The Use Of Nail Polish In Protecting Your Data

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Use Of Nail Polish In Protecting Your Data

When you want to know if your laptop or any hardware device has been tampered with, then you should just apply glittery nail polish to the screws or any opening that it has, so that you will know if it has indeed been tampered with. How? Read this article for more info: http://www.wired.com/2013/12/better-...y-nail-polish/

So would you be willing to do this when you are travelling or when you simply just want to physically secure your device?

I would be willing to do this to ensure the safety of my laptop's data but the article doesn't say where or how one might apply the nail polish. Should I place it on my laptop's mousepad or on my keyboard? Should I place it on my hard drives or my DVD-rom? I guess it's subject to the discretion of the owner.

Comment

Originally posted by xTinx View Post
      I would be willing to do this to ensure the safety of my laptop's data but the article doesn't say where or how one might apply the nail polish. Should I place it on my laptop's mousepad or on my keyboard? Should I place it on my hard drives or my DVD-rom? I guess it's subject to the discretion of the owner.
      Pls read the article and find this.
      Once painted over screws or onto stickers placed over ports, it is difficult to replicate once broken.By taking the picture with a cellphone that is kept with you at all times, you can be reasonably sure the original picture hasn’t been tampered with or replaced.

Read it again to understand better.

Comment

false security, unless you are going to remove the wireless, bluetooth and other connectivity from your machine. Along with USB ports, firewire and the like.

An encrypted hard drive would be much more effective.

Comment

Huh. Considering that I myself open my laptop every now and then, I think that would not work for me.

Also, I agree that encrypting the hard drive is a better solution. My stepfather is a technician and he had all these different things -- impossible to even get his computer to boot if you did not know the code, and he even had a sort of physical lock to keep his laptop secure if he was in a café and going to the washroom or something.

Comment

kd3pc, Come to think of it, maybe that tip is only effective if your pc or laptop has some password upon booting up that ensures you that only you can access your data. cilaos, Getting your pc to not boot without a password is something that I can definitely use to prevent intentional installation of malware when the pc is unattended. Can you tell me how it's done, if you don't mind? Thanks.

Comment

It might be better to just download some programs that can sense tampered with information, if there are weird times where files have been accessed, that might be tampered with. I use AVG and Avast! antivirus to check my files and notify me when I've modified important files.

Comment

I have never considered that. I used AVG, but maybe the one that I used doesn't have that feature or I just haven't modified the default settings. I now use another anti-virus, ClamWin, so I would have to re-install AVG again. Did you modify any of the settings in there or the file checking was activated already in the default setting?

Comment

I suppose I might be different than those who have to travel and take their PC with them, but my solution is just to never take my PC anywhere. I really don't like the idea of marking up my equipment with fingernail polish! If I need information, then I have access to it with my smartphone and that is much more portable. If I absolutely had to take my PC somewhere I would treat it like my purse and never let it out of my sight! A person would have to kill me to get my purse or my laptop from my grasp.

Comment

You got a point, since doing so will uglify your pc. But it will chip in time anyway. Come to think of it, that article is quite odd, but it can be useful for those who want to follow it. I guess it's targeted towards the businessman who has to look at Excel or Powerpoint documents while traveling.

Comment

But I would prefer to take a snap of my laptop in my mobile and compare it for any possible tampering. in the case of nail polish what if the thief put the polish back there after doing what he intended to do. But it is a viable solution if he could not arrange for the same colour of nail polish. Another thing you can try is to put a sicker with your signature or something like that. It should be something which cannot be easily replaced.

Comment

It only ensures that someone doesn't steal the hardwares not passwords and other softwares. Nowadays hackers have advanced and they do not need to break into your hardware to get the data they want . Hackers have known of how to hack different computers and devices through their codes that they hide in simple files such a photos and songs. Some free softwares that we download can also be used to steal our passwords. Unsecured networks can also compromise with your computer's security.

Comment

I think unless your currently working for the secret service in your spare time, I'm not sure that people really need to go to those lengths in order to protect their equipment.

In the future, I think the main threats will come online and will attack software and interrupt people's connections like there as been on a few occasions already, rather than there being any actual physical risk when you have to secure your hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by sidney View Post
                            When you want to know if your laptop or any hardware device has been tampered with, then you should just apply glittery nail polish to the screws or any opening that it has, so that you will know if it has indeed been tampered with.
                            This is... well, a bit strange, isn't it? I'm not sure what good it would do knowing if someone tampered with my laptop... the deed would already be done. I'd personally choose to protect it so no one can *get* to my data (as someone suggested here, through encryption) rather than just be alerted that it was tampered with... that would mean it was too late to do anything about it.

Kind of like the old trick of putting a string in the door so you can tell if someone had been in the house/room. It really doesn't do any good to know someone was there... too late. Gotta prevent them from getting in from the beginning!

Comment

This is more like an after-the-crime tool, not a preventive tool. For me, I would probably use encryption tools to ensure the safety of my files. As much as I can, I use passwords for all my devices. Then these passwords must be difficult to crack passwords as well. Aside from that, for every site I visit, I make sure that it's a safe site. After every internet browser session, I make sure to clear my cookies and history. I don't download any suspicious files that are sent to me.

As for using this nail polish technique, maybe I would when I think that my laptop's been compromised. I don't really tinker with my laptop's ports or hardware so it isn't much of a problem with me to use nail polish on it. As I've said, it cannot prevent the crime, it's just a tool to know if someone did tinkered with your laptop.

Comment

Working...
                              X