Use different passwords for every site

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use different passwords for every site

Hi guys, I will share with you this little tip about increase your online safety. Basically the tip, as you can see from the title of this thread is really obvious but most of the time none applies it. The tip is simple: use different passwords for every site you register and you care about not getting it stealed. You can use the same password for example on site where you don't really care if some access it without your permission.

Thank you.We Welcome your ideas,but many would have the hassle of remembering them.Either way you don't have many a permutation to change characters within the same Password too.
    If sites decide to steal information,they will do it with ease,because when you sign up,the site if it uses an encryption for instance,say SALTS,the common one,it can decode it in a jiffy and take away your password.
    If its SSL encrypted,it might be a pain,but yeah we can't help it if the sites decide to take our passwords.

A new type of security system,like a multi stage login could help.

Comment

I always wanted to try this but I guess I am just too lazy. I always use the same password. But I have other security measures set up, so they can't really do much harm to me. Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

Comment

• Billy
        Billy commented
        Editing a comment
        I know because it is every convenient. I think it is okay to have one universal password as long as we use different username for different websites. Billy is not my username in other websites where I was a member.

• calicer1996
        calicer1996 commented
        Editing a comment
        That's another problem I have. I use the same email, same username and same password wherever I sign up. I need to change my policies. Thanks for the heads up.

When I was 12, I use to have the same password on every single website where I was registered. My universal password then is "badger" Well some hacker managed to badger information about me and successfully hacked my account. Imagine how awful it would have been if that hacker found out I am using the same password and username in other sites. I was young and naive then.

Comment

that is a great point. We should not just use one password especially our password on our PayPal Account etc. Using different password is safer especially nowadays that there are lots of sites to earn money online . For me, I use different email address for my PayPal Account and I use another email address to use for the sites I work on. This is safer for me, In case my password and email would be hacked, they would not know my PayPal Account because I am using a different email address and password.

Comment

I'm starting to use this method even though it's really such a hassle. Why can't sites just upgrade their security features to thwart off black hat techniques? I am especially having trouble with my Yahoo accounts. Their system is too outdated and susceptible to hackers. I have changed my passwords so many times, adding capital letters and numbers but it seems to me Yahoo still gets hacked. Ergo, they have poor security features and must upgrade lest they lose their members.

Comment

Using different password for each site is a safe measure. However, if you are going to a lot of sites regularly, you would have to remember so many passwords. Or perhaps you have a running list of your passwords. From the top of my head, I regularly visit more than 50 sites and I cannot imagine having 50 different passwords. But then again, it is not a good practice to have only one password for all the sites.

Comment

• Billy
              Billy commented
              Editing a comment
              Great thing browsers have a remember password option. I also have a notepad file in "My documents" that lists downs all of my passwords. My passwords are very long so they were really hard to remember.

Originally posted by Alexandoy View Post
            Using different password for each site is a safe measure. However, if you are going to a lot of sites regularly, you would have to remember so many passwords. Or perhaps you have a running list of your passwords. From the top of my head, I regularly visit more than 50 sites and I cannot imagine having 50 different passwords. But then again, it is not a good practice to have only one password for all the sites.
            In this case I suggest you to use a password that is different from the other passsword you use in a "high warning" context such as paypal password or your bank account password. Be sure so that even if the password is stolen it won't harm or damage in any way your financial/personal status.

Comment

That is a good idea but for someone like me who has a bad memory, it would be hard to know which password is supposed to be for a particular website. Unless you have a list of all the sites and passwords you have for each specific one but it would be a hassle to always look at that list every time you log in.

Comment

Originally posted by gracer View Post
                That is a good idea but for someone like me who has a bad memory, it would be hard to know which password is supposed to be for a particular website. Unless you have a list of all the sites and passwords you have for each specific one but it would be a hassle to always look at that list every time you log in.
                Sadly that's the weak point about this tecnique: the memory. If you manage to rememeber even 3-4 quite complicated passwords to use then you're fine in my opinion. Just don't use the same at least in sites containing sensitive data.

Comment

Originally posted by xTinx View Post
                  I'm starting to use this method even though it's really such a hassle. Why can't sites just upgrade their security features to thwart off black hat techniques? I am especially having trouble with my Yahoo accounts. Their system is too outdated and susceptible to hackers. I have changed my passwords so many times, adding capital letters and numbers but it seems to me Yahoo still gets hacked. Ergo, they have poor security features and must upgrade lest they lose their members.
                  Google has some really high security measures set up. Just put in your phone number and whenever someone tries to login, a verification code is set to the phone. You have to type it before you can login. I use it and I am at peace now. And yeah, Yahoo! sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by xTinx View Post

All email features are being upgraded, its just that hackers are getting a step ahead. I can see that your Yahoo Account gets hacked? maybe its your activity that leads to that hacking, I mean the sites you visited and used your email. I have not heard of issue of yahoo email hacking. Though in terms of websites/softwares, there is always a backdoor where a programmer may breach and enter to hack, its like a last alternative way to enter that certain software.

Comment

If I'm signing up for sites that are for fun are no financial importance, then I use the same password. All of my banking and money making ventures do have different passwords and sometimes I go as far as using different emails. Just an extra layer of protection.

Comment

One more thing people should consider to make sure everything is safe. If you are going to sign up or log in to a website, don't use your actual keyboard. Use an onscreen keyboard, it is a free software already installed on your PC that you just need to search. It will save you from keyloggers from detect your password.

On screen keyboard let's you type with your PC's mouse. It is also good for emergencies like having your actual keyboard malfunctioning. It is a very useful tool that is already on your PC that you usually ignore.

Comment

That's very essential, I would also say using perhaps an email address that doesn't contain the real information is a good idea as well, but it's very important to use different passwords as I also do that because before in the past I've been scammed in a video game due to that. It was even friends who did that.

Comment

Working...
                          X