you do not save your password on any device. Also, clear your cache and history most of the time. Never use your birthday as your password as that is a dead giveaway.

Comment

Then, what is his recommendation for changing passwords? I do think it is safe to change the password often as long as you do not save your password on any device. Also, clear your cache and history most of the time. Never use your birthday as your password as that is a dead giveaway.
                          He recommended to change the password every years. Changing it every few months is just too much in his opinion. I was also going to mention the point about the birthdays. Real information such as where we were born or our birth year or other important dates should never be used in the password area. The more complicated it is such as "ysrt2049" the better. It's more clever and probably has a higher chance of never being hacked.

Comment

Luckily I have never been hacked but I know many who have so I change my passwords at least twice a year. It is a variation of the same password because I am afraid if I changed it completely I would never remember what it was. Every three months is probably an even better idea because one can't ever be too careful.

Comment

More often than I do, I'm sure. I never change my passwords unless I'm prompted to by the site in question. Even then, I usually don't want to! That said, my passwords are usually good ones, so they'll be tough to crack.

Comment

Working...
                              X