Those fake paypal emails

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those fake paypal emails

I think my online bank accounts almost got hacked. I received an email from "Paypal" that says my account has been suspended and if I want it to be restored I have to click the link they provided. I almost clicked it but instead, I decided to log in to Paypal and I discovered the email I received is a lie. My account is not suspended. If I clicked that link something bad could have happened to my Paypal account. My Paypal account is connected to my bank account,debit card and credit card. I think I dodged a bullet. My hand is still shaking from what happened. I don't know how those hackers got my email. I hope sharing this experience will save people from being scammed. if I clicked that link, it could have ruined my life.
    Last edited by Billy; 05-19-2015, 01:03 AM.
    talk2me likes this.

Just to be safe, PayPal recommends that you forward the entire email to spoof@paypal.com (do not alter the subject line or forward the message as an attachment) and then delete it from your email account.
    Billy likes this.

Comment

• Billy
      Billy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for that useful info. I am now going to report that hooligan. I don't want anybody near my bank account. It's really bad that these people can't be sent to jail because they were from a country with flawed laws that protects them.

Ahh,you really did dodge a bullet.Those fellas assumed Nigerian (based on Stats) send out phising mails because the prey will then click on it unknowingly.
    Make sure you check each email's domain name,because most often they would send it as xxx@paypal.com and then you can notice a via %&*#.com
    As dillinger10 stated,it is wise to forward emails to their dept so that they can look into it,also add it to your spam filter,so anything like that and gmail will filter it for you.
    Take care,Be protected always

Comment

Originally posted by bala View Post
      Ahh,you really did dodge a bullet.Those fellas assumed Nigerian (based on Stats) send out phising mails because the prey will then click on it unknowingly.
      Make sure you check each email's domain name,because most often they would send it as xxx@paypal.com and then you can notice a via %&*#.com
      As dillinger10 stated,it is wise to forward emails to their dept so that they can look into it,also add it to your spam filter,so anything like that and gmail will filter it for you.
      Take care,Be protected always
      Aha! The infamous Nigerian Prince! Have seen so many of his fake mails!
      But I don't think that just by clicking a link your account could be hacked. It would either ask you for information or else download some virus/trojan to your computer. That is why I recommend to always use a good anti virus.
      Billy likes this.

Comment

My buddy ran into this problem a long time ago. He asked me what to do about this random emails from paypal. I told him never trust email. Go log into paypal and see if there is any validity in the matter.
        Billy likes this.

Comment

I had the same exact thing happen to me , but it was with my Amazon account. It looked suspicious, and the wording was just off.
          For instance, they said that if i didn't update my password and informaion that "my amazon account would be closed forever" . I knew that there was NO way that Amazon would send a message like that; so I contacted customer service.
          Amazon also has a place to send these emails. It is called stopspoofing@amazon.com , so if you should receive something like this , forward the spoofing email to amazon right away.

I have also read that people are receiving phone calls supposedly from the police or even the IRS and asking for information, and threatening arrest if you do not tell them.
          We just have to check everything closely for these scams nowdays.
          Billy likes this.

Comment

• Billy
            Billy commented
            Editing a comment
            I actually have an Amazon account, I use it for buying ebooks. I am sure Amazon will have no reason to suspend me so If I will receive a similar email, I will use the one you provided. These people have no conscience. They want to steal the fruits of our hardwork. It is really disturbing that these predators are lurking around the internet.

Originally posted by calicer1996 View Post
          Aha! The infamous Nigerian Prince! Have seen so many of his fake mails!
          But I don't think that just by clicking a link your account could be hacked. It would either ask you for information or else download some virus/trojan to your computer. That is why I recommend to always use a good anti virus.
          Lol,no i don't mean to tell they can take everything with a click of ours,but if you are one imbecile of sorts who clicks that link,enters your login information,then that's easy prey for them.I have heard of their rats and key logger programs that steal data over the due course of time,to avoid any suspicious activity the user may detect.

Comment

I found out that companies sell the resume's of the rejected applicants to spammers and telemarketers and use personal information like phone number and email as leads.

Keylogger programs are the reason why I check my bank accounts, Paypal account and ebay account with my Ipad. I know someone who lost all of her social media account after a keylogger got installed on her computer. Someone is now using her social media accounts for spamming. I am sure you guys are familiar with this spam:

My Step Aunt's sister is now earning Blah blah blah!

Many of those spammers are stolen accounts.

Comment

Yeah, you do have to be careful. I don't click links in emails, for the most part. Unless I'm absolutely sure where it's from, no. You can even turn off HTML and hyperlinks in your email. Your antivirus should also protect you from going to bad sites. It should warn you as soon as you click, if you do click. I make it a habit to never give out my info. If it's for real, you'll hear from them again, and they'll prove who they are.

It's also better to open a new browser and then go to the website yourself to see if anything is up. I'm glad you didn't get ripped off.

Comment

I will be devastated if that happened to me. I am still receiving those suspicious fake Paypal email and I never hesitated to report them now. if I won't report them, They might end up sending the message to an easy to manipulate person. i think reporting them will save many lives from getting ruined financially.

Comment

Thank you for this thread because I may be duped by those email. Sometimes I am always in a hurry so when I read something like that there is a tendency for me to click. And my paypal contains an ample balance that it would be regrettable if it would be stolen. Thanks for the warning, I really appreciate it.

Comment

My whole livelihood relies on my PayPal account so I don't let those scammers get me. I don't want other people to fall for their traps too. We don't know what they do to the money they stole. They could a dangerous group of terrorists. No one should let their account s fall in the wrong hands. The only person should handle your money is you. It is better to be safe than sorry. It is a great thing we can now report those suspicious emails before they lay eggs.

Comment

We must be aware and it is good you did not bite the bait. As for that matter, be sure to check the senders address. Check if the email sender is using a real paypal email like for example is support@paypal.com using their domain as their mail -- "@paypal.com". This is where you can check if it is really an email coming from PayPal. As long as it is using "@paypal.com" it is a safe email and legit from paypal, if not it is surely a spam trying to scam you

Comment

Originally posted by Jade Mae View Post
                        We must be aware and it is good you did not bite the bait. As for that matter, be sure to check the senders address. Check if the email sender is using a real paypal email like for example is support@paypal.com using their domain as their mail -- "@paypal.com". This is where you can check if it is really an email coming from PayPal. As long as it is using "@paypal.com" it is a safe email and legit from paypal, if not it is surely a spam trying to scam you
                        No.Its tough to jump to that conclusion.
                        Senders also use a trailing domain that is sometimes not visible.
                        It will still be Support@paypal.com,but if u dig deep into the HTML editor,you can see via xxxyyy.com
                        So that domain is a platform that is used to deceive people.

Look at this

​Btw This is legit oly,you can trust this link :P

Comment

I received emails from Paypal@yahoo.com.ng and other obviously fake emails you can imagine. Why would I believe PayPal is going to use yahoo and gmail as email service providers when they have their own. I am worried for all the people who will fall for their scare tactic because the emails they send is very imposing and intimidating.
                          Last edited by Billy; 06-03-2015, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X